Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: U.S. funding for future promises lags by trillions

  1. #1
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    U.S. funding for future promises lags by trillions

    The federal government's financial condition deteriorated rapidly last year, far beyond the $1.5 trillion in new debt taken on to finance the budget deficit, a USA TODAY analysis shows.

    The government added $5.3 trillion in new financial obligations in 2010, largely for retirement programs such as Medicare and Social Security. That brings to a record $61.6 trillion the total of financial promises not paid for.
    This gap between spending commitments and revenue last year equals more than one-third of the nation's gross domestic product.
    Medicare alone took on $1.8 trillion in new liabilities, more than the record deficit prompting heated debate between Congress and the White House over lifting the debt ceiling.
    U.S. funding for future promises lags by trillions - USATODAY.com

    So, how about we face reality now that we've made promises we can never hope to keep, and move forward by doing the right thing for our future and ending those programs putting us in such a hole.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #2
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: U.S. funding for future promises lags by trillions

    But, but..that would be political suicide! Heaven forbid anybody do what is right at the sake of reelection!
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #3
    Advisor shades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-28-16 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    322

    Re: U.S. funding for future promises lags by trillions

    all true, but there has to be a clear plan.

    Saving Medicare for people over 55 and alerting those under 55 that they have 15 years to make some other arrangements to survive on a todays dollar 8,OOO.oo
    voucher propped health care plan seems reasonable.

    the problem will be between now and then to convince the insurance companys to offer a plan at or very near that cost to provide seniors health needs.

    putting the ball in the private sectors hands is the only way out of the funds shortfall, plain and simple.
    I'M VOTING FOR THE WHITE GUY THIS TIME

  4. #4
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: U.S. funding for future promises lags by trillions

    There is a very easy way out. Simply print more money.

    That will take care of the problem and, 'sides, that will teach those seniors. When they figure out the only thing they can buy with their monthly SS payment is a week's worth of cat food, they will wish they hadn't made such a fuss about attempts at reform.

    .

  5. #5
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: U.S. funding for future promises lags by trillions

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    U.S. funding for future promises lags by trillions - USATODAY.com

    So, how about we face reality now that we've made promises we can never hope to keep, and move forward by doing the right thing for our future and ending those programs putting us in such a hole.
    Such as aggressive, interventionist wars in foreign countries which spend trillions of dollars? That one? Or did you mean that we should stop helping the poor in our country?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: U.S. funding for future promises lags by trillions

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Such as aggressive, interventionist wars in foreign countries which spend trillions of dollars? That one? Or did you mean that we should stop helping the poor in our country?
    I doubt that Socialism was ever "The American Dream" but it seems it was for enough of them. It will not end until, like other Socialist countries, there is a near or total collapse.

  7. #7
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: U.S. funding for future promises lags by trillions

    Oh, my! The sky is falling!

    Why must conservative leadership always operate from a place of fear and loathing?

    Government's mountain of debt - USATODAY.com offers more details and some alternatives to the knee-jerk conservative demands that we must terminate these all too popular and successful social programs or die in the gutter.

    The reality is that the solutions to our long term obligations have been well known for quite some time; spending cuts through tailored program adjustments, e.g., gradually increasing early retirement age to 64 years over the course of decades, and, revenue increases, e.g., allow tax rates to return to their Clinton-era levels when we experienced the greatest economic expansion in human history.

    The sky is not falling no matter how much conservative leaders wish it would.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  8. #8
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: U.S. funding for future promises lags by trillions

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    Oh, my! The sky is falling!

    Why must conservative leadership always operate from a place of fear and loathing?

    Government's mountain of debt - USATODAY.com offers more details and some alternatives to the knee-jerk conservative demands that we must terminate these all too popular and successful social programs or die in the gutter.

    The reality is that the solutions to our long term obligations have been well known for quite some time; spending cuts through tailored program adjustments, e.g., gradually increasing early retirement age to 64 years over the course of decades, and, revenue increases, e.g., allow tax rates to return to their Clinton-era levels when we experienced the greatest economic expansion in human history.

    The sky is not falling no matter how much conservative leaders wish it would.
    If all of those ideas are so great, Chappy, then why isn't the liberal leadership putting them on the table? They aren't putting anything on thet able.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  9. #9
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: U.S. funding for future promises lags by trillions

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    If all of those ideas are so great, Chappy, then why isn't the liberal leadership putting them on the table? They aren't putting anything on thet able.
    The Republocrats never put anything on the table. It's much easier to sit back and point fingers than to do anything. Plus, then you can't get in trouble for having done something.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #10
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: U.S. funding for future promises lags by trillions

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The Republocrats never put anything on the table. It's much easier to sit back and point fingers than to do anything. Plus, then you can't get in trouble for having done something.
    I wonder how challenging it is for you to completely ignore reality.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •