Page 17 of 68 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 671

Thread: US troops coming home? Obama to say on Wednesday

  1. #161
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: President Obama To Announce Details of Afghanistan Strategy On Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    That's a ridiculous justification for anything. Doubling down on a mistake is rarely a good idea. And "not letting lives be wasted" is not a good enough reason to sacrifice even MORE lives. The ship has already sailed on wasting 1500 lives.



    Because Obama's Afghanistan policy is ****ing atrocious, even worse than Bush's?
    Obama and Afghanistan -- The Careful Management of Failure - FoxNews.com

    Someone agree with you.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #162
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: US troops coming home? Obama to say on Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    It makes no sense to say we can pull that many out in 2 years when you do not know how the state of the fight will be going. This is a political speech and Obama is not listening to his Generals
    Not listening to "his generals" that are of a lower rank? There's a real reason why the commander of the armed forces is a civilian. Without that distinction we would be in constantly escalating wars all over the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  3. #163
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: President Obama To Announce Details of Afghanistan Strategy On Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    I will take th word of generals over a man that has never served any day
    But they will take his word. It's called an order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  4. #164
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: US troops coming home? Obama to say on Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    There's a real reason why the commander of the armed forces is a civilian. Without that distinction we would be in constantly escalating wars all over the world.
    I disagree. In representative government, the elected civilian institutions should possess authority over decisions of war and peace.

    I don't believe the generals, many of whom are intimately familiar with the hazards of warfare, would seek to use force in a virtually unlimited fashion. Indeed, they might tend to be more cautious about its application. Certainly, memoirs written during the Cold War era revealed that, in general, the Pentagon tended to be more cautious about committing and using force than its civilian bosses.

  5. #165
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: President Obama To Announce Details of Afghanistan Strategy On Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Winning what?
    Victory over the terrorists and training the Afghans to defend themselves. Obama does not mention winning because it is more about the next election

  6. #166
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: US troops coming home? Obama to say on Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by Swizz View Post
    US troops coming home? Obama to say on Wednesday - Yahoo! News

    So what will he do?
    - Insignificant drawdown so he doesn't break his promise? (say, 1-2,000 troops come home)
    - Relatively significant start of a drawdown? (5-10,000)
    - Huge withdrawal? (20,000 or more)
    What SHOULD he do?

    I tend to think it'll be somewhere mid-range, which seems about right to me.
    We've heard it before. . . a drawdown followed more quietly by new additions to the ranks in tents.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #167
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: President Obama To Announce Details of Afghanistan Strategy On Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Victory over the terrorists and training the Afghans to defend themselves. Obama does not mention winning because it is more about the next election
    The word terrorist is often not specific enough to have meaning. The Taliban is more an Afghan problem than a US problem. Most of our problem went to Pakistan. War should be more specifc. We're not quite refering like we were in Iraq (Referees don't win anything btw), but rebuilding Afgjanistan and trying to determine their internal struggle is not really our role or what we should be doing.

    And frankly, if all he was concerned about was the election, he'd throw out more platitudes without meaning like the word winning. There is really next to nothing for us to win in Afghanistan. We can keep those that threaten us bottled up without the nation building.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: President Obama To Announce Details of Afghanistan Strategy On Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    That's a ridiculous justification for anything. Doubling down on a mistake is rarely a good idea. And "not letting lives be wasted" is not a good enough reason to sacrifice even MORE lives. The ship has already sailed on wasting 1500 lives.



    Because Obama's Afghanistan policy is ****ing atrocious, even worse than Bush's?
    Maybe Obama should start listening to the generals.

  9. #169
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: US troops coming home? Obama to say on Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Not listening to "his generals" that are of a lower rank? There's a real reason why the commander of the armed forces is a civilian. Without that distinction we would be in constantly escalating wars all over the world.
    Thats right Obama has all that military training annd expertise. HAHAHAHA

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: President Obama To Announce Details of Afghanistan Strategy On Wednesday

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    But they will take his word. It's called an order.
    Thats right they are forced to watch a man with no military experience be a cowboy with soldiers lives.

Page 17 of 68 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •