Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 471

Thread: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

  1. #341
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,611
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    No, DiAnna doesn't get it. Neither do you. He specifically said it was because it was his first time -- not because he was making a point about not assimilating.
    I might agree with you if he'd introduced himself as "a proud Hispanic American." He did not. He introduced himself only as belong to a hispanic activist organization. Dude was sending a message to "his own community", not to ours... and the fact that he does not consider the rest of America to be "his own community" after a quarter of a century living here, that's a problem for me.

  2. #342
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    I might agree with you if he'd introduced himself as "a proud Hispanic American." He did not. He introduced himself only as belong to a hispanic activist organization.
    As if that makes any difference. If he'd use those words, you would've picked on him for describing himself as something other than American. It's not the choice of words, but how you're electing to read them.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  3. #343
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    The guy spoke and understood English fluently. He was making a point, and the point he was making is that even though he chose to leave his country of origin and chose to become an American, he did not choose to become a part of the melting pot that is American culture. Instead, he wants America to conform to the culture of his country of origin. As far as the "speaking from the heart" thing, the dude was reading a speech that was already written down.
    for emphasis. DiAnna gets it.

    this is the freakin point.
    What you are both essentially saying is that this guy does not live up to your idea of a real American and therefore is being rude and disrespectful...not because of any practical or legal concerns, but because he did not melt into your "pot". This is what we call arrogance. Good luck with that.

  4. #344
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,611
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    As if that makes any difference. If he'd use those words, you would've picked on him for describing himself as something other than American. It's not the choice of words, but how you're electing to read them.
    No, I wouldn't have. Please don't decide how I would or would not say in a fictitious setting. I am responding to the clip in the OP, and how I view that. You viewed it differently. That does not make me wrong and you right. I makes us disagree.

  5. #345
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,611
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    What you are both essentially saying is that this guy does not live up to your idea of a real American and therefore is being rude and disrespectful...not because of any practical or legal concerns, but because he did not melt into your "pot". This is what we call arrogance. Good luck with that.
    I don't believe it's arrogant to have a point of view that you personally do not share. Do not tell me what I am "essentially" saying. I can, and have, spoken for myself. I have said what I meant, and nothing in my post indicated that the man was being rude or disrespectful. He was lobbying on behalf of his race, and I happen to believe that equality will never exist in this country until people of all races view themselves first and foremost as an American. As long as we define ourselves first by race and second by citizenship, the racial divides will continue to erode the cohesion of our populace.

  6. #346
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    No, I wouldn't have. Please don't decide how I would or would not say in a fictitious setting. I am responding to the clip in the OP, and how I view that. You viewed it differently. That does not make me wrong and you right. I makes us disagree.
    I'm not deciding for you, you made it pretty obvious -- you're splitting an imaginary hair based on a choice of words that doesn't justify the interpretation you've given them. You decided what his thinking is -- despite what he actually said his thinking was -- and you're interpreting his words to agree with your assessment. If he'd used different words, you would've interpreted them in a similar fashion.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  7. #347
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,611
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I'm not deciding for you, you made it pretty obvious -- you're splitting an imaginary hair based on a choice of words that doesn't justify the interpretation you've given them. You decided what his thinking is -- despite what he actually said his thinking was -- and you're interpreting his words to agree with your assessment. If he'd used different words, you would've interpreted them in a similar fashion.
    Since you've decided to discuss the poster, me, rather than the topic, we're done here.

  8. #348
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    I'm discussing what you said, but I guess that interpreting that as a personal attack is a convenient way to sidestep a point you can't address . . . if a bit transparent.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  9. #349
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    I don't believe it's arrogant to have a point of view that you personally do not share.
    Neither do I. That's not why I called your point of view arrogant...at all. Read it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna
    Do not tell me what I am "essentially" saying. I can, and have, spoken for myself.
    Okay, let's take your own words since we can't be more efficient by summing it up like I did.

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    The guy spoke and understood English fluently. He was making a point, and the point he was making is that even though he chose to leave his country of origin and chose to become an American, he did not choose to become a part of the melting pot that is American culture. Instead, he wants America to conform to the culture of his country of origin.
    1. Let me point out the irony of you telling me not to tell you what you're "essentially" saying when you have just made a completely baseless assumption about the "point" this man was making and told him what he was "essentially" doing by speaking Spanish.

    2. In this quote, you have clearly laid out your idea of what a real American is and criticized the guy for not living up to it - this is exactly what I said you did, so your criticism of my analysis is baseless.


    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna
    I have said what I meant, and nothing in my post indicated that the man was being rude or disrespectful.
    My mistake, I've always associated "wanting America to conform to the culture of his country of origin" instead of "becoming a part of the melting pot" as an accusation of disrespect. Moreover, the fact that you "wouldn't have been particularly ticked off he hadn't introduced himself as a Hispanic activist" means that you are, in fact, particularly ticked off since he did.

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna
    He was lobbying on behalf of his race, and I happen to believe that equality will never exist in this country until people of all races view themselves first and foremost as an American. As long as we define ourselves first by race and second by citizenship, the racial divides will continue to erode the cohesion of our populace.
    Mexican and Hispanic aren't races.

  10. #350
    Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
    SgtRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,006

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    What we need in this country is to make English the official language. We also need to eliminate ESL and teach children using the english immersion method. I am fed up with illegals demanding rights in our country. They have no right to be here in the first place.
    When America is strong the world is calm, When America is weak tyrants and terrorist slaughter the meek. ~ SgtRock

Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •