Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 671

Thread: US troops coming home? Obama to say on Wednesday

  1. #41
    Advisor Swizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-05-12 @ 11:33 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    351

    Re: President Obama To Announce Details of Afghanistan Strategy On Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Obama is not listening to the military

    Barack Obama and Pentagon split on Afghanistan pullout | World news | The Guardian


    Barack Obama is set to reject the advice of the Pentagon by announcing on Wednesday night the withdrawal of up to 30,000 troops from Afghanistan by November next year, in time for the US presidential election.

    The move comes despite warnings from his military commanders that recent security gains are fragile. They have been urging him to keep troop numbers high until 2013.
    Yes, Obama once again took the middle ground.

    Remember back in late 2009? McChrystal was calling for 40,000 troops, and when Obama committed 30,000 instead, people like Sean Hannity cried "He's not even listening to our men in uniform!! He's not giving them the resources they need!" And yet now, a year and a half later, the consensus seems to be that the 30,000-troop surge has been a success. We've killed more and more top al Qaeda operatives (including, you know, ****ing bin Laden), we've upped drone strikes even more, and substantial overall improvement has occurred since President Obama's decision in late 2009. So this idea that the president MUST do exactly what the military is calling for has already been proven false. Chances are, the numbers from Petraeus were simply smart bargaining; they knew Obama favored a drawdown this summer, so the smaller the number they recommended to him, the smaller the number of his eventual choice, even if it wouldn't exactly match their request.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: President Obama To Announce Details of Afghanistan Strategy On Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by Swizz View Post
    Yes, Obama once again took the middle ground.

    Remember back in late 2009? McChrystal was calling for 40,000 troops, and when Obama committed 30,000 instead, people like Sean Hannity cried "He's not even listening to our men in uniform!! He's not giving them the resources they need!" And yet now, a year and a half later, the consensus seems to be that the 30,000-troop surge has been a success. We've killed more and more top al Qaeda operatives (including, you know, ****ing bin Laden), we've upped drone strikes even more, and substantial overall improvement has occurred since President Obama's decision in late 2009. So this idea that the president MUST do exactly what the military is calling for has already been proven false. Chances are, the numbers from Petraeus were simply smart bargaining; they knew Obama favored a drawdown this summer, so the smaller the number they recommended to him, the smaller the number of his eventual choice, even if it wouldn't exactly match their request.
    No Obama took the road that he thinks will help him in November of 2012

  3. #43
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: President Obama To Announce Details of Afghanistan Strategy On Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    No Obama took the road that he thinks will help him in November of 2012
    Wow, I'm sure he's the first to be accused of that!



    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #44
    Advisor Swizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-05-12 @ 11:33 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    351

    Re: President Obama To Announce Details of Afghanistan Strategy On Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    No Obama took the road that he thinks will help him in November of 2012
    citation needed

  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: President Obama To Announce Details of Afghanistan Strategy On Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm sure he's the first to be accused of that!
    by his OWN defense secretary?

    LOL!

  6. #46
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: President Obama To Announce Details of Afghanistan Strategy On Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by Swizz View Post
    citation needed
    Oh, I'm sure he could find someone on the internet saying it. Anything can be found on the internet.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: President Obama To Announce Details of Afghanistan Strategy On Wednesday

    yup, all ya gotta do is google, "gates political concerns afghanistan"

    good thinking
    Last edited by The Prof; 06-22-11 at 12:51 PM.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: President Obama To Announce Details of Afghanistan Strategy On Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    yup, all ya gotta do is google, "gates political concerns afghanistan"

    good thinking
    You do realize that if you read Gates comments honestly, it would not support the claim made. I wonder which way you'll go?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: President Obama To Announce Details of Afghanistan Strategy On Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by Swizz View Post
    citation needed
    Citation needed? It all happens at the time of the election

  10. #50
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: President Obama To Announce Details of Afghanistan Strategy On Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You do realize that if you read Gates comments honestly, it would not support the claim made.
    sure, domestic concerns have nothing to do with the 2012 election

    LOL!

    honestly reading, that is

Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •