Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 246

Thread: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

  1. #141
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Then, we'll have to have to turn the ATF, DEA, whomever, into the license and tax cops for pot seeds and growing equipment.
    by that reasoning, we should eliminate fishing license laws too. what with the heavy costs of enforcement, better just to ban this recreational activity outright.

  2. #142
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I don't think it is. The black market cigarette industry is larger than the illegal drug industry.

    Cigarette Smuggling Linked to Terrorism (washingtonpost.com)

    North Country Gazette » Illegal Cigarette Traffickers Snuffed Out
    No.. it is not. I am telling you first hand it is not. You had AQ involved in cigarette trafficking in the 90s, sure, but again, that doesn't mean the size of the general black market to be larger than the illegal drug industry. Thats just a retarded notion.

  3. #143
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

    here is my thoughts on it, this is one issue that not even 10 years ago a lot of you would be totally against and probably a lot of you would have been totally for. To me it makes perfect sense however. Create the medical and perhaps even recreational marijuana industry and put a sin-tax on them similar to that of cigarettes and alcohol. You will greatly reduce prison and jail populations, reduce the need for such large police forces in certain cities, and save the federal government a lot of time and money as well. This policy is only positive all around. Of course, productiveness can go down, I recall studies saying habitual tokers are 10% less productive but hey, Im sure habitual drinkers are too. I could seriously see the passing of this law make things better for USA in more than one way. Totally for it.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  4. #144
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,317

    Re: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    by that reasoning, we should eliminate fishing license laws too. what with the heavy costs of enforcement, better just to ban this recreational activity outright.

    Part of fishing/hunting license fees go to conservation.

  5. #145
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Part of fishing/hunting license fees go to conservation.
    part of drug tax fees would go to rehabilitation.

  6. #146
    Professor
    sookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In my own world.
    Last Seen
    06-27-17 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,838

    Re: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

    The reason why this law is so maddening, is because the laws are not consistent. When I was growing up, I was forced to be a part of multiple DARE cop lectures throughout the years. The premise of the government's argument against drugs, are the fact that they are unhealthy.

    So why is alcohol and tobacco legal again? There is the inconsistency. If you want marijuana to be illegal, then be consistent and make alcohol and tobacco illegal because they are more unhealthy than marijuana. If you want alcohol and tobacco to remain legal, then there is no reason to keep marijuana illegal. Simple as that.

  7. #147
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,317

    Re: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    part of drug tax fees would go to rehabilitation.
    It will?...........

  8. #148
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It will?...........
    sure, if we work to implement it in such a way.

  9. #149
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,317

    Re: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    sure, if we work to implement it in such a way.
    Color me not all that confident of a happy ending with yet another governmental good intention.

  10. #150
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,896
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Ron Paul, Barney Frank team up to legalize marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And, when the government figures out that they are losing billions in revenue, because people are growing their own pot, they will make private pot growing, illegal.
    Much like they did with growing our own mint and basil and tobacco. Yes, I see your point. It's entirely inevitable. No possibility of anything else happening.
    But, in the interest of debate, for the sake of argument, could you provide some evidence that this an inevitability?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    My whole point, is that the, "it will create tax revenue", and, "we'll save money because we won't have to enforce the law", arguments are crap, because neither are true.
    It would be cool if you could provide some substantial evidence that if pot were legalized that it would still require the same amount of money to enforce the laws related to it. Before that, though, you should show that there would be laws that were in need of enforcing if pot were legalized. After that, you can show how the enforcement of these laws would cost as much as the cost of the current laws.
    Last edited by Simon W. Moon; 06-27-11 at 11:26 AM.
    I may be wrong.

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •