Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 172

Thread: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

  1. #131
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    They are making a choice as well, and they made the choice first. So why is the onus on me regarding the offense? Hmmm?
    How can I express my beliefs without somebody being offended if that person decides that having a personal opinion is offensive? If we're discussing religious belief and I express that I personally believe the bible is fiction, how is that intentionally offensive? It can only be if you cannot separate my ideology from your own. So long as you can separate them, there is no cause for offense. It is your choice to make.
    Last edited by tessaesque; 06-24-11 at 01:48 PM.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  2. #132
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    They are making a choice as well, and they made the choice first. So why is the onus on me regarding the offense? Hmmm?
    Because you're supposed to be the one to take the high road. You know, offer the other cheek. Isn't that what you Christians are taught?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    How can I express my beliefs without somebody being offended if that person decides that having a personal opinion is offensive? If we're discussing religious belief and I express that I personally believe the bible is fiction, how is that intentionally offensive? It can only be if you cannot separate my ideology from your own. So long as you can separate them, there is no cause for offense. It is your choice to make.
    If that's as far as it goes, Not a Problem. If you go on to point out I may be mentally unhinged if I do believe the Bible to be the inspired Word of God? Now you're showing your ass.

  4. #134
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    If that's as far as it goes, Not a Problem. If you go on to point out I may be mentally unhinged if I do believe the Bible to be the inspired Word of God? Now you're showing your ass.
    Not an implication I've ever made, or tried to make....with anybody who appeared sane. I guess the point I was making is when you say every atheist is offensive, part of what you're saying is that you're offended by every atheist. That's like saying I'm offended by every Christian. Perhaps the problem is with me, not them, at that point.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  5. #135
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims - FoxNews.com



    Ah, yes, here's your American atheist in full form.

    Question: If you truly believe there is no such thing as God, and therefore our lives and deaths don't really mean anything, why do you care? Why is this such a big deal? Is this not like scolding people for watching vampire movies, or children for watching Barney?

    Or is it......you crave worth and attention and must be acknowledged no matter what.

    Atheists are funny. They've created an existence out of nothing. I don't believe in unicorns, but I didn't fashion a title for myself, nor do I practice within a group, to acknowledge that I don't believe in unicorns.
    That's funny. Talk about taking it personally...and it kinda flies in the face of saying Atheism is not a religion. If it weren't why would a sign indicating a different view be so offensive? After all, it's really just a name....the name of a street. How does it differ from these when you think about it:
    15 Funniest Street and Roads Names - Oddee.com
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #136
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,527

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Okay .. you seem like someone I can at least ask questions of ..
    So you believe in evolution … .
    I believe that the scientific method as the best way to determine how the world works. Saying that I "believe in" evolution implies that it is some kind of religious philosophy.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    the point I was trying to make .. and apparently failed … is why don't we continue to see forms of evolution from where ever it is that it's claimed we evolved from. What I'm asking .. is once the big brained human formed .. was it just a one shot deal … or did more form 100 … 500 .. 1000 years later .. and why isn't it a continuous cycle.
    It is a continuous set of gradual changes. I'm not so sure that "cycle" is the best term, as that implies a repeating process, like the water cycle.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    I'm not taking your post as putting me down .. and your right .. I don't understand evolution because to my simple mind .. it doesn't make sense I look at evolution as a process so why isn't that process repeating it's self ???
    I'm not sure what you mean by repeating itself. Evolution is a continuous process that has been going on for an incomprehensible length of time, and has not stopped. There is no reason to expect that human beings are the end result and that evolution is therefore finished. There is some evidence, in fact, that human evolution is accelerating.



    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying . And perhaps I'm using the wrong time frame .. so lets take your genus Astralopithecus example a quick look up . puts that back 4 million years ago .. .so why haven't we found and example of it that is 3 million years old .. then another that is 2 million years old .. yet another that is 1 million years old . Or did the evolution just stop with the appearance of genus Astralopithecus ? If not why didn't something continue to evolve into genus Astralopithecus ??
    The evolution you're talking about is a gradual change, and yes, hominids from 4 million years ago are more primitive - meaning less like modern humans - than are ones from 2 million years ago. Here is some information about the evolution of hominids.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    I'm not a religious nut case .. and I question a lot of things .. usually when someone who believes starts pressing me on my believes or the bible .. I have question for them as well . Not because I think they are wrong . . just because I like to question things I don't understand, and when pressed I will freely admit that I don't understand all that is in .. or isn't in the bible, as well.
    Mostly, when people try to refute the theory of Evolution, it is based on an insistence that the Bible must be taken literally, or on a lack of understanding of what evolution is all about.

    There is nothing in the theory of evolution that disproves the existence of god. It does run contrary to the idea of taking the Bible literally and insisting that the Earth is only a few thousand years old, and the humans and dinosaurs once co existed. That notion is no more supportable than is the geocentric model of the universe.


    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    just a note on this .. why is it called a theory .. rather then a scientific fact ??
    Here is an explanation of the terms.

    Hypothesis: This is an educated guess based upon observation. It is a rational explanation of a single event or phenomenon based upon what is observed, but which has not been proved. Most hypotheses can be supported or refuted by experimentation or continued observation.

    Theory: A theory is what one or more hypotheses become once they have been verified and accepted to be true. A theory is an explanation of a set of related observations or events based upon proven hypotheses and verified multiple times by detached groups of researchers. Unfortunately, even some scientists often use the term "theory" in a more colloquial sense, when they really mean to say "hypothesis." That makes its true meaning in science even more confusing to the general public.

    In general, both a scientific theory and a scientific law are accepted to be true by the scientific community as a whole. Both are used to make predictions of events. Both are used to advance technology.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #137
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    How can I express my beliefs without somebody being offended if that person decides that having a personal opinion is offensive? If we're discussing religious belief and I express that I personally believe the bible is fiction, how is that intentionally offensive? It can only be if you cannot separate my ideology from your own. So long as you can separate them, there is no cause for offense. It is your choice to make.
    "I believe the Bible is fiction" is separate from "The bible is fiction, you believe in a sky daddy." Let's not pretend that many atheists choose their words with the intent to offend.

  8. #138
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,888

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    "I believe the Bible is fiction" is separate from "The bible is fiction, you believe in a sky daddy." Let's not pretend that many atheists choose their words with the intent to offend.
    Has anyone ever said "sky daddy" in the history of DP?

    *searching*... EDIT: Thats a negative, only you and American (Christian)

    I've heard "invisible man in the sky" or "great surveilance camera in the sky" maybe....
    Last edited by Spartacus FPV; 06-24-11 at 05:07 PM.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  9. #139
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I believe that the scientific method as the best way to determine how the world works. Saying that I "believe in" evolution implies that it is some kind of religious philosophy.



    It is a continuous set of gradual changes. I'm not so sure that "cycle" is the best term, as that implies a repeating process, like the water cycle.



    I'm not sure what you mean by repeating itself. Evolution is a continuous process that has been going on for an incomprehensible length of time, and has not stopped. There is no reason to expect that human beings are the end result and that evolution is therefore finished. There is some evidence, in fact, that human evolution is accelerating.





    The evolution you're talking about is a gradual change, and yes, hominids from 4 million years ago are more primitive - meaning less like modern humans - than are ones from 2 million years ago. Here is some information about the evolution of hominids.



    Mostly, when people try to refute the theory of Evolution, it is based on an insistence that the Bible must be taken literally, or on a lack of understanding of what evolution is all about.

    There is nothing in the theory of evolution that disproves the existence of god. It does run contrary to the idea of taking the Bible literally and insisting that the Earth is only a few thousand years old, and the humans and dinosaurs once co existed. That notion is no more supportable than is the geocentric model of the universe.




    Here is an explanation of the terms.
    Okay .. either I'm still not asking this properly, or for some reason you are avoiding what I am asking.

    I'm not asking about man, I'm asking about the species that evolved into man. From what little I know.. most seem to think that we evolved from apes. But you can pick any species you care to, but for the sake of clarity lets stay with apes ..

    Now .. we have man .. and we have apes still roaming this planet, so why isn't there apes in some form of that evolutionary process being found even today. Now I understand this is a very long process, but shouldn't that process be continuing? If it's not .. then why ? Did the apes just decide that seeing some had evolved into a higher life form .. that no more needed to? Why did or does the chain of evolution suddenly end? Now understand I'm not talking about man .. I'm talking about apes .. or whatever species anyone chooses to think that man came from.

  10. #140
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,888

    Re: New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 victims

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Okay .. either I'm still not asking this properly, or for some reason you are avoiding what I am asking.

    I'm not asking about man, I'm asking about the species that evolved into man. From what little I know.. most seem to think that we evolved from apes. But you can pick any species you care to, but for the sake of clarity lets stay with apes ..

    Now .. we have man .. and we have apes still roaming this planet, so why isn't there apes in some form of that evolutionary process being found even today. Now I understand this is a very long process, but shouldn't that process be continuing? If it's not .. then why ? Did the apes just decide that seeing some had evolved into a higher life form .. that no more needed to? Why did or does the chain of evolution suddenly end? Now understand I'm not talking about man .. I'm talking about apes .. or whatever species anyone chooses to think that man came from.
    We share a common ancestor with apes, we did not evolve from modern apes.

    Last edited by Spartacus FPV; 06-24-11 at 05:16 PM.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •