Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 471

Thread: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

  1. #51
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    If we were, Spanish-speakers wouldn't bother learning English.
    This is ridiculous. Multilingualism is not dependent upon polyglots. China is a multilingual country. A sizeable percentage of them aren't polyglots. The same goes for Canada, Belgium and at least half a dozen African countries.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #52
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,174

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    In a broader sense (which you are well aware is what I was talking about) being unable to speak the language that 96% of the population speaks well or better is an impairment to your functionality. How is this difficult?

    I've been to Florida. And furthermore Miami. Spanish does not come before English. You're simply wrong. And even if it did, since their official language is English, that would make people who think they should get special treatment by not speaking English wrong.

    So we agree, then, that you didn't address any of my points and instead simply resorted to name-calling. Right.

    It's rude because he knows that in America people speak English, he was able to speak English, and didn't. My grandma's accent is way thicker than his. He probably could have gotten his point across clearer in English than he did using a translator. It's rude for the same reason it's rude for me to walk up to a German in Germany and speak in English, even though I know that most of them can speak English. I'm in there country where almost everyone speaks German.

    Yeah, it belongs to Americans. Nearly all of whom speak English. Doesn't get too much more official than that. And it seems that even when it IS official, like in Florida (which by the way, does NOT acknowledge Spanish as a dual official language - it's only English), you still wish to deny that people should speak the official language where they live.

    So it doesn't matter to you whether it's official or not, which is what your entire argument hinges on. This shows me you have no argument - rather that you're too PC to just admit we speak English.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 06-17-11 at 01:33 PM.

  3. #53
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    if you are speaking to people who do not speak spanish and you speak whatever the **** they speak, it is rude and stupid to use a translator if you do not have to.
    I disagree because it's your country and you can speak whatever you feel comfortable speaking. This argument only works if the United States belongs to English speaking people, but it doesn't as evidenced by the fact that 1) No official language. 2) A lot of Spanish speaking Americans here.

    I honestly cannot see myself being offended if I were a Senator in that room which is why the "rudeness" of it all is not making sense to me.

  4. #54
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    It has nothing to do with xenophobia. I'm not "afraid" of anything. It has to do with the fact that almost everyone speaks English. Even the people who speak Spanish speak English. We are not multi-lingual in any true sense. If we were, Spanish-speakers wouldn't bother learning English. We are clearly, and by an enormous margin, an English-speaking country. If there was a large population of solely Spanish-speaking people you might have a point, but there really isn't. Even in Tucson most of the Mexicans speak English.

    And I notice you're not countering a single one of my points - just accusing me of this and that.

    We are multicultural, multiethnic, multitheistic, and multi-lotsa-other-things. And that's great. So much for me being a xenophobe. But we are an English-speaking country.

    96% of our population speaks English well or very well. Case closed The case is far from closed, unfortuniately.. .
    Languages of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    There are those who wish to make America like Europe, with many "official" languages.
    Maybe they wish to level the playing field, removing one of our advantages.

  5. #55
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I disagree because it's your country and you can speak whatever you feel comfortable speaking. This argument only works if the United States belongs to English speaking people, but it doesn't as evidenced by the fact that 1) No official language. 2) A lot of Spanish speaking Americans here.

    I honestly cannot see myself being offended if I were a Senator in that room which is why the "rudeness" of it all is not making sense to me.
    I guess the concept of "common courtesy" means nothing to you. I spent a year in Iraq. beforehand I spent months taking classes on nights and weekends to learn to speak arabic, in order to be able to speak to the people I was going to be working with in their own language.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #56
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    40 million of 300 million isn't "catching up", it's just a significant minority. Just sayin'.
    If you read the link it says that Spanish is catching up.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  7. #57
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,174

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    There are those who wish to make America like Europe, with many "official" languages.
    Maybe they wish to level the playing field, removing one of our advantages.
    Well, some European countries are legitimately multi-lingual. You drive from one of of the Belgium to the other, and the signs change from French to German. They've been that way for ages.

    But that is not the case in America.

    Not sure what this has to do with "our advantages" though.

  8. #58
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    I recently read through a government bid request prior to giving it to the sales manager to work up. There was an entire subsection (1.5 pages long, 12-point font) dedicated to the requirement that all sub-contractors or employees of the winning bidder speak English on a level directly related to the work they are doing. They must be able to understand and answer all questions in English. It even went so far as to state that, while working, the only acceptable language was English...so basically, two coworkers could not speak to one another in Spanish if it were their native tongue.

    It was a very contractual, professional way of saying, "Speaking English or GTFO". I actually posted a few segments of it on my facebook because it was so thorough.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  9. #59
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    If you read the link it says that Spanish is catching up.
    It's got a long way to go to be even close to evenly split with English.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  10. #60
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Kind of hard to draw any sympathy for his cause when he has been here 23 years and doesn't speak English. Many people consider someone like that to be a lazy **** who does not want to be an American. I know where I live you can find free English classes and I am pretty sure that you can find free English classes in Texas. No one is asking that he speak like a English teacher or a grammar fag, no one is expecting foreigners to get a college degree in English or to have complete mastery over it. I think all most people ask is that you learn enough to be proficient in it.
    Why? English is not the official language of the nation. It never has been. There are states that have English as their official language. But if the Nation said we are going to all speak Polish those states with those law would find them void. So until the nation gets a language that is official I guess people have to deal with people who speak in other languages.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •