Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 471

Thread: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

  1. #101
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Like make a big deal out of what language some one is speaking?
    Thank You. This is so stupid.

  2. #102
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    That would mean that you would have to see that every citizen does speak, read, and write in the official language. You might find that a challenge as education in those skills would have to be provide free of charge for all of those people.
    If they were born in the country, more than likely, they can speak english. If they are immigrating, make it a requirement. For the rest of the population, free classes at the local tech college, but its not a big deal as that generation will eventually die off and as long as we catch all of the inputs, we are good.

  3. #103
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,343
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    1. He can speak English, he chose not to because he didn't feel comfortable.
    2. The highlighted part is my main point - the outrage and applauding just seems so stupid to me.
    It feels uncomfortable because it is mindless populism in action. The only thing that should have mattered is whether the guy could make his points. But when you cannot argue against points, you take cheap shots that will be popular with the weak minded.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #104
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I just thought of another good reason to support a national language. Having different groups speaking different languages with no primary motivation to learn whatever the unified language of the country is promotes regionalism or the community over the country as a whole, making our population even more factional (which even further complicates politics)
    Although I personally am not opposed to the idea of a national language, I think this reasoning would make more sense if we were talking about other countries (certain countries in Europe, a significant number of countries in Africa, and some Asian countries). Not so much the US when we're talking about regionalism on a national scale.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 06-17-11 at 02:27 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  5. #105
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Not that rude. He was speaking at an important event and his first language is Spanish - he wanted to get his point across as well as possible.
    then maybe he should have spoken the language that most of his audience does....instead of relying on a translator
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #106
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,343
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    which he did NOT need.....since he speaks english. hence the rude bit.
    Does he speak english as well as spanish? If not, he may have chosen the language he is most comfortable in to ensure he got his point across in something as important as Senate testimony.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #107
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,343
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    that's what you think this is about? why am I not surprised?
    Because you know I hate people making a big deal out of stupid ****?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #108
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Why didn't he just translate his Spanish to English after he said it in Spanish? Why hire a translator? Dumbass..


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  9. #109
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Although I personally am not opposed to the idea of a national language, I think this reasoning would make sense if we were talking about other countries (certain countries in Europe, a significant number of countries in Africa, and some Asian countries). Not so much the US when we're talking about regionalism on a national scale.
    I used to be all "English needs to be our official language, this is America", especially after a time I was in a local mall and they made announcements only in Spanish and I was pissed, but I've grown to like the idea of living in place where all languages are American and welcome and there isn't any "official" language. While I do think learning English is pretty essential to surviving here, I think people should be able to speak what makes them feel comfortable in front of their supposedly non-biased government.

  10. #110
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,174

    Re: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Texas is where this situation, the topic of this thread occurred - so your point about "official language" has no bearing on the specific situation I'm talking about. What the hell indeed.

    Again, if you look back at our conversation and actually read it this time, you'll realize the Florida comment was a response to a strawman comment you made about the US in general.

    Also, it's too bad you think I'm being dishonest, that's not my intention at all.
    Then why did you bring up Florida and then act like I was talking about Florida out of left field and apply something from an entirely different state to what was being said about Florida? You're all over the place, and you're either being dishonest or you have a 30-second memory. I'm inclined to think you're just beind dishonest since you seem to have selective memory.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 06-17-11 at 02:32 PM.

Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •