Page 19 of 48 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 471

Thread: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

  1. #181
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Do you speak Spanish?
    Not for a long a time. I imagine I could if I brushed up. Why?

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I've already said that it's more practical to speak English - you have yet to explain why it's rude or insulting to speak Spanish, an American language, in your OWN country to your OWN government with a translator.
    Because he DOES speak their language. He does. The man spoke easily understood English. He made a choice to show up at a hearing where the people he spoke to speak English, bearing a translator and speaking Spanish.

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    it boils down to this:

    If you are addressing an assembly and you speak their language, it is rude NOT to speak their language to them.
    Exactly. Exactly, exactly, exactly; exactly.

  4. #184
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Because he DOES speak their language. He does. The man spoke easily understood English. He made a choice to show up at a hearing where the people he spoke to speak English, bearing a translator and speaking Spanish.
    Right and he felt more comfortable speaking Spanish because it's his first language. I fail to see how this is offensive except to those who chose to be offended by someone being more comfortable speaking their native tongue in an important moment.

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Meowenstein View Post
    I've read all of the posts up this point. I can't take anymore. Playdrive is correct. There is no official language in the USA. If the guy wanted to speak Spanish, so be it. This is still a free country, right? Calling someone a dumbass just because they spoke Spanish at a senate hearing just makes you look like a dumbass. Congrats, you're a typical closed-minded con.
    Great. Now I'm a conservative.

    /sulk

  6. #186
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Good article, a few good points made that shifted my stance a bit.

    Speak English, not Spanish, demands Texas lawmaker | Reuters

  7. #187
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    For me, it boils down to how effectively he felt he could communicate his views/opinions/testimony across. If he can speak English, but it sucks, it's entirely reasonable to want a translator both for his own sake and for the audience's sake. I disagree that he spoke Spanish in order to make some sort of political statement, because if that were the case, it really doesn't help him or his cause. People who feel offended by this do so because they choose to be offended.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Great. Now I'm a conservative.

    /sulk
    LOL. I would congratulate you. Welcome to the thinking side. :-)

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Good article, a few good points made that shifted my stance a bit.

    Speak English, not Spanish, demands Texas lawmaker | Reuters
    And here is what the activist said:
    That's our culture," Martinez said. "Spanish was here first. Many of us learned English later. They can never take away our culture. They can never take away our heritage."
    He does not want to be an American. He wants to be a Mexican in the reconquest of Texas. Well, if it a war he wants...where is the one term president Obama? Let's just rename the country Libya...

  10. #190
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    12-25-11 @ 12:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    This thread is so ridiculous I had to post.

    It's been too well established that the man could speak English, can we cut the "If they want to function in this country...." BS? Obviously he's functioning here if he's testifying to representatives as an immigrant rights activist - an authority - nimwad. They didn't pull him off the street.

    It's been too well established that English is not the official language of the USA; it's also been too well established that most people in this country speak English. Neither of these points are going anywhere.

    Moreover, I'm seeing all this rage about how he was a dumbass trying to make a "statement" (as I've seen it quoted). I'm mostly seeing this by conservatives ignoring the fact that the man is speaking passionately about family values. It's probably not what he intended, but I think his "statement" works, albeit differently than he intended, because I get to see how imbecilic Americans can be; getting outraged about which language The Other American spoke his words in and ignoring the fact they whole heartedly agree with the message.

    Why am I having to see so many huff and puff? Shouldn't the representative be acquainted with Spanish considering a significant part of the populace he represents speaks the language? It's not like Spanish speakers just got here people, acquaint yourself with the damn language. It's been a significant part of THIS LAND for hundreds of years.

    The man should ask for his tax dollars back if his representative can't communicate with the people in his district or state.

    No one's time is so precious, ESPECIALLY ON THIS WEBSITE, that they should have the gall to be insulted by the medium of this message.

Page 19 of 48 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •