Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 56 of 56

Thread: Obama Gets 30% of Americans Certain to Support Re-Election in Economy Poll

  1. #51
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama Gets 30% of Americans Certain to Support Re-Election in Economy Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Ofcourse I want a strong candidate, with less government, fiscal responsible, pro liberty goals. Certainly not what we have now.

    And to think that we would let liberals tell us how to select our candidate is absurd....

    Worry about your own disaster currently occupying the WH before you try and choose ours.

    j-mac
    J, no where have I ever suggested you let liberals pick your candidate. I have only said choosing someone who one can't win, who isn't strong, who is a nutter, serves neither you nor me. While some democrats want republicans to choose someone likel Palin or Bachman, being as they would assure Obama a second term, I would prefer a strong, more valid candidate. This is not me picking your candidate, but simply pulling for republicans to do better. This would help the country more than the continued election of the lesser of two evils.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #52
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Obama Gets 30% of Americans Certain to Support Re-Election in Economy Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    J, no where have I ever suggested you let liberals pick your candidate. I have only said choosing someone who one can't win, who isn't strong, who is a nutter, serves neither you nor me. While some democrats want republicans to choose someone likel Palin or Bachman, being as they would assure Obama a second term, I would prefer a strong, more valid candidate. This is not me picking your candidate, but simply pulling for republicans to do better. This would help the country more than the continued election of the lesser of two evils.

    Ok, fair enough, but the classification of who is, or is not a "nutter", "incompetent", or any other characterization you wish to label GOP candidates with is of course your opinion, but still not helpful since we in the GOP don't really need Demo's approval. As to assuring Obama a second term, I think you may be jumping the gun just a tad on declaring victory regardless of whom is nominated at this early stage. Every day reports come out about the golfer n chief that are NOT complementary to his campaign, and if the misery index stays where its at today, he is in real trouble regardless of who runs.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #53
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama Gets 30% of Americans Certain to Support Re-Election in Economy Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Ok, fair enough, but the classification of who is, or is not a "nutter", "incompetent", or any other characterization you wish to label GOP candidates with is of course your opinion, but still not helpful since we in the GOP don't really need Demo's approval. As to assuring Obama a second term, I think you may be jumping the gun just a tad on declaring victory regardless of whom is nominated at this early stage. Every day reports come out about the golfer n chief that are NOT complementary to his campaign, and if the misery index stays where its at today, he is in real trouble regardless of who runs.

    j-mac
    America will not vote for a Palin or a Bachman. They are just too out there to have any real shot, no matter how much they may or may not want another Obama term. remember, most of America doesn't hold the same extreme views or the partisan on either side.

    I do believe a valid candidate can be Obama. Even a weak cnadidate might be able to if the candidate isn't too extreme or silly. What bothers me about republicans right now has been their inability to field a solid candidate. And the high support the more extreme and frankly nutter candidates have.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #54
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Obama Gets 30% of Americans Certain to Support Re-Election in Economy Poll

    obvious Child;1059594569]And mindless hacks who lack even the most basic critical thinking skills. Unfortunately, there are plenty here.
    Yes there are .. from both sides .. sadly ..

    Absolutely. Which in a way, was stupid for Obama to release his birth certificate. The longer he keeps the GOP off the economy, the more likely he's to win with a bad economy. But on the flip side, the faster he gets them to commit to stupid plans like Palwenty's (who would actually push us into default) the more likely he's going to get the college educated crowd who understands a bit about finance. But that's a small voting block to b sure.
    I really don't want to get into Palwenty's plan, because there are some things in it that I don't agree with either, but you have to commend him for at least presenting a plan. Something no one on either side seems capable of doing. To me a plan is just that in politics .. it's something you put on the table then start to haggle over.



    I'm not sure he can. The problem is not supply. Corporations are sitting on $2 trillion of cash. They aren't investing and hiring because demand is just not there DESPITE the market being up leaps and bounds from the worst of the recession. Honesty, though, the GOP's current candidates are basically jokes when it comes to the economy. Most of them would cut spending so dramatically we'd see a new recession and higher deficits due to automatic stabilizers and less tax revenue. I'm really just waiting for Huntsman and Romney to release an actual, adult, intelligent plan. Right now it's a joke.
    Thats the problem with this election, and this will help obama, as you say someone comes out with a plan it's going to be painful to a lot of people... and obama by presenting no plan, will be able to point out all those going to be hurt, while doing is best to paint a rosy picture of him doing nothing. So it would be best of a candidate to remain very vague on his plan.



    Reasonable is key though.
    Aye reasonable maybe the key, however lets not forget that when obama won the public was so fed up with so called fiscal conservatives, and their policies... that in my opinion it didn't matter what republican ran they were going to lose . If he doesn't turn this economy around to so degree … the same thing might just well apply.



    Not to mention that the GOP would have much to gain from basically killing the economy. The worse the economy is, the better they'd do which in a way is massively un-American as they'd benefit from more unemployment and more suffering.
    nods just as the dems had to gain by the economy falling apart when it did ... the big issue on the war in Iraq suddenly changed when the surge began to do what it was suppose to do .. without the economy colapsing when it did .. I'm not all that sure Obama would have carried the election..... so manipulation of our economy isn't restricted to just one side for political gain.

    As for Business though, they exist to make a profit. Intentionally shooting yourself in the foot doesn't make sense no matter who's in office. Furthermore, CEOs tend not to be idiots and I'd gather many of them realize that whoever wins the next election is going to make tough decisions that will hurt them regardless. There is no realistic way to balance the budget and start reducing the debt without significant tax hikes and major cuts, neither of which are good for a consumer based economy. Anyone who argues this can be done with just tax cuts or spending cuts is lying or delusional.
    As I said I have no facts .. . it's just kinda a gut feeling I have .. not saying they have to destroy anything .. it wouldn't take much to dip the markets back down . .and rise umemployment again for a short period of time .. . after all as liberals are so fond of pointing out . .many of these companies are making record profits ... (my belief is that much of it comes from them investing in the stock market) so a smaller dip then 2008 .. but big enough to make people say see I told you so .. to get 4 years of more favorable treatment by a new president would be a small price to pay.

    Not saying it's right ... but here I agree with liberals .. our government is ran by big business .. . I wouldn't put something like that past them .. enough so that as I said . . I'll pull my money from the stock market as I did in 06' ..... if I'm wrong .. I lose a little bit .. if right .. I'll be right back in about March of 2013 As I said just a gut feeling .. but if big business wanted Obama out .. what better way to assure it happen then cause the the dip ?
    Last edited by The Barbarian; 06-28-11 at 02:06 AM.

  5. #55
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Obama Gets 30% of Americans Certain to Support Re-Election in Economy Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    America will not vote for a Palin or a Bachman. They are just too out there to have any real shot, no matter how much they may or may not want another Obama term. remember, most of America doesn't hold the same extreme views or the partisan on either side.

    I do believe a valid candidate can be Obama. Even a weak cnadidate might be able to if the candidate isn't too extreme or silly. What bothers me about republicans right now has been their inability to field a solid candidate. And the high support the more extreme and frankly nutter candidates have.
    While you make a valid point, in ordinary times .. I would agree with you … however these aren't ordinary times. We are in rough times, if by the election of 2012 things haven't gotten better, we will have seen that... it is in fact true that we can't spend our way out of this. So people will be looking for a far more conservative approach.

    The best candidate will be the one that will stand up and tell you that we are in for some tough times, and that “all” Americans are going to feel the pain, while at the same time not being overly specific about his plan. Because Obama has that art down to a science, let the other person give the plan then attack it full bore while presenting no viable plan of your own.

    As for the candidates .. you can shelf you hope that Palin is running .. cause she isn't .. I personlly like Bachman, but she makes to many stupid blunders … to be a serious contender that would have to stop Romney probably has the best chance of those right now .. because of his business sense, he will lose some conservatives because of the failure of “his” health care plan in his home state. ( the very same failed plan that our national health care plan is formulated from) Ron Paul, -chuckles- sorry but Donald had it right .. he can't win.

    In My opinion of those that are now in the race .. it's between Huntsman and Romney …. Two that might make it interesting should they decide to run .. is Perry .. and Scott Brown.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obama Gets 30% of Americans Certain to Support Re-Election in Economy Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    While you make a valid point, in ordinary times .. I would agree with you … however these aren't ordinary times. We are in rough times, if by the election of 2012 things haven't gotten better, we will have seen that... it is in fact true that we can't spend our way out of this. So people will be looking for a far more conservative approach.

    The best candidate will be the one that will stand up and tell you that we are in for some tough times, and that “all” Americans are going to feel the pain, while at the same time not being overly specific about his plan. Because Obama has that art down to a science, let the other person give the plan then attack it full bore while presenting no viable plan of your own.

    As for the candidates .. you can shelf you hope that Palin is running .. cause she isn't .. I personlly like Bachman, but she makes to many stupid blunders … to be a serious contender that would have to stop Romney probably has the best chance of those right now .. because of his business sense, he will lose some conservatives because of the failure of “his” health care plan in his home state. ( the very same failed plan that our national health care plan is formulated from) Ron Paul, -chuckles- sorry but Donald had it right .. he can't win.

    In My opinion of those that are now in the race .. it's between Huntsman and Romney …. Two that might make it interesting should they decide to run .. is Perry .. and Scott Brown.
    I thinkn telling us about the hard times will go against the popular it's moring in America that Reagan used. Too often we want to hear it is good, we're good, great. There is little room in that for telling the truth. But I admit I would love to hear them speak honestly. It would be a refeshing change many on all sides would enjoy. But not enough to make it pofitable I fear.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •