Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 172

Thread: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    The flying spaghetti monster is not a label for your god, it is an example to show that the inability to disprove a notion is in no way a reason to believe said claim.

    I dunno about this unicorn thing, you'll have to quote someone using it in context as a pejorative for your god.
    You can do a search by post for unicorn.

  2. #152
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    The flying spaghetti monster is not a label for your god, it is an example to show that the inability to disprove a notion is in no way a reason to believe said claim.

    I dunno about this unicorn thing, you'll have to quote someone using it in context as a pejorative for your god.
    Unicorns, leprechauns, spaghetti monsters are used exactly as you say. It seems many religious people often like to play the victim card or are too stupid to recognize the point being made--believing that leprechauns/unicorns/FSM are simply a tool to mock rather than to present a valid point.

    I've been tempted to make a thread addressing this problem but I figured that would simply fall on deaf ears.
    Last edited by scourge99; 06-25-11 at 03:08 AM.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  3. #153
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Theist will forever lose these arguments because they preach ignorance on the subject. When I say they preach ignorance I mean they encourage people not to learn about evolution and/or other beliefs systems. Many believe that honestly delving into such subjects is an example of tempting the devil or testing God and demonstrates a lack of faith.

    The average atheist knows way more about religion than the average theist knows about subjects such as evolution and oftentimes atheists know more about religion than theists.
    Last edited by BayToBay; 06-25-11 at 11:58 AM.

  4. #154
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Has anyone ever said "sky daddy" in the history of DP?

    *searching*... EDIT: Thats a negative, only you and American (Christian)

    I've heard "invisible man in the sky" or "great surveilance camera in the sky" maybe....
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/archiv...tml#post383977

    Right there, buster.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #155
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Unicorns, leprechauns, spaghetti monsters are used exactly as you say. It seems many religious people often like to play the victim card or are too stupid to recognize the point being made--believing that leprechauns/unicorns/FSM are simply a tool to mock rather than to present a valid point.

    I've been tempted to make a thread addressing this problem but I figured that would simply fall on deaf ears.
    Here are a couple of people you would consider morons for believeing in a higher power.

    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #156
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Interesting, that one didn't come up when I searched for it.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  7. #157
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    Theist will forever lose these arguments because they preach ignorance on the subject. When I say they preach ignorance I mean they encourage people not to learn about evolution and/or other beliefs systems. Many believe that honestly delving into such subjects is an example of tempting the devil or testing God and demonstrates a lack of faith.

    The average atheist knows way more about religion than the average theist knows about subjects such as evolution and oftentimes atheists know more about religion than theists.
    Evolution is science.
    Theism/atheism is philosophy.
    Two totally different things. One does not have to prove evolution in order to be an atheist, nor does one have to reject it in order to be a theist.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #158
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Evolution is science.
    Theism/atheism is philosophy.
    Two totally different things. One does not have to prove evolution in order to be an atheist, nor does one have to reject it in order to be a theist.
    Ah, the ol Non-overlapping magisteria argument, But what about the area's where the two overlap?

    Like when a theist makes a reality based claim, like about the age of the earth, which conflicts with geological/archaeological evidence?
    Last edited by Spartacus FPV; 06-26-11 at 02:18 AM.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  9. #159
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Ah, the ol Non-overlapping magisteria argument, But what about the area's where the two overlap?

    Like when a theist makes a reality based claim, like about the age of the earth, which conflicts with geological/archaeological evidence?
    This is usually done by someone that knows as little about their own religion as they do about science. Taking such a comment as evidence of religious thought is as asinine as the comment itself.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #160
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    This is usually done by someone that knows as little about their own religion as they do about science. Taking such a comment as evidence of religious thought is as asinine as the comment itself.
    According to polls over 40% of our country holds false overlapping magisteria, if you don't think these people exist by the millions you're deluding yourself.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •