Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 471

Thread: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

  1. #81
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    He can speak another language even if we had an official language. Your premise is complete bull****, and off the mark besides. He should be speaking english. When my father came here in 1955, he spoke no English, but he damn well learned it in order to work here. He would never have thought to speak German in a hearing like this. Your sympathy and politics are wholely misguided.
    Thank you for your opinion. I respectfully disagree. (Although I do agree that learning English is practical.)

  2. #82
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    it boils down to this:

    If you are addressing an assembly and you speak their language, it is rude NOT to speak their language to them.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #83
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    it boils down to this:

    If you are addressing an assembly and you speak their language, it is rude NOT to speak their language to them.
    Which is why he had a translator.

  4. #84
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    I was talking about the fact that English is the official language in Florida. I am well aware it is not nationally (although it is in the majority of states).

    When I pointed this out, he said people can still speak what they like, we need to get with the times, Spanish rules in Florida, etc. This shows that he doesn't support the contingents of his own argument. which is that speaking only Spanish is ok because English is not the official language. But it is official in Florida, and he pretty much ignored that.

    Please read all of the correspondence...
    It is 27 states. Those states that have that law can certainly enforce it. But when the Spanish speaking population of these 16 states is growing faster than the national average how foolish it is to enforce those laws. Some of those states are much higher than the national average. Florida is one of them. It is not going to happen where all Americans will speak English. There will come a time where both languages will be needed. In much of Europe people speak any number of languages. The US falls far behind in people with multilingual skills.

    16
    The number of states with at least a half-million Hispanic residents–Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia and Washington.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  5. #85
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    He can speak another language even if we had an official language. Your premise is complete bull****, and off the mark besides. He should be speaking english. When my father came here in 1955, he spoke no English, but he damn well learned it in order to work here. He would never have thought to speak German in a hearing like this. Your sympathy and politics are wholely misguided.
    Personally, I think it would be a good thing for everyone to learn English, including immigrants. But if he's managed to function this far without being able to speak English particularly well, I don't know why we should be angry at him. If he feels more comfortable speaking Spanish to get his point across, then he should be allowed to speak Spanish. Why the unnecessary outrage?
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  6. #86
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    What a load of BS.

    This was a formal hearing, and the language of this country and the people in that room is English. How are these state senators supposed to address his issues if he won't communicate in their language?

    Do we need to have 150 translators in the room in case someone comes in speaking some 4th dialect of a Tanzanian tribe?
    You can show me where in the constitution it says the language of the US is English exclusively?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #87
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,143

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Wait, does Texas have an official language...where this incident took place? No, no it doesn't. The official language in Florida was a separate point that had nothing to do with my original argument, if you read our conversation well, you'll get that.
    I wasn't talking about Texas. What the hell.

    I was pointing out that your argument is inconsistent. You brought up Florida, not me.

    And once again, your post above this one warrants no response. You're arguing in circles against the notion, not the fact. If the argument you originally presented was true to what you really believed, then you should think this is wrong, since Florida has an official language and it's not Spanish. So you've basically just proved yourself to be intellectually dishonest, despite all your clever clipping to show the contrary.

  8. #88
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    sorry, but I get "insulted" when people do pointless, stupid stuff.
    Like make a big deal out of what language some one is speaking?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #89
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,143

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    It is 27 states. Those states that have that law can certainly enforce it. But when the Spanish speaking population of these 16 states is growing faster than the national average how foolish it is to enforce those laws. Some of those states are much higher than the national average. Florida is one of them. It is not going to happen where all Americans will speak English. There will come a time where both languages will be needed. In much of Europe people speak any number of languages. The US falls far behind in people with multilingual skills.
    That has nothing to do with how many of them are official. It has to do with education - Europe values being culturally literate and teaches their students accordingly. They should. But it has nothing to do with necessity or the law.

  10. #90
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    I just thought of another good reason to support a national language. Having different groups speaking different languages with no primary motivation to learn whatever the unified language of the country is promotes regionalism or the community over the country as a whole, making our population even more factional (which even further complicates politics)

Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •