Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 116

Thread: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

  1. #1
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    A bipartisan group of 10 lawmakers is suing President Barack Obama for taking military action against Libya without war authorization from Congress.

    The lawmakers say Mr. Obama violated the Constitution in bypassing Congress and using international organizations like the United Nations and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to authorize military force.

    The lawmakers want a judge to issue an order suspending military operations without congressional approval. They said they were filing their lawsuit Wednesday against Mr. Obama and Defense Secretary Robert Gates.
    10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes - CBS News



    This will go exactly nowhere. Even the highest court has proven to be extremely reluctant to get in the middle of an argument between the President and Congress.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,139

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes - CBS News



    This will go exactly nowhere. Even the highest court has proven to be extremely reluctant to get in the middle of an argument between the President and Congress.
    The highest court was created in part to get in the midle of an argument between the President and Congress. Congress has ceded too much of its power and destroyed the checks and balances which are meant to be in place, particularly where the military is concerned. I damned well hope that more lawmakers join in and that we put the proper restraints on the power of the President. The President is 1 guy, he wasn't meant to have all the power. It needs to be handled and this has to result in lessening the Presidents power to use our military any way he sees fit.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #3
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes - CBS News



    This will go exactly nowhere. Even the highest court has proven to be extremely reluctant to get in the middle of an argument between the President and Congress.
    If it does, it will be wrong for the courts.
    The president is required to defer to congress after 60 days.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #4
    Advisor shades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-28-16 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    322

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The President is 1 guy, he wasn't meant to have all the power. It needs to be handled and this has to result in lessening the Presidents power to use our military any way he sees fit.
    and this is especially true in matters of sending my son or daughter in harms way, one man can not make that call, under any circumstance short of immediate national security,
    and especially not under the premise that its different because its a UN operation.
    I'M VOTING FOR THE WHITE GUY THIS TIME

  5. #5
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The highest court was created in part to get in the midle of an argument between the President and Congress. Congress has ceded too much of its power and destroyed the checks and balances which are meant to be in place, particularly where the military is concerned. I damned well hope that more lawmakers join in and that we put the proper restraints on the power of the President. The President is 1 guy, he wasn't meant to have all the power. It needs to be handled and this has to result in lessening the Presidents power to use our military any way he sees fit.
    I agree with you, except that the problem of Congress ceding power to the President needs to be fixed by Congress and not by the courts.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,139

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I agree with you, except that the problem of Congress ceding power to the President needs to be fixed by Congress and not by the courts.
    Once they ceded the power, the only way they are likely to get it back is to use the courts. Regardless, what we really should enforce is that we've split the powers the way they are on purpose. Congress does not have the authority to cede any of its power to any other branch. We told it to do X, it has to do X. No one else gets to do X. In this case, it's purse and declaration of war and we need to abide by these.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #7
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    The problem isn't that the courts are Congress' only recourse.

    The problem is that Congress lacks the political will to check the President where it really counts.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,139

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    The problem isn't that the courts are Congress' only recourse.

    The problem is that Congress lacks the political will to check the President where it really counts.
    Well, yeah. They've ceded a lot of responsibility so they could focus on...I don't know, sending pics of their dicks to people on Twitter I suppose. Lazy jerks. If I were Congress, hell I'd be going after the President for using EO's to legislate. The President should have zero powers of legislation. The President needs to know his role. He's the head of state, and the bitch of Congress and the Courts. He does what they tell him to do and no more.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #9
    Advisor shades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-28-16 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    322

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    The problem isn't that the courts are Congress' only recourse.

    The problem is that Congress lacks the political will to check the President where it really counts.
    exactly, how else would you explain 70% of the country screaming at the top of their lungs, NO OBAMACARE.. and congress doing it anyway.
    right in our face..

    you will pay the price for such audasity
    I'M VOTING FOR THE WHITE GUY THIS TIME

  10. #10
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well, yeah. They've ceded a lot of responsibility so they could focus on...I don't know, sending pics of their dicks to people on Twitter I suppose. Lazy jerks. If I were Congress, hell I'd be going after the President for using EO's to legislate. The President should have zero powers of legislation. The President needs to know his role. He's the head of state, and the bitch of Congress and the Courts. He does what they tell him to do and no more.
    Hell. Yeah.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •