Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 169

Thread: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

  1. #121
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    Why?
    Totally disagree if their goal was to be more PC.
    Now I personally wouldnt do it but but since the pledge is a government think and has nothing to do with religion omitting the words god from it even when I believe in god do nothing to me. Im still looking for the logic to drive me to be offended? offended over what? they choose to not use a word they deemed some might be offended by?

    also anything on thier network is malleable as long as it doesnt violate FCC or make it slander.
    I don't see how I can break this down any simpler than I already have, but let me try again to explain:

    Congress issues the Pledge of Allegiance in the United States Code (i.e. the wording of the Pledge is a matter of law).

    There is only one official Pledge of Allegiance at any given time.

    Something that does not conform with the Pledge as written in the contemporary USC is not the Pledge.

    Deleting portions of the Pledge that one finds disagreeable means that the words are no longer the genuine Pledge.

  2. #122
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Looks like they did it on purpose...in which case they should have nothing to apologize for. How very lame.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  3. #123
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Wow, they edit one segment and the Fox viewers get all pissy. That is funny.
    FNC viewers probably weren't watching.

    I know I wasn't.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Looks like they did it on purpose...in which case they should have nothing to apologize for. How very lame.
    It would have been more impressive if they had taken a principled stand.

  5. #125
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    It would have been more impressive if they had taken a principled stand.
    If there's anything I'm sick of it's wishy-washyness.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  6. #126
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I don't see how I can break this down any simpler than I already have, but let me try again to explain:

    Congress issues the Pledge of Allegiance in the United States Code (i.e. the wording of the Pledge is a matter of law).

    There is only one official Pledge of Allegiance at any given time.

    Something that does not conform with the Pledge as written in the contemporary USC is not the Pledge.

    Deleting portions of the Pledge that one finds disagreeable means that the words are no longer the genuine Pledge.
    Yep I get all that I still find no logic to make one "offended" over them doing it to be more PC, IF thats what they were doing.
    I believe in god, I believe in this country, skipping those words in a brodcast to be more PC doesnt "offened" me.

    I think its dumb

    but I dont see being offended justified because of anything you said. Im not saying I disagree with the basics of what you said I trying to see the logical tie to being offended.

    Cant see one that is relevant. My emotion isnt wired in so tight with my logic that it can take it over, 99% of the time logic wins.

    It was more dumb to apologize for it, they basically apologized for doing what they thought was right and PC.

    So I guess you'll just have to agree to disagree.
    Last edited by AGENT J; 06-20-11 at 07:55 PM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #127
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    Sometimes socialists have good ideas.
    So want to use that as a sig, cept people would get the wrong idea about me.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #128
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    Yes, you're right. I said they SHOULD say it as written, not that they should be legally-bound to it.
    They did say it as written, just not the rewritten version.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #129
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    It was during the U.S. open. The real question is why weren't people sleeping. It is GOLF.
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



  10. #130
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I find it offensive and part of secular trolling. NBC can do what they want, but editing out "under God" is directly offensive to some people and really showed what NBC's goals are.
    And including "under god" is offensive to some people.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •