Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 172

Thread: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

  1. #161
    User CarlF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    07-31-11 @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    125

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Ah, yes, here's your American atheist in full form.
    Don't extend the nitpicking of one group to all atheists. I'm an atheist, but I don't think the mere use of the word 'heaven' on a street sign is an endorsement of Christianity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Question: If you truly believe there is no such thing as God, and therefore our lives and deaths don't really mean anything, why do you care? Why is this such a big deal? Is this not like scolding people for watching vampire movies, or children for watching Barney?
    Just because someone doesn't believe there is a higher meaning doesn't mean that human life is worthless, and so it doesn't mean atheists don't have a position on anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Or is it......you crave worth and attention and must be acknowledged no matter what.
    No, and you have not shown this to be the case in any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Atheists are funny. They've created an existence out of nothing. I don't believe in unicorns, but I didn't fashion a title for myself, nor do I practice within a group, to acknowledge that I don't believe in unicorns.
    Maybe that's because there isn't a large group of people who worship unicorns and make decisions accordingly. The question of the existence of god and the ramifications of god's existence or non-existence has always been a key question in human thought, that's why the term atheist is used. And that's why your unicorn example is meaningless.

  2. #162
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    According to polls over 40% of our country holds false overlapping magisteria, if you don't think these people exist by the millions you're deluding yourself.
    People exist by the millions that have all sorts of crazy ideas.....so? But, if you think simply because someone believes in God, they fit your bill, you are wrong.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #163
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,891

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    People exist by the millions that have all sorts of crazy ideas.....so
    So? You claimed that such a comment was not evidence of religious thought when in fact it represents the MAJORITY of religious thought in America.

    You cannot pretend that these are fringe claims. Certainly there are more sophisticated theologians but they are the MINORITY.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    But, if you think simply because someone believes in God, they fit your bill, you are wrong.
    I never said that at all.
    Last edited by Spartacus FPV; 06-30-11 at 07:14 PM.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  4. #164
    Student SPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Last Seen
    10-02-11 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    215

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Sounds like another attempt to make laws prohibiting the practice of religion to me. Another direct violation of the 1st Amendment.

  5. #165
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,891

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    Sounds like another attempt to make laws prohibiting the practice of religion to me. Another direct violation of the 1st Amendment.
    What does? How?
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  6. #166
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    Sounds like another attempt to make laws prohibiting the practice of religion to me. Another direct violation of the 1st Amendment.
    What other laws exist in the US that prohibit the practice of religion?
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  7. #167
    Student Marshabar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    11-09-13 @ 10:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    293

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims - FoxNews.com



    Ah, yes, here's your American atheist in full form.

    Question: If you truly believe there is no such thing as God, and therefore our lives and deaths don't really mean anything, why do you care? Why is this such a big deal? Is this not like scolding people for watching vampire movies, or children for watching Barney?

    Or is it......you crave worth and attention and must be acknowledged no matter what.

    Atheists are funny. They've created an existence out of nothing. I don't believe in unicorns, but I didn't fashion a title for myself, nor do I practice within a group, to acknowledge that I don't believe in unicorns.
    Atheism is an anti-Christ belief system apparently. They are anti anything Christian. That's why they care. Their religion is based on the Bible. It's just that they are anti-Bible. So it isn't surprising that they would care. Christianity and the Bible are the basis of their anti-faith.

    "It's not surprising, then, he gets bitter, he clings to golf clubs or basketballs or antipathy to white people who aren't like him or anti-American sentiment or anti-capitalist sentiment as a way to explain his frustrations." ~ Helianthus

  8. #168
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,891

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by Marshabar View Post
    Atheism is an anti-Christ belief system apparently. They are anti anything Christian. That's why they care. Their religion is based on the Bible. It's just that they are anti-Bible. So it isn't surprising that they would care. Christianity and the Bible are the basis of their anti-faith.
    Atheism is not a belief system. Some atheists are opposed to the notion of faith, belief without evidence, because they they have standards for accepting truths (logic and reason.)

    What does it mean to be anti-bible, aside from regarding it as just another book, and a poorly written one at that? Does not accepting Jesus as the son of the creator of the universe make one "Anti-Christ(tian)"? What does that even mean and how is it a bad thing? Knowing that reason is superior to faith as a means to knowledge is not "anti" anything but credulousness, gullibility, and bull****.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  9. #169
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Last Seen
    12-16-11 @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    71

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims - FoxNews.com



    Ah, yes, here's your American atheist in full form.

    Question: If you truly believe there is no such thing as God, and therefore our lives and deaths don't really mean anything, why do you care? Why is this such a big deal? Is this not like scolding people for watching vampire movies, or children for watching Barney?

    Or is it......you crave worth and attention and must be acknowledged no matter what.

    Atheists are funny. They've created an existence out of nothing. I don't believe in unicorns, but I didn't fashion a title for myself, nor do I practice within a group, to acknowledge that I don't believe in unicorns.
    I agree with you, perhaps surprisingly. I am, of course, atheistic, just in the general nature of things, being Russian and British and a former soldier etc., I've never found a good argument for God that resonated with me. But I don't go around ranting about my beliefs, nor do I label myself an Atheist, capital A important. I think it's bloody stupid for them to be getting their nose out of joints about a bloody street name.

    Though I'd say it'd be equally as stupid for a Christian or Muslim to have a tiff over 'Darwin Boulevard'.

  10. #170
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Is there a difference between an atheist and an agnostic?

    If so, what?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •