Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 169

Thread: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    The words "under God" are there now and have been for over 50 years. To say "Well, they weren't there originally!!" as a reason for omitting them now is just kind of juvenile.

    Should we go in and re edit the Mona Lisa?

  2. #22
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    your critical thinking skills need work. It was the NBC viewers that called NBC to complain about what they viewed on NBC.
    This is the same on many networks. It's always a small percentage of people that call to complain about something whether it be this or something else that they found offensive. Sadly, rather than go through the potential legal problems, these cowardly networks crumble to the whims of the moral minority. When you look at the amount of people in their viewership vs. those who actually complained, they are definitely in the minority. Sadly, people don't have the willpower or common sense to turn the channel if they find something that offends them, and would rather call or write in and complain. It's impossible for any network to please everyone all of the time.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    The words "under God" are there now and have been for over 50 years. To say "Well, they weren't there originally!!" as a reason for omitting them now is just kind of juvenile.
    As is omitting them from the apology issued on air, for originally omitting them.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    This is the same on many networks. It's always a small percentage of people that call to complain about something whether it be this or something else that they found offensive. Sadly, rather than go through the potential legal problems, these cowardly networks crumble to the whims of the moral minority. When you look at the amount of people in their viewership vs. those who actually complained, they are definitely in the minority. Sadly, people don't have the willpower or common sense to turn the channel if they find something that offends them, and would rather call or write in and complain. It's impossible for any network to please everyone all of the time.
    I don't disagree with the gist of your post. However, my point there was to explain to CT that it was not FOX viewers that complained, as he mistakenly assumed.

  5. #25
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    I don't disagree with the gist of your post. However, my point there was to explain to CT that it was not FOX viewers that complained, as he mistakenly assumed.
    Agreed. Sorry, I was mainly using your point to expand on my own.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Should we go in and re edit the Mona Lisa?
    non sequitur.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Agreed. Sorry, I was mainly using your point to expand on my own.
    no apology needed. Rock on.

  8. #28
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Should we go in and re edit the Mona Lisa?
    You're arguing apples and oranges. Congress was involved in adopting and changing the Pledge four times. If you have a problem with it, then ask your Congressmen to suggest it be changed again.


  9. #29
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,147

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    What'd they apologize for? And what is with people in this country freaking out if their god is not publicly acknowledged at every available turn?

    I haven't said the Pledge since I was 8 or so. And I won't again until its' returned to its original state.

    There is no religious test to be an American. Adding "under god" is just the work of a bunch of fear-mongers freaking out about communism. It's a relic of paranoia from one of our ugliest and most embarrassing moments in recent history, and they've shoved it into the Pledge of our country.

    Maybe they feel the same, Whovian. Lots of people do. And so what? So what if they did intentionally not say it?
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 06-20-11 at 05:47 PM.

  10. #30
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Wow, they edit one segment and the Fox viewers get all pissy. That is funny.
    Yes, especially since the Pledge of Allegiance was written by a Christian socialist.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •