Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 471

Thread: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

  1. #61
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    In a broader sense (which you are well aware is what I was talking about) being unable to speak the language that 96% of the population speaks well or better is an impairment to your functionality. How is this difficult?
    I never contradicted this. In fact, I supported it myself multiple times.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Learning English is practical...
    It appears the only difficulty is in your reading comprehension.

    I've been to Florida. And furthermore Miami. Spanish does not come before English. You're simply wrong. And even if it did, since their official language is English, that would make people who think they should get special treatment by not speaking English wrong.
    Nonsense.

    In Miami, Spanish becoming primary language - US news - Life - msnbc.com

    So we agree, then, that you didn't address any of my points and instead simply resorted to name-calling. Right.
    Nonsense.

    It's rude because he knows that in America people speak English, he was able to speak English, and didn't. My grandma's accent is way thicker than his. He probably could have gotten his point across clearer in English than he did using a translator. It's rude for the same reason it's rude for me to walk up to a German in Germany and speak in English, even though I know that most of them can speak English. I'm in there country where almost everyone speaks German.
    That would be rude. Unfortunately, 1) We're not talking about a private setting and I've already said private citizens can't do what they want. 2) The guy had a translator - you really seem to keep missing this point.

    Yeah, it belongs to Americans. Nearly all of whom speak English. Doesn't get too much more official than that.
    Thanks for proving my point. It belongs to Americans, some of whom speak Spanish.

    And it seems that even when it IS official, like in Florida (which by the way, does NOT acknowledge Spanish as a dual official language - it's only English), you still wish to deny that people should speak the official language where they live.
    Never said that.

    So it doesn't matter to you whether it's official or not, which is what your entire argument hinges on. This shows me you have no argument - rather that you're too PC to just admit we speak English.
    This would be valid criticism if I hadn't said this:

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    We are an English speaking country...
    Hahaha. Thank you for showing me and everyone else that you don't actually read other people's posts, you just write on emotion.

  2. #62
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I guess the concept of "common courtesy" means nothing to you. I spent a year in Iraq. beforehand I spent months taking classes on nights and weekends to learn to speak arabic, in order to be able to speak to the people I was going to be working with in their own language.
    Sure it does, which is why I (temporarily) learned French before going to France.

  3. #63
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,012

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    That's your choice. It's also your subjective judgment that it's pointless and stupid. This just reinforces my argument that being insulted has no valid basis.
    and this is your pointless opintion. IMO, your views is one reason I dislike most liberals. But hey, its your choice.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  4. #64
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    and this is your pointless opintion. IMO, your views is one reason I dislike most liberals. But hey, its your choice.
    That was a mindblowing contribution to the arguments being made in this thread.

  5. #65
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,154

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I know you are but what am I, I know you are but what am I, ppppththththth!!!
    Yeah. Didn't your argument have something to do with English not being the official language? Didn't I just show you saying that even when it is the official language, you still think that people being expected to speak the damn language is xenophobic? Didn't you say something about Spanish catching up which I proved to be beyond wrong, which you never countered, in addition to nearly every other argument I made which you ignore and countered with either name-calling or sarcastic nonsense? Yeah.

    Have fun.

  6. #66
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    It's got a long way to go to be even close to evenly split with English.
    I didn't write the article.

    Ranking of the size of the U.S. Hispanic population worldwide, as of 2009. Only Mexico (111 million) had a larger Hispanic population than the United States (48.4 million). 3.1%
    Percentage increase in the Hispanic population between July 1, 2008, and July 1, 2009, making Hispanics the fastest-growing minority group.
    Hispanic Americans: Census Facts — Infoplease.com

    The number of Spanish speaking residents rises by about that 3.1% figure annually. That is over 30% over a ten year period. That population is growing faster that of English speaking Americans which is dwelling because of birth to death rate. Meaning that over that ten year period that number could swell to closer to 40%. A few decades like that and guess what they are catching up.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  7. #67
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,012

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    That was a mindblowing contribution to the arguments being made in this thread.
    thank you.

    Why do you want a law that states english is offical language in the US. Why did you learn french when you went to france?
    Common respect. Seems you have little.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  8. #68
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,154

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    I didn't write the article.

    Hispanic Americans: Census Facts — Infoplease.com

    The number of Spanish speaking residents rises by about that 3.1% figure annually. That is over 30% over a ten year period. That population is growing faster that of English speaking Americans which is dwelling because of birth to death rate. Meaning that over that ten year period that number could swell to closer to 40%. A few decades like that and guess what they are catching up.
    Ok. But most of them are still learning English, regardless of whether they speak Spanish. This is shown by the fact of Spanish-speaking people who don't speak English is not rising that sharply. It's only gone up, what, maybe 1% on the generous side in the last decade? So... there will be more Mexicans. Who mostly speak English.

  9. #69
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Yeah. Didn't your argument have something to do with English not being the official language? Didn't I just show you saying that even when it is the official language, you still think that people being expected to speak the damn language is xenophobic? Didn't you say something about Spanish catching up which I proved to be beyond wrong, which you never countered, in addition to nearly every other argument I made which you ignore and countered with either name-calling or sarcastic nonsense? Yeah.

    Have fun.
    IF English becomes the official language there would be no need to cater to those that speak only a foreign tongue. There would not be multilingual aids on ballots or provided translators at any function. If in a business the people came in that did not speak the language they would not expect to be served or assisted in any way. It would be a huge difference and it seems all to the negative.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  10. #70
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post


    BRAVO Senator, bravo.

    "Excuse me, did I hear that right, he's been here for 23 years?"

    Just, beautiful.
    Don't understand what there is to BRAVO about. Is it kinda sad that he failed to learn English in his 23 years here? Hell yeah. Does it warrant petty outrage on the part of the Senator? No. You just applauded an individual for getting a stick up in his ass about nothing that was particularly significant. This kind of faux anger makes about as much sense as getting mad at Grandma for not being able to type or use a computer.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 06-17-11 at 02:09 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •