Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 471

Thread: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Like I said, would you go to Japan not knowing a word of Japanese and expect them to accomodate you without thinking you're at least a little rude? Japanese is not their "official" language - they don't have one.

    His government speaks English, so does almost everyone in this country, and he damn well knows it. What he did was incredibly rude. I would crawl under a rock and die before I'd do something like that.

    Spanish is not as American as English. It is spoken by a minority. It's not a tiny minority, I'll grant you, but if Spanish is so "American," then why do immigrants learn English instead of Spanish?

    It's very simple. If you don't know English, you can't function in our society. Why? Because everyone speaks English.

    The fact that it isn't a matter of law doesn't make it any less ludicrous. It's like saying that because no one has bothered to ban riding camels down the highway that someone from Sudan should be allowed to hold up traffic by riding their camel down 494.
    Right. The problem with all of this is that people refuse to let go of the notion that English is not the only American language. I have ZERO problem with thinking of the United States as a multilingual nation and that people can talk to THEIR government in whatever language (provided they bring a translator). The only thing this shows me is hardheadedness and xenophobia. English is not the official language and never will be and this isn't an accident - we don't exclude religions, cultures or languages - this is how we operate.

    You comparing the US to other countries or camels doing whatever are poor analogies because our country is based on a meshing of cultures. We have CHOSEN not to make the United States the place of an official culture, language, religion or whatever because it's part of our fabric that everyone who is an American is an American and whatever they are is American. It's unfortunate that we have to wait for so many people to catch up to this fact.

  2. #42
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post


    BRAVO Senator, bravo.

    "Excuse me, did I hear that right, he's been here for 23 years?"

    Just, beautiful.

    Kind of hard to draw any sympathy for his cause when he has been here 23 years and doesn't speak English. Many people consider someone like that to be a lazy **** who does not want to be an American. I know where I live you can find free English classes and I am pretty sure that you can find free English classes in Texas. No one is asking that he speak like a English teacher or a grammar fag, no one is expecting foreigners to get a college degree in English or to have complete mastery over it. I think all most people ask is that you learn enough to be proficient in it.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #43
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Right. The problem with all of this is that people refuse to let go of the notion that English is not the only American language. I have ZERO problem with thinking of the United States as a multilingual nation and that people can talk to THEIR government in whatever language (provided they bring a translator). The only thing this shows me is hardheadedness and xenophobia. English is not the official language and never will be and this isn't an accident - we don't exclude religions, cultures or languages - this is how we operate.

    You comparing the US to other countries or camels doing whatever are poor analogies because our country is based on a meshing of cultures. We have CHOSEN not to make the United States the place of an official culture, language, religion or whatever because it's part of our fabric that everyone who is an American is an American and whatever they are is American. It's unfortunate that we have to wait for so many people to catch up to this fact.
    It has nothing to do with xenophobia. I'm not "afraid" of anything. It has to do with the fact that almost everyone speaks English. Even the people who speak Spanish speak English. We are not multi-lingual in any true sense. If we were, Spanish-speakers wouldn't bother learning English. We are clearly, and by an enormous margin, an English-speaking country. If there was a large population of solely Spanish-speaking people you might have a point, but there really isn't. Even in Tucson most of the Mexicans speak English.

    And I notice you're not countering a single one of my points - just accusing me of this and that.

    We are multicultural, multiethnic, multitheistic, and multi-lotsa-other-things. And that's great. So much for me being a xenophobe. But we are an English-speaking country.

    96% of our population speaks English well or very well. Case closed.
    Languages of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 06-17-11 at 12:51 PM.

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Kind of hard to draw any sympathy for his cause when he has been here 23 years and doesn't speak English. Many people consider someone like that to be a lazy **** who does not want to be an American. I know where I live you can find free English classes and I am pretty sure that you can find free English classes in Texas. No one is asking that he speak like a English teacher or a grammar fag, no one is expecting foreigners to get a college degree in English or to have complete mastery over it. I think all most people ask is that you learn enough to be proficient in it.
    He does speak English. Also, the way things are going, it's more likely that the rest of us will have to learn Spanish before Spanish-speakers have to learn English...

  5. #45
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    He does speak English. Also, the way things are going, it's more likely that the rest of us will have to learn Spanish before Spanish-speakers have to learn English...

    In Texas,California and other places that toss the salad of illegals and lazy ****s who do not want to learn our language yes, but not Oklahoma.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #46
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    It has nothing to do with xenophobia. I'm not "afraid" of anything. It has to do with the fact that almost everyone speaks English. Even the people who speak Spanish speak English. We are not multi-lingual in any true sense. If we were, Spanish-speakers wouldn't bother learning English. We are clearly, and by an enormous margin, an English-speaking country.
    It definitely has to do with xenophobia because you aren't willing to accept Spanish as an American language. You called it not "as American as English" because of numbers. By that logic, Mexican Americans aren't as American as European Americans because they come in smaller numbers. It's nonsencial. American is American - it doesn't have a religion, a culture, a race or a language - and that is on purpose.

    We are an English speaking country - which is why he had a translator... Nonetheless, as an American, he can speak whatever language he wants since his language is American.

    If there was a large population of solely Spanish-speaking people you might have a point, but there really isn't. Even in Tucson most of the Mexicans speak English.
    Miami and a crap ton of other places in the United States disagree. Spanish first, English second. Moreover, the fact that businesses all have a press #2 for Spanish and that students are being encouraged to learn Spanish before all other languages shows you where Spanish is in our country.

    And I notice you're not countering a single one of my points - just accusing me of this and that.

    We are multicultural, multiethnical, multitheistic, and multi-lotsa-other-things. And that's great. So much for me being a xenophobe. But we are an English-speaking country.

    96% of our population speaks English well or very well. Case closed.
    Languages of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I countered your points, but like in any discussion we have, you just don't see my counters as counters for some reason beyond my willingness to give it thought. In any case, we are multi-everything and everybody is welcome and when you're American, you're American.

    The funny part of this that you fail to realize is that not all Americans find speaking Spanish insulting or rude which means that it's YOUR issue. It's not an inherent issue, particularly in the setting of the video. It's an issue that some, but not all, Americans have that will likely fade away in a few generations. Like I said, I don't have a problem with it - speak whatever. The "problem" depends on the American you're talking to.

  7. #47
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Ones ethnicity or religion has nothing to do with their ability to function in society. Language does. That's a completely false comparison.

    Yeah well, guess what? Florida's official language is ENGLISH. They are one of the 27 states that has an official language. By the way, every single one of them chose English, with a couple having a dual language.

    You didn't counter any of my points or answer any of my questions. Just railed on about how I'm a xenophobe. You also didn't counter me pointing out that nearly everyone in this country speaks English, regardless of whatever other language they may also speak. Almost EVERYONE can speak English, because English is what we speak in this country. It also proves your weird idea that Spanish is somehow competing with English is completely false.

    If you want to speak whatever with your family or in your community great, but to get up in front of representatives of the government and speak a language you know they don't understand is very rude, and really detracts from his point. He is making immigrants look bad.

    Actually, nearly 90% of Americans think the official language should be English. I'm in the overwhelming majority (for once ).
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 06-17-11 at 01:13 PM.

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Ones ethnicity or religion has nothing to do with their ability to function in society. Language does. That's a completely false comparison.
    What does functioning in society have to do with being at a hearing with a translator? Nothing. Communication clearly occurred. Moreover, what does functioning have to do with being rude or offended by someone speaking Spanish?

    I've already said that it's more practical to speak English - you have yet to explain why it's rude or insulting to speak Spanish, an American language, in your OWN country to your OWN government with a translator.

    Yeah well, guess what? Florida's official language is ENGLISH. They are one of the 27 states that has an official language. By the way, every single one of them chose English, with a couple having a dual language.
    And this has nothing to do with the fact that there are places around the country,including Florida, where Spanish comes before English.

    You didn't counter any of my points or answer any of my questions. Just railed on about how I'm a xenophobe. You also didn't counter me pointing out that nearly everyone in this country speaks English, regardless of whatever other language they may also speak.
    I didn't "rail" - you don't get me that excited. My xenophobe comments are counters to your concerns. You can disagree, but it's wrongheaded to claim they are out of place.

    Almost EVERYONE can speak English, because English is what we speak in this country. It also proves your weird idea that Spanish is somehow competing with English is completely false.
    I don't think Spanish is competing with English. I think it's starting to coexist. Thanks for the misinterpretation though. Nonetheless, none of this has anything to do with why speaking Spanish with a translator as an American is rude or insulting.

    This is really the only part that matters since it's the only time you address my argument:

    If you want to speak whatever with your family or in your community great, but to get up in front of representatives of the government and speak a language you know they don't understand is very rude, and really detracts from his point. He is making immigrants looks bad.
    Okay, so speaking a language to a government that you pay as an American is rude. Why is it rude? I imagine you think it's rude because the United States belongs to English speaking people. This is OUR territory. Well, this is where I disagree. The United States belongs to Americans and if some Americans speaks Spanish, then Spanish is an appropriate language to use in a government hearing. OUR government should respect all of its citizens and their languages. Private citizens can respect or not respect whatever, but the role of government is different.

    Actually, nearly 90% of Americans think the official language should be English. I'm in the overwhelming majority.
    Never said you weren't. Now how does this explain that speaking Spanish is rude and insulting?

  9. #49
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Now how does this explain that speaking Spanish is rude and insulting?
    if you are speaking to people who do not speak spanish and you speak whatever the **** they speak, it is rude and stupid to use a translator if you do not have to.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #50
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    I am strongly against the two or three language concept.
    This has been successfully "creeping in " for the past 20-30 years, and IMO it is wrong.
    One nation, one people (humans) and one language...this is unifying, IMO.
    Many "nations", many ethnicities, many languages, this is dis-unifing..
    India for example; Europe for another...

Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •