Page 24 of 48 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 471

Thread: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

  1. #231
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    It sounds like you live an amazing life.
    Settled down now in Taiwan with a family and focused on my running career the past ten years, but yeah, had some great experiences living in China, Japan and Indonesia...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  2. #232
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    I liked when the next man to speak introduced himself by saying, “I had prepared my remarks in English, but I’ve chosen to do them in Spanish. Or in French, s’il vous plaît.”


    There's a reason the Texas legislature is biennial. It limits their exposure of stupidity to the rest of the world.
    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

  3. #233
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Of course he can do so. And the senator can comment, and so can you, and so can we. That's how that goes.
    No ****ing ****. What's your point?

  4. #234
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    No ****ing ****. What's your point?
    You mad, bro?

  5. #235
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    But you know, some things simply don't translate well. I work part time as both a translator and interpreter with five languages (it looks like I will be with the interpreting team for Lady Gaga's visit -- gag!! -- next month) and it really is not as easy as it seems. Even with French and English, it isn't all that easy and things are easily lost in translation...
    Right, but that's not the issue I have. My point is that its really stupid to feel insulted by someone speaking Spanish.

  6. #236
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    You mad, bro?
    No, not so much. Swearing =/= anger. Again, what's your point?

  7. #237
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Right, but that's not the issue I have. My point is that its really stupid to feel insulted by someone speaking Spanish.
    And that's you, simplifying it again. It wasn't because he was speaking Spanish. It was because he knows English.

  8. #238
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    No, not so much. Swearing =/= anger. Again, what's your point?
    My point was already made. You not like it did not negate it.

  9. #239
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    And that's you, simplifying it again. It wasn't because he was speaking Spanish. It was because he knows English.
    Then you're simplifying the point too.

    It's not just that he knows English - it's that he feels more comfortable speaking at an important event in his first language - an understandable situation.

    He spoke Spanish while knowing English because it made him comfortable. If you're insulted by that, you're choosing to be insulted.

  10. #240
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    My point was already made. You not like it did not negate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Of course he can do so. And the senator can comment, and so can you, and so can we. That's how that goes.
    This is not a point. This is something I agree with and have never contradicted, so....

Page 24 of 48 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •