Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 477

Thread: Officials: Half of force trained on gay ban repeal

  1. #1
    Steve
    tryreading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Last Seen
    02-26-13 @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,809

    Officials: Half of force trained on gay ban repeal

    Didn't see this posted anywhere. Seems things are going as expected regarding the new policy. I think most of us knew our military wouldn't fall apart over this.


    WASHINGTON – More than a million U.S. troops — roughly half the armed forces — have been trained on the new law allowing gays to serve openly in the military, and so far there has been none of the turmoil or dire consequences predicted by opponents of what had been expected to be a wrenching change in military culture.

    There's been no widespread resistance, no mad rush for the door by enlisted members opposed to the policy and no drop in recruiting.

    "So far this seems to be a non-event," Gen. Peter Chiarelli, vice chief of staff for the Army, told reporters recently.



    Officials: Half of force trained on gay ban repeal - Yahoo! News
    Do not write in this space!

  2. #2
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: Officials: Half of force trained on gay ban repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post
    Didn't see this posted anywhere. Seems things are going as expected regarding the new policy. I think most of us knew our military wouldn't fall apart over this.


    WASHINGTON – More than a million U.S. troops — roughly half the armed forces — have been trained on the new law allowing gays to serve openly in the military, and so far there has been none of the turmoil or dire consequences predicted by opponents of what had been expected to be a wrenching change in military culture.

    There's been no widespread resistance, no mad rush for the door by enlisted members opposed to the policy and no drop in recruiting.

    "So far this seems to be a non-event," Gen. Peter Chiarelli, vice chief of staff for the Army, told reporters recently.



    Officials: Half of force trained on gay ban repeal - Yahoo! News
    It's only been a few months.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: Officials: Half of force trained on gay ban repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's only been a few months.
    You do understand that the overwhelming majority of people, that includes the military - simply aren't the biggoted homophobic hill billies you seem bent on portraying them as correct? If the military didn't fall apart over race, it won't fall apart over sexual preference. I'll bet anything on it.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    Re: Officials: Half of force trained on gay ban repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by tryreading View Post
    Didn't see this posted anywhere. Seems things are going as expected regarding the new policy. I think most of us knew our military wouldn't fall apart over this.


    WASHINGTON – More than a million U.S. troops — roughly half the armed forces — have been trained on the new law allowing gays to serve openly in the military, and so far there has been none of the turmoil or dire consequences predicted by opponents of what had been expected to be a wrenching change in military culture.

    There's been no widespread resistance, no mad rush for the door by enlisted members opposed to the policy and no drop in recruiting.

    "So far this seems to be a non-event," Gen. Peter Chiarelli, vice chief of staff for the Army, told reporters recently.



    Officials: Half of force trained on gay ban repeal - Yahoo! News

    Well, that's good news. Hope it stays that way. I was fervently hoping this wasn't going to affect the military's combat readiness or morale; if it doesn't, good.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #5
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,597
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Officials: Half of force trained on gay ban repeal

    Since I'm female, I should refrain... but I can't! "I told y'all so!!!" :mrgreen

  6. #6
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: Officials: Half of force trained on gay ban repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Well, that's good news. Hope it stays that way. I was fervently hoping this wasn't going to affect the military's combat readiness or morale; if it doesn't, good.
    Why were you hoping it wasn't going to do something that nobody other than people with reservations - and by that I really mean clearcut homophobia - about homosexuality thought it was going to do? This is what is most perplexing about the supporters of DADT or similar policies. What exatcly did you think was going to happen? Sociologists have been explaining for years that military culture as neantherthal as it may seem in its customs to outsiders, is really not much different from the rest of the society. If anything the military's complete annihilation of individuality and emphasis on the group would suggest that integrating openly gay individuals would be no different than integrating someone who is left handed.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 06-06-11 at 11:36 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #7
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Officials: Half of force trained on gay ban repeal

    Anybody who is truly incapable of maintaining discipline with THE GAYS serving openly instead of hidden is someone we don't need in the military anyway. It's America's armed forces. We expect the best.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: Officials: Half of force trained on gay ban repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Anybody who is truly incapable of maintaining discipline with THE GAYS serving openly instead of hidden is someone we don't need in the military anyway. It's America's armed forces. We expect the best.
    A homosexual could never be the best in any capacity except doing homosexual stuff. It's in the Bible.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    Re: Officials: Half of force trained on gay ban repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Why were you hoping it wasn't going to do something that nobody other than people with reservations - and by that I really mean clearcut homophobia - about homosexuality thought it was going to do? This is what is most perplexing about the supporters of DADT or similar policies. What exatcly did you think was going to happen? Sociologists have been explaining for years that military culture as neantherthal as it may seem in its customs to outsiders, is really not much different from the rest of the society. If anything the military's complete annihilation of individuality and emphasis on the group would suggest that integrating openly gay individuals would be no different than integrating someone who is left handed.
    Shouldn't assume, Hat.

    I refrained from commenting much on ending DADT when it was a big topic of discussion here a little while back, because I was denied military service due to a hearing problem. The only thing I said about it was, that I hoped they handled this transition carefully and made sure it wasn't going to affect military readiness... a concern that many veterans here had expressed. When I say I'm glad things are going OK so far, and I hope it stays that way.... I meant exactly, precisely, what I actually said.

    It's called honesty.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #10
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: Officials: Half of force trained on gay ban repeal

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You do understand that the overwhelming majority of people, that includes the military - simply aren't the biggoted homophobic hill billies you seem bent on portraying them as correct? If the military didn't fall apart over race, it won't fall apart over sexual preference. I'll bet anything on it.
    So, how were you in the service?

Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •