Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 471

Thread: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

  1. #71
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,174

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    IF English becomes the official language there would be no need to cater to those that speak only a foreign tongue. There would not be multilingual aids on ballots or provided translators at any function. If in a business the people came in that did not speak the language they would not expect to be served or assisted in any way. It would be a huge difference and it seems all to the negative.

    I was talking about the fact that English is the official language in Florida. I am well aware it is not nationally (although it is in the majority of states).

    When I pointed this out, he said people can still speak what they like, we need to get with the times, Spanish rules in Florida, etc. This shows that he doesn't support the contingents of his own argument. which is that speaking only Spanish is ok because English is not the official language. But it is official in Florida, and he pretty much ignored that.

    Please read all of the correspondence...

  2. #72
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Yeah. Didn't your argument have something to do with English not being the official language? Didn't I just show you saying that even when it is the official language, you still think that people being expected to speak the damn language is xenophobic? Didn't you say something about Spanish catching up which I proved to be beyond wrong, which you never countered, in addition to nearly every other argument I made which you ignore and countered with either name-calling or sarcastic nonsense? Yeah.

    Have fun.
    What an unnecessary post, I'll just repeat parts of my previous response to yours so everyone understands what you're so mad about and why your distorting my position.

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    being unable to speak the language that 96% of the population speaks well or better is an impairment to your functionality. How is this difficult?
    I never contradicted this. In fact, I supported it myself multiple times:

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Learning English is practical...
    In other words, you're wrong about it begin difficult to understand since I argued it myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    I've been to Florida. And furthermore Miami. Spanish does not come before English. You're simply wrong.
    In Miami, Spanish becoming primary language - US news - Life - msnbc.com

    In other words, you're wrong because Spanish is becoming the primary language in Miami.

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Yeah, it belongs to Americans.
    Thanks for proving my point. It belongs to Americans, some of whom speak Spanish.

    Self-explanatory.

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    And it seems that even when it IS official, like in Florida (which by the way, does NOT acknowledge Spanish as a dual official language - it's only English), you still wish to deny that people should speak the official language where they live.
    Never said that.

    In other words, you're wrong because I never said that.

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    So it doesn't matter to you whether it's official or not, which is what your entire argument hinges on. This shows me you have no argument - rather that you're too PC to just admit we speak English.
    This would be valid criticism if I hadn't said this:

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    We are an English speaking country...
    In other words, you're wrong about since I argued it myself.

    My argument remains the same - Spanish speaking Americans are Americans and them speaking Spanish isn't rude or insulting.

  3. #73
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Ok. But most of them are still learning English, regardless of whether they speak Spanish. This is shown by the fact of Spanish-speaking people who don't speak English is not rising that sharply. It's only gone up, what, maybe 1% on the generous side in the last decade? So... there will be more Mexicans. Who mostly speak English.
    Hispanic Americans: Census Facts — Infoplease.com

    According to that link Since the 1990's the Spanish speaking population has more than doubled. If more people are speaking Spanish and there is more accommodation for that, people are less likely to learn English. If there was no need to do so why would you? They can function in the neighborhoods easily. When you consider Texas, California, and Arizona which are nearing the 50% mark how much English do the Hispanics have to know. Some schools teach in Spanish. The language will become more prevalent over time. I don't think it will pass English any time soon but it is something that English speaking Americans will have to come to terms with.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  4. #74
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    I was talking about the fact that English is the official language in Florida. I am well aware it is not nationally (although it is in the majority of states).

    When I pointed this out, he said people can still speak what they like, we need to get with the times, Spanish rules in Florida, etc. This shows that he doesn't support the contingents of his own argument. which is that speaking only Spanish is ok because English is not the official language. But it is official in Florida, and he pretty much ignored that.

    Please read all of the correspondence...
    Wait, does Texas have an official language...where this incident took place? No, no it doesn't. The official language in Florida was a separate point that had nothing to do with my original argument, if you read our conversation well, you'll get that.

  5. #75
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Don't understand what there is to BRAVO about. Is it kinda sad that he failed to learn English in his 23 years here? Hell yeah. Does it warrant petty outrage on the part of the Senator? No. You just applauded an individual for getting a stick up in his ass about nothing that was particularly significant. This kind of faux anger makes about as much sense as getting mad at Grandma for not being able to type.
    1. He can speak English, he chose not to because he didn't feel comfortable.
    2. The highlighted part is my main point - the outrage and applauding just seems so stupid to me.

  6. #76
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    thank you.
    De nada.

    Why do you want a law that states english is offical language in the US. Why did you learn french when you went to france?
    Common respect. Seems you have little.
    You just contradicted yourself. The fact that I spoke French in France shows that I do, in fact, have "common respect". Try again.

  7. #77
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    1. He can speak English, he chose not to because he didn't feel comfortable.
    2. The highlighted part is my main point - the outrage and applauding just seems so stupid to me.
    Ah, my mistake. Then it's even stupider than what I first thought.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #78
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,174

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    Hispanic Americans: Census Facts — Infoplease.com

    According to that link Since the 1990's the Spanish speaking population has more than doubled. If more people are speaking Spanish and there is more accommodation for that, people are less likely to learn English. If there was no need to do so why would you? They can function in the neighborhoods easily. When you consider Texas, California, and Arizona which are nearing the 50% mark how much English do the Hispanics have to know. Some schools teach in Spanish. The language will become more prevalent over time. I don't think it will pass English any time soon but it is something that English speaking Americans will have to come to terms with.
    I never said they don't speak Spanish. I just said they also speak English. Which means this is a non-issue, in the same way that everyone in my grandmother's town can still speak Italian but they also speak English is a non-issue.

  9. #79
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Great. Again, we don't have an official language here, he can speak whatever language he wants.
    He can speak another language even if we had an official language. Your premise is complete bull****, and off the mark besides. He should be speaking english. When my father came here in 1955, he spoke no English, but he damn well learned it in order to work here. He would never have thought to speak German in a hearing like this. Your sympathy and politics are wholely misguided.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #80
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Personally, I think we should make an effort to unify the language in this country for its practical benefits. It makes it easier to conduct commerce, it helps with social discourse, and its reduces expenses to society over supporting multiple languages.

    I would have no issues with making it a requirement to learn at least basic (4th grade level) american english as a requirement to move from legal resident to citizen.

Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •