Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 116

Thread: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

  1. #21
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,927
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAProcess View Post
    Because the last war that congress approved was a great one, right? It did so much for the U.S. And the world. And it was all for a just, honest cause, correct?
    Would removing the requirement for Congress' approval would have...what? Prevented the war? Made teh war mo betta?

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAProcess View Post
    The idea that Congress is some sort of moralistic balance on the PoTUS' powers is fallacious.
    Sure, it is. And as soon as I see someone making that argument, I will point them to your post.

    It's not about a "moralistic balance," w/e that is, it's about the practical issue, not a moralistic one.
    I may be wrong.

  2. #22
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,399

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    He should be able to deploy the troops....after he gets Congress's approval.
    No, he should be able to deploy troops per the war powers act, as it is now. Employment of our military shouldn't be left to the suits in Congress who have demonstrated that they're willing to endanger the country to win political points.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Bush lied? Really?
    Never mind W00, he doesn't care about the present, or the future, just the past, as told to him by huffpo
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #24
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No, he should be able to deploy troops per the war powers act, as it is now. Employment of our military shouldn't be left to the suits in Congress who have demonstrated that they're willing to endanger the country to win political points.
    "Employment of our military" meaning what, exactly?
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  5. #25
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,927
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAProcess View Post
    My point is that you say 'after he gets Congress' approval'. Like Congress approving a war automatically makes the war a justified one, a good one, one that is for the best of America and the American People.
    I don't think anyone suggested that Congress was an arbiter of what is or is not a justified war.
    I don't think that's anyone's point.

    The argument is that it's their job because it divests the Office of the PotUS of dangerous power.
    I may be wrong.

  6. #26
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    06-16-11 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    42

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    I don't think anyone suggested that Congress was an arbiter of what is or is not a justified war.
    I don't think that's anyone's point.

    The argument is that it's their job because it divests the Office of the PotUS of dangerous power.
    And my point is that Congress cannot be trusted with that power either. They've proven in recent history that they declare war based on what's good for them. Not based on what is good for the American People.

  7. #27
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,399

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    "Employment of our military" meaning what, exactly?
    You don't know the difference between, "employment", and, "deployment", as defined by the military?

  8. #28
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You don't know the difference between, "employment", and, "deployment", as defined by the military?
    No, I honestly don't, and since you used the term I figured I could ask you to define it.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  9. #29
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,399

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    No, I honestly don't, and since you used the term I figured I could ask you to define it.
    Ok, it's not that hard.

    U.S. forces are currently deployed to the Libyan theater of operations. They are currenlty employed in strictly a support role. Ya with me?

  10. #30
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: 10 U.S. lawmakers sue Obama over Libya strikes

    So deployment talks about where you put a bunch of guys, and employment talks about what you have them do while they're there?
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •