Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 116

Thread: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

  1. #41
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes - CBS News



    This will go exactly nowhere. Even the highest court has proven to be extremely reluctant to get in the middle of an argument between the President and Congress.
    I fear you may be right but is a Constitutional issue and it is according to that document it is up to the Supreme Court to settle any issue between the Legislative and Executive branches.

    It is clear that Obama is in violation of the Constitution which I see as much more serious than lying about getting a Lewinsky in a closet.

    It won't go past Obama being told to comply. If he does not then he is in jeopardy, I hope.
    Last edited by Councilman; 06-16-11 at 06:18 AM.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by shades View Post
    and this is especially true in matters of sending my son or daughter in harms way, one man can not make that call, under any circumstance short of immediate national security,
    and especially not under the premise that its different because its a UN operation.
    I wonder how those in the military feel about being the one term president Obama's bitc...uh, oh, handmaiden?

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by W00ster View Post
    But I bet none of them had any problems with the outright lies the Bush administration used to invade Iraq nor any problems with the amount of Americans killed as a result of their lies. Nor do they seemingly have any issues with the 6.6 billion tax payer dollars stolen in Iraq. Nope, the #1 killer of Americans over the past decade is living peacefully in Crawford, Texas. The #2 killer, Bin Laden was not so lucky!
    Tu quoque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  4. #44
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by W00ster View Post
    But I bet none of them had any problems with the outright lies the Bush administration used to invade Iraq nor any problems with the amount of Americans killed as a result of their lies. Nor do they seemingly have any issues with the 6.6 billion tax payer dollars stolen in Iraq. Nope, the #1 killer of Americans over the past decade is living peacefully in Crawford, Texas. The #2 killer, Bin Laden was not so lucky!
    I overlooked this quote early . . .

    You say this as if Bush was truthful and forthright outcoming in the beginning of things that everyone would have been behind him.

    The whole problem, here, is that many people just don't want to be fighting a war - period - Bush could have been as honest as the sun but would anyone have supported him even then?

    I wouldn't have - I strongly oppose us ever 'invading' anyone because of some sort of war-powers act or civility treaty that the other party violates. I don't think threat of invasion should EVER be an element in any sort of treaty - just absolutely absurd.

    This is the truth that most don't ever discuss, hear about or know of - the invasion of Iraq was pre-planned due to perceived violations of our treaty with them.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #45
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No, he should be able to deploy troops per the war powers act, as it is now. Employment of our military shouldn't be left to the suits in Congress who have demonstrated that they're willing to endanger the country to win political points.
    It's the proper check on Presidential power. The President ain't king, and he should not be allowed to use the military any which way he desires. There needs to be a proper check, and that proper check comes through Congressional authorization of force.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #46
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,719

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Any chance we could stay focused on the topic of the War Powers Act and congressional action on it instead of playing more Bush/Clinton did it too games?
    Because we will never have an accountable government if we always keep bouncing that particular ball back and forth.

    Address the problem once--set a precedent and abide by it.
    Btw Ikari, nice job staying on topic.

  7. #47
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    06-16-11 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    42

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    So, are you saying Clinton lied to? Again, do you know the DEFINITION of lie?

    And getting rid of a brutal dictator is not a good thing? Seeing elections in Iraq is not a good thing?
    Definition of Lie: An intentionally False Statement.

    All politicians lie. Yes, even Clinton. what matters is what happens after they leave office. Clinton left office with a surge of International Co-operation and respect, and a 2 Trillion Dollar Surplus.

    Bush and his croneys were just looking for excuses. Stop being a bigot.

    Yes, the Removal of Saddam Hussein was a good thing. But it was not, and never will be worth the Thousands of American Lives that it cost!

    Especially not when it was NEVER the 'stated goal' of the war in Iraq.

    Don't try to tell me whether that war was Justified or not. I spent time in that Sandy Hell.

    Ikari: Congress doesn't declare war for the right reasons. They've proved it in the past. Congress should not be the Power Check on the President's ability to deploy troops.

    We need a different way of handling something so important as our country Going To War when not under direct threat of invasion. Because Congress Cannot. Be. Trusted.
    Last edited by ItsAProcess; 06-16-11 at 02:49 PM.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAProcess View Post
    Ikari: Congress doesn't declare war for the right reasons. They've proved it in the past. Congress should not be the Power Check on the President's ability to deploy troops.

    We need a different way of handling something so important as our country Going To War when not under direct threat of invasion. Because Congress Cannot. Be. Trusted.
    Doesn't declare war for the "right" reasons? What are the "right reasons"? The last time they declared war was WW II, which was pretty appropriate after the Japanese attacked us. We have 3 branches of government. Obviously the President can't be a check on himself. So that leaves the Courts and Congress. Only Congress was granted the ability to declare war, thus proper oversight and regulation about when we deploy troops around the world should be checked by them as they were given the power to do so. The proper check on the use of our military comes through Congress.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #49
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,762

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    This will go exactly nowhere. Even the highest court has proven to be extremely reluctant to get in the middle of an argument between the President and Congress.
    100% Correct.

    The simple fact is no court including the Supreme Court has the authority to intercede on matters between the President and Congress where the President's foreign policy, ability to negotiate treaties or his ability to command the military as CinC are concerned. The only body that has this authority is Congress itself.

    Art 1, Sec 2, Clause 5 - "House of Representatives has the power to Impeach a sitting President"

    Art 1, Sec 3, Clause 6 - "Senate has the sole power to try all Impeachments"

    25th Amendment - "Presidential Succession of power (resignation) or death"

    That's all folks!

  10. #50
    User W00ster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    07-16-11 @ 08:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    63

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Bush lied? Really?
    Yes, to the whole world through Colin Powell in front of the UN general assembly. There is more then enough recordings of the speech, I even watched it myself.

    - No WMD's in Iraq
    - Saddam did not cooperate with Al-Qaeda

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •