Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 169

Thread: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

  1. #91
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    For some that doesn't matter as long as it serves their interests. It was put in during the McCarthy era when paranoia was at an ultimate high. People can be convinced of some pretty amazing things as long as they are controlled by fear.
    To be frank, my views on the establishment clause are pretty radical. They don't accord with American jurisprudence on the subject. The Pledge in its current form certainly passes the Lemon test.

    Whether or not you and I personally approve of the Pledge is not the issue.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Then so does the Declaration of Independence and other founding documents.

    Recognizing a 'god' is not the same as giving favor to an individual 'religion'

    I don't even believe in god and don't find anything wrong with it - I do like and appreciate tradition which is why I like things to be left alone unless they're causing problems. No one's actually being hurt and harmed by the phrase - in the pledge or on the dollar - so leaving things alone is harmless. Changing things is an expense.
    Now you know very well that the words 'with a firm reliance on the protection of divine providence' in the Declaration of Independence had nothing what so ever to do with God.

  3. #93
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Then so does the Declaration of Independence and other founding documents.

    Recognizing a 'god' is not the same as giving favor to an individual 'religion'
    I disagree. "God" is a theological concept and theology has no place is a secular government. The rights of atheists, agnostics, and polytheistic people ought to be respected.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I don't even believe in god and don't find anything wrong with it - I do like and appreciate tradition which is why I like things to be left alone unless they're causing problems. No one's actually being hurt and harmed by the phrase - in the pledge or on the dollar - so leaving things alone is harmless. Changing things is an expense.
    I am a Roman Catholic and I do find something wrong with it. The inclusion of the words "under God" in the Pledge is nothing less than monotheistic chauvinism.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 06-20-11 at 07:07 PM.

  4. #94
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,777

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    NBC is free to blank out whatever it likes from the Pledge. Just as neo-nazis are free to march in a Jewish neighborhood.

    But don't try to tell me I shouldn't be offended at both of those things.
    sorry those arent even close to the same ball park.
    Yoy can be offened all you want but im looking for the logic in it?

    I understand someone being offended by people marching down their street that stand for KILLING THEM AND WHIPPING THEM OF THE EARTH

    however I dont see how someone in america is offend that they blanked that out in an attempt to be more PC, wheres the logic behind the offense.

    Would I do it? nope but if I did and people were offended oh well I did nothing wrong
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    I just find it a bit strange that it's a big deal, and the attitude that they must say "under god" in the apology (or at all) is a bit interrogating to me. They apologized for something they didn't really need to, but you're not satisfied until they say "god." It's this continued attitude I see trying to shove religion deeper and deeper into the American psyche. And the attitude of both you and jman that if we don't like it we should get out of the thread.
    A... I found it odd/ironic that they chose to omit the word they were apologizing for omitting. Not really my problem if you don't.
    B... You're seeing things. Get your eyes examined.
    C... Did I tell you to leave?

  6. #96
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,777

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Because your discriminating against the Atlantic, Pacific, and Caribbean Sea
    oh brother NOW its a party!!!!!
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #97
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    sorry those arent even close to the same ball park.
    Yoy can be offened all you want but im looking for the logic in it?
    I may have godwinned the thread, but the neo-nazi case is a genuine example from first amendment case-law. My point is that you can be legitimately offended when someone exercises their rights.

  8. #98
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,777

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I may have godwinned the thread, but the neo-nazi case is a genuine example from first amendment case-law. My point is that you can be legitimately offended when someone exercises their rights.
    well that I agree with but it isnt even anything close to what you said or what I said. Im simply looking for the logic.

    In your example it is clear, in the topic at hand I dont see it.
    I believe in god and I cant find any reason to be offended, doesnt mean there isnt one im asking what it is?
    Im guessing any reason is shallow or selfish or misguided and void of logic but I could easily be wrong.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #99
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    well that I agree with but it isnt even anything close to what you said or what I said. Im simply looking for the logic.

    In your example it is clear, in the topic at hand I dont see it.
    I believe in god and I cant find any reason to be offended, doesnt mean there isnt one im asking what it is?
    Im guessing any reason is shallow or selfish or misguided and void of logic but I could easily be wrong.
    I'm offended at both, but I never said I was equally offended. Obviously the neo-nazis are much worse. Neo-nazis are heinous and evil; NBC's editing of the pledge is merely puerile and disrespectful.

    Indeed, you seem to be projecting. You're the one who implied that one can never be offended when somebody exercises a constitutional right. You were clearly wrong.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 06-20-11 at 07:18 PM.

  10. #100
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,777

    Re: NBC Apologizes for Omitting 'Under God' From Pledge During U.S. Open Broadcast

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I'm offended at both, but I never said I was equally offended. Obviously the neo-nazis are much worse. Neo-nazis are heinous and evil; NBC's editing of the pledge is merely puerile and disrespectful.
    Why tell me why, maybe you can convince me.

    Lets start with a base.
    Now I am operating under the ASSumption lol that they did it in an attempt to be PC so thats where I am coming from.
    Do we agree on this? if not what is your assumption?
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •