Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 471

Thread: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

  1. #371
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    You aren't familiar with the long civil war in Sri Lanka? You aren't familiar with the various rebellions in Burma and India? You don't know about the problems in Indonesia? Well, doing into a prolonged discussion of them is beyond the scope of this thread.

    Ummm... tribalism in Africa... isn't that due to the lack of a national identity and not sharing a culture and language???
    I've heard of all those conflicts, I'm just not convinced the root of them all lies in the fact that people speak different languages. As for Africa, many tribes speak the same language and still hate each other's guts.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  2. #372
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    I heard and spoke it every day for 7 years while living in Zurich and still use it on a daily basis for my job here in Geneva.
    so the answer to my question is ... "no"
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #373
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    so the answer to my question is ... "no"
    Um, you do know we speak German in Switzerland, right? Just checking, because I'm not sure what it is you're getting at. You expect this man to speak English, but you're giving me a pass because I'm not 100% comfortable with the most spoken language in the country I live in? Clarify, please.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  4. #374
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    He could have asked prior to testifying, maybe informed the committee with a short letter "Hey guys, I speak english but..."

    It was, and we can fight over all the silliness in between, the fact in the middle of testimony we learn this advocate for illegals has lived here 23 years and couldn't/wouldn't speak English in the hearing that is the issue.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  5. #375
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    Um, you do know we speak German in Switzerland, right? Just checking, because I'm not sure what it is you're getting at. You expect this man to speak English, but you're giving me a pass because I'm not 100% comfortable with the most spoken language in the country I live in? Clarify, please.
    I'm not giving you a pass. sorry if I piss you off, but if you have been speaking a language for 25 years and you are not comfortable speaking it in front of an official body, maybe you have no business speaking in front of said body.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #376
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I'm not giving you a pass. sorry if I piss you off, but if you have been speaking a language for 25 years and you are not comfortable speaking it in front of an official body, maybe you have no business speaking in front of said body.
    Good thing I live in a country that respects me enough as a citizen to allow me to do that with an interpreter by my side then.

    And btw, as I said before, I speak 7 languages. The only language I am 100% comfortable with in ALL situations is French.
    Last edited by Arcana XV; 06-19-11 at 04:31 PM.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  7. #377
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    He could have asked prior to testifying, maybe informed the committee with a short letter "Hey guys, I speak english but..."

    It was, and we can fight over all the silliness in between, the fact in the middle of testimony we learn this advocate for illegals has lived here 23 years and couldn't/wouldn't speak English in the hearing that is the issue.
    Doesn't it upset you that what he was there to actually talk about got lost in this ridiculous little sideshow? That senator would have been much better served challenging the pro-illegal arguments the guy was there to defend than to throw a little temper tantrum over what language was being spoken.
    Last edited by Arcana XV; 06-19-11 at 04:36 PM.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  8. #378
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    If you want everyone to speak English, then I suggest you campaign for legislation that would make English the official language of the United States.
    That is a good suggestion. I like it.

  9. #379
    Educator Sgt Meowenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    620

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    thanks for missing the point. it's not that he spoke spanish. it's that he chose to speak spanish to english speakers even though he speaks english.
    He had an interpreter, correct? So then, what are you bitching about? Where is the law that states a person has to speak English when addressing a congressman? Where is the law that states a person can't use an interpreter? And how is he a dumbass for not speaking English? I got your point. The problem is, your point is ignorant nonsense.


  10. #380
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    I've heard of all those conflicts, I'm just not convinced the root of them all lies in the fact that people speak different languages. As for Africa, many tribes speak the same language and still hate each other's guts.
    Language is greatly unifying though, and it's one of the key factors in the us/them equation.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •