Page 65 of 68 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 650 of 671

Thread: US troops coming home? Obama to say on Wednesday

  1. #641
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: US troops coming home? Obama to say on Wednesday

    BAGHDAD — On Nov. 17, 2008, U.S. and Iraqi officials signed a security agreement requiring all U.S. troops to leave the country by the end of 2011.

    The same day, according to military records, construction crews at Camp Adder, a sprawling U.S. air base in southern Iraq, broke ground on a $61 million series of aircraft shelters. Over the next 14 months, the military started work on an additional $150 million in new base construction in Iraq, representing the culmination of a years-long building effort that continued even after the U.S. formally agreed to leave the country and began laying plans to depart.

    In all, the military finished $496 million in base construction projects during 2009, the highest annual figure since the war began and nearly a quarter of the $2.1 billion spent on American bases in Iraq since 2004. An additional $323 million worth of projects are set to be completed this year, according to figures provided by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which oversees base construction.

    U.S. base projects continue in Iraq despite plans to leave - News - Stripes

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #642
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: US troops coming home? Obama to say on Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    BAGHDAD — On Nov. 17, 2008, U.S. and Iraqi officials signed a security agreement requiring all U.S. troops to leave the country by the end of 2011.

    The same day, according to military records, construction crews at Camp Adder, a sprawling U.S. air base in southern Iraq, broke ground on a $61 million series of aircraft shelters. Over the next 14 months, the military started work on an additional $150 million in new base construction in Iraq, representing the culmination of a years-long building effort that continued even after the U.S. formally agreed to leave the country and began laying plans to depart.

    In all, the military finished $496 million in base construction projects during 2009, the highest annual figure since the war began and nearly a quarter of the $2.1 billion spent on American bases in Iraq since 2004. An additional $323 million worth of projects are set to be completed this year, according to figures provided by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which oversees base construction.

    U.S. base projects continue in Iraq despite plans to leave - News - Stripes
    Only problem is the people in Iraq and this country want all the troops out by the end of this year, and we are facing unsupportable debt. I know of no more wasteful spending that we can cut.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #643
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: US troops coming home? Obama to say on Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Only problem is the people in Iraq and this country want all the troops out by the end of this year, and we are facing unsupportable debt. I know of no more wasteful spending that we can cut.
    If violence is low, and it can be pushed aside to other bothers, I'll be surprised if there is any real public outcry in either place. But, I would prefer we weren't there.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #644
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: US troops coming home? Obama to say on Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    If violence is low, and it can be pushed aside to other bothers, I'll be surprised if there is any real public outcry in either place. But, I would prefer we weren't there.
    6 June 2011 - "Five US soldiers have been killed in central Iraq, the US military has said.

    Iraqi security sources said there had been a rocket attack, with other reports saying the target was on the outskirts of Baghdad.

    The BBC's Jim Muir says the US military has suffered its single most serious incident in Iraq in over two years.

    Elsewhere in the country on Monday, at least 21 people were killed in twin bomb attacks, one on a mosque, in the northern city of Tikrit."

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13666607


    I think our debt will be the biggest motivator for American protests. I think there is much more resistance by the Iraqis. Otherwise, the agreement would have been extended by them already at the pressure they have been under for years now by the US for the extension.
    Last edited by Catawba; 07-29-11 at 03:47 AM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #645
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: US troops coming home? Obama to say on Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Sadly, we don't do the job we need to getting better people not only to run, but to make sure they don't need the money to run, thus beholding them to interests.
    pardon?

    You know, those loppying groups the poor have to keep all their sweet deals they get from the government.
    dept chairs just can't help themselfs

    LOL!

  6. #646
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: US troops coming home? Obama to say on Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    dept chairs just can't help themselfs

    LOL!
    Is baiting/flaming all you know how to do?

    What is your position on staying in Iraq? Which candidate says they will bring the troops home the quickest? You know, if you are going to post in the thread you could occasionally add something pertinent to the topic.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #647
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: US troops coming home? Obama to say on Wednesday

    february 27, 2009:

    barack the slasher hussein "announced he will withdraw combat forces from iraq by august, 2010 and all remaining us troops by december, 2011"

    (link above)

    how exciting!

    will all remaining troops be out of iraq before or after gitmo closes?

    before or after ksm is tried in civil court?

    before or after the slasher meets with the leaders of iran?

    obama has no idea what he's doing

    hope and change, anyone?

  8. #648
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: US troops coming home? Obama to say on Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    february 27, 2009:

    barack the slasher hussein "announced he will withdraw combat forces from iraq by august, 2010 and all remaining us troops by december, 2011"

    (link above)

    how exciting!

    will all remaining troops be out of iraq before or after gitmo closes?

    before or after ksm is tried in civil court?

    before or after the slasher meets with the leaders of iran?

    obama has no idea what he's doing

    hope and change, anyone?

    Which party voted for the war in Iraq? And who is the GOP candidate calling for an earlier withdrawal from Iraq?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #649
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: US troops coming home? Obama to say on Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    But we did Iran the favor of invading. They even helped.
    US accuses Iran of 'secret' deal with al Qaeda to send money & fighters to Afghanistan & Pakistan - The Note

    you don't get a lotta news down under, it appears

    that's why you don't have the facts

  10. #650
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: US troops coming home? Obama to say on Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post

    that's why you don't have the facts
    Which party voted for the war in Iraq? And who is the GOP candidate calling for an earlier withdrawal from Iraq?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 65 of 68 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •