Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 88

Thread: Republican ‘doctrine’ on suppressing black vote is key to Md. case, and maybe to 2012

  1. #31
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Republican ‘doctrine’ on suppressing black vote is key to Md. case, and maybe to

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, knowingly causing 50,000+ plus voters to not vote, because of a false report isn't illegal? Sounds like voter suppression to me.
    lemme do some research. I'll get back to you. You may have a point on this. I was 10 when it happened so i don't remember much.

    Edit: yeah, I don't see evidence that the media did what they did knowingly. Looks like they just ****ed up their reporting. So, previous post still applies.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 06-18-11 at 03:02 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  2. #32
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,594

    Re: Republican ‘doctrine’ on suppressing black vote is key to Md. case, and maybe to

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    lemme do some research. I'll get back to you. You may have a point on this. I was 10 when it happened so i don't remember much.

    Edit: yeah, I don't see evidence that the media did what they did knowingly. Looks like they just ****ed up their reporting. So, previous post still applies.

    They knew damn good and well that the polls weren't closed, because there was no announcement from the election commissioner that they had been closed.

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,460
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Republican ‘doctrine’ on suppressing black vote is key to Md. case, and maybe to

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    They knew damn good and well that the polls weren't closed, because there was no announcement from the election commissioner that they had been closed.
    Iirc, they didnt report the polls closed but that the election had been "called" or whatever.

    I agree however that election reporting is problematic and in need of consideration to prevent reporting of elections having an impact on elections.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  4. #34
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,594

    Re: Republican ‘doctrine’ on suppressing black vote is key to Md. case, and maybe to

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Iirc, they didnt report the polls closed but that the election had been "called" or whatever.

    I agree however that election reporting is problematic and in need of consideration to prevent reporting of elections having an impact on elections.
    You recall incorrectly:

    All five major US TV news networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and CNN) made the incorrect assumption that all of Florida's polls closed at 7:00 p.m. EST, which was not the case. All five of them reported this incorrect statement at the top of the 6:00-7:00 hour.

    United States presidential election in Florida, 2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  5. #35
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Republican ‘doctrine’ on suppressing black vote is key to Md. case, and maybe to

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You recall incorrectly:
    Wasn't that more of a time-zone mixup? And yeah, I believe they seriously ****ed up but Bush still won in the end, so no harm no foul.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 06-18-11 at 03:27 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  6. #36
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,594

    Re: Republican ‘doctrine’ on suppressing black vote is key to Md. case, and maybe to

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Wasn't that more of a time-zone mixup? And yeah, I believe they seriously ****ed up but Bush still won in the end, so no harm no foul.
    I disagree with that. Next time the ploy might work against the legitimate winner's favor.

  7. #37
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Republican ‘doctrine’ on suppressing black vote is key to Md. case, and maybe to

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I disagree with that. Next time the ploy might work against the legitimate winner's favor.
    Agreed.

    I think the key is whether or not the reporting was due to incompetence (****ty reporting) or orchestration (they did it on purpose). Either way, there's a problem, but one is more egregious than the other. Personally, I don't see any evidence that they knowingly ****ed up the reporting.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,460
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Republican ‘doctrine’ on suppressing black vote is key to Md. case, and maybe to

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You recall incorrectly:
    I stand corrected as far as I can tell. A quick search on google didn't come up with anything except the wiki entry, and you know how wiki is. Ill take your word for it though (and not in the politician fashion). Sounds plausible.

    I still believe the "calling" to have been at least an equal issue.

    And there was a bunch of shenanigans called on Repubs for various "caging" activities they may have indulged in during the same election.

    Which is really what the recent voter id bills are all about. Setting up demands for the newly required ids, challenges to addresses (poor move more frequently), rejection for failure to have 2 ids (one to verify the first), "I don't think that's you on the id", "john smith" has a felony "john smiths" may not vote, etc., etc., etc..

    This kind of crap is FAR more prevalent than fake/ineligible votes being cast.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  9. #39
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: Republican ‘doctrine’ on suppressing black vote is key to Md. case, and maybe to

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    Stupid and illiterate people should not be allowed to vote that would mean that Obama would not be in office

    In California it is illegal aliens that flock to vote by mail because you can register and vote and there are no checks yo make sure you are of legal age or here legally.

    Voting is a privilege that that should be closely monitored to insure that voters can at least read English.

    Today there are so many people who are high school graduates that are illiterate it's not funny and most of them are minorities because they come from one parent families and that one parent is also illiterate.

    Most high school graduates these days don't have any clue about the Constitution.

    I registered to vote by mail when I retired and moved back to California. I did it over the Web and it's been almost 4 years and they didn't check a damn thing.
    I could have been a member of the Taliban anf they would never know or care for that matter.
    That was the Old South's so-called justification for lynching blacks who tried to vote.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  10. #40
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,745

    Re: Republican ‘doctrine’ on suppressing black vote is key to Md. case, and maybe to

    Everyone should be allowed to vote...even individuals too stupid to know what or who they are voting for. I only require that they be allowed to vote once, in their district, that they be able to demonstrate they are who they say they are, and I would prefer that they not be dead.

    Everyone should be allowed to vote. Anyone...ANYONE...that commits voter fraud...either side...should see jail time and lose their voting priveleges.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •