Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 81

Thread: More physicians leaving private practices

  1. #71
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: More physicians leaving private practices

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Ok, so after Obama declared for months that this isn't a tax, and no taxes would be raised on the poor, and middle class, he raises them by up to 25% in many cases. So it is a case of choose your lie I guess. Either he was lying when he said it wasn't a tax, or he is lying now.....Either way....
    I'm not really interested in what politicians say for political posturing (I could point out that Republicans swore up and down it was a tax, until the law passed and they filed a lawsuit saying the opposite). I'm more interested in the substance of the law.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #72
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,124

    Re: More physicians leaving private practices

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Only if you think of it in terms of "We want you to do A, and if you don't we're going to penalize you by making you do B." That's pretty subjective. A more neutral reading of the law would be "We're compelling you to do either A or B, take your pick." So no one is being forced to buy private insurance, any more than anyone is being forced to pay the government a fee for being uninsured. You have two distinct options, and you can choose the one that you like better.
    i don't follow you here
    the two options for a citizen are to (a) pay the private third party as directed by the federal government; or (b) pay a fine to the federal government for not doing (a)
    notice how it still revolves around the federal government forcing you to buy something from a private vendor whether you want it or not, or incurring a fine if you fail to make a purchase from that private third party vendor
    if you believe that is Constitutionally sound then you would also recognize that the federal government passing legislation compelling you to buy natural gas from a natural gas provider, whether you use natural gas or not, or want natural gas or not, would be found legal
    i will stay with 'no'
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #73
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: More physicians leaving private practices

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    i don't follow you here
    the two options for a citizen are to (a) pay the private third party as directed by the federal government; or (b) pay a fine to the federal government for not doing (a)
    notice how it still revolves around the federal government forcing you to buy something from a private vendor whether you want it or not, or incurring a fine if you fail to make a purchase from that private third party vendor
    Look at it this way: The law raises your taxes by 2.5% of your income. However, if you choose to get health insurance, the government will give you a tax credit for 2.5% of your income. The government gives tax credits for purchases made in the private sector all the time, with everything from solar panels to mortgage interest to eyeglasses.

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba
    if you believe that is Constitutionally sound then you would also recognize that the federal government passing legislation compelling you to buy natural gas from a natural gas provider, whether you use natural gas or not, or want natural gas or not, would be found legal
    Yes, I see no reason why that would be unconstitutional. (Whether it would be good policy is a separate question). But regardless, the scenarios aren't exactly comparable because in your scenario they're forcing you to buy natural gas, whereas the Affordable Care Act doesn't actually force you to buy health insurance. You can pay 2.5% of your income instead.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 06-15-11 at 06:00 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #74
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More physicians leaving private practices

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post








    More lies....So much for keeping your doctor....

    j-mac
    J, why wouldn't they still keep thier doctor? They are still in practice, so why do you think the doctor would change? Please, explain further.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #75
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: More physicians leaving private practices

    I do not hesitate to tell everyone that Obama is incapable of telling the truth.

    The cuts in Medicare have cause Doctors to drop elderly patients because they can't afford to receive only 1/3 of what it costs to treat them.

    Obama care is frighten to me because it well place severe limits on what treatment older patients can receive. Obama claims no death panels.

    Okay I believe it but it's a matter of semantics. Remember a rose by any name.

    There was a time when I would never consider saying what I have said about Obama and Bush but we are in harms way, out continued existence as the greatest, freest, Nation on Earth is at stake.

  6. #76
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,272
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: More physicians leaving private practices

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    I do not hesitate to tell everyone that Obama is incapable of telling the truth.

    The cuts in Medicare have cause Doctors to drop elderly patients because they can't afford to receive only 1/3 of what it costs to treat them.

    Obama care is frighten to me because it well place severe limits on what treatment older patients can receive. Obama claims no death panels.

    Okay I believe it but it's a matter of semantics. Remember a rose by any name.

    There was a time when I would never consider saying what I have said about Obama and Bush but we are in harms way, out continued existence as the greatest, freest, Nation on Earth is at stake.
    Do you support ryans plan?

  7. #77
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: More physicians leaving private practices

    So all politicians tell the truth other than Obama?

    Look, I don't really see anything upsetting in the original OP. Now, perhaps you want to move away from that one, which is OK with me, but let's be clear, absolute truth is not likely a criteria any of our leaders will stand up to. Explain where Obam differs from all other politicians.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #78
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: More physicians leaving private practices

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Not at all. See when you make a law that intentionally drives certain costs, and slashes others in the name of "the Greater Good" then you force docs to make decisions like this because they can't afford their practices, and the tools to make them successful. This is only the first step in downgrading America's health care.

    j-mac
    Hi, Mac. I usually find myself agreeing with you...but not here.

    These people aren't going out of the doctor business. They're choosing to form or join organizations to maximize their efficiency and the efficiencies of scale. The days of a doctor being able to practice "alone" are certainly going to be a thing of the past. The overhead for individual offices -- even for a couple of doctors -- is prohibitive....if they are going to practice the best medicine available in the U.S. today.

    The economies and potential greater profitability of a "clinic setting" makes a hole lot more sense by far tha the individual doctors' office model.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #79
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: More physicians leaving private practices

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    The cuts in Medicare have cause Doctors to drop elderly patients because they can't afford to receive only 1/3 of what it costs to treat them.
    That's a lot of who-shot-John. Doctors are never going to drop elderly patients in any considerable number. Who do you think uses the most healthcare in our country? It's not 30-year-olds...
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #80
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,124

    Re: More physicians leaving private practices

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Look at it this way: The law raises your taxes by 2.5% of your income. However, if you choose to get health insurance, the government will give you a tax credit for 2.5% of your income. The government gives tax credits for purchases made in the private sector all the time, with everything from solar panels to mortgage interest to eyeglasses.



    Yes, I see no reason why that would be unconstitutional. (Whether it would be good policy is a separate question). But regardless, the scenarios aren't exactly comparable because in your scenario they're forcing you to buy natural gas, whereas the Affordable Care Act doesn't actually force you to buy health insurance. You can pay 2.5% of your income instead.
    admittedly, i did not read the final health care legislation
    but i do not recall a hue and cry about 2.5% being added to our tax bill, only to be recovered upon filing FTRs showing health insurance costs were incurred
    are you certain this is how it is going to work?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •