Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 62

Thread: War on drugs a bust: commission

  1. #31
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,402

    Re: War on drugs a bust: commission

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan View Post
    Sorry, you still fail to deliver. Marijuana is not physically addictive. Of all the polls done, the majority of marijuana smokers are people who smoke it a few times a month and that's it. Daily marijuana smokers are in extremely low numbers and that's been proven time and time again. Nicotine = physically addictive = requiring more cigarettes = more chance for a mutation in DNA = more chance for cancer. Cannabis = not physically addictive, smoken very moderately by the majority of users, and the amount of benzopyrene is pretty negligible, once again considering cigarettes are smoken in much huger quantities and more frequently due to the physical addiction.

    Marijuana is psychologically addictive because of the THC.

    There's a delivery for ya. It's also 5 times more cancer causing than tobacco. Another delivery.

  2. #32
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: War on drugs a bust: commission

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Marijuana is psychologically addictive because of the THC.

    There's a delivery for ya. It's also 5 times more cancer causing than tobacco. Another delivery.
    Psychologically addictive occurs with anything, up to an including porn addictions, overeating, game addiction, and even gambling. There are no withdrawal symptoms with marijuana, therefore it is not physically addictive, like nicotine or heroin.

    Alright, but you didn't answer any of my post about how tobacco is used in greater quantity and therefore it counteracts the whole "5x more cancer causing" bull****. Please refer back to that part of my post. Really sick of people picking and choosing what parts of my arguments to, well, argue.

  3. #33
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,402

    Re: War on drugs a bust: commission

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan View Post
    Psychologically addictive occurs with anything, up to an including porn addictions, overeating, game addiction, and even gambling. There are no withdrawal symptoms with marijuana, therefore it is not physically addictive, like nicotine or heroin.
    Well, that's not true, either.

    Well, that's not true, either.

    Marijuana Withdrawal Syndrome | Brain Blogger

    Alright, but you didn't answer any of my post about how tobacco is used in greater quantity and therefore it counteracts the whole "5x more cancer causing" bull****. Please refer back to that part of my post. Really sick of people picking and choosing what parts of my arguments to, well, argue.

    A person can smoke cigarettes without getting all ****ed up, therefore they are going to smoke more. Obviously, they're not going to smoke 20 joints a day.

  4. #34
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: War on drugs a bust: commission

    No man, that's wrong. A person does not smoke more cigarettes because they know they won't get more ****ed up. It's a nicotine addiction, plain and simple. You can take two bong hits and be high for 2-3 hours and then that's it. Tobacco smokers have a PHYSICAL CRAVING for nicotine, and if they do not get it, their withdrawl symptoms get very ugly.

    That is a test conducted in mice and dogs who were exposed to extremely large amounts. That's like the studies the US gov did in the 60s on Rhesus monkeys by pretty much drowning them in marijuana smoke for months.

    As for the testimonies, those are in no way credible, and even if you wanted to make them credible, note that the people who answered smoked on a very consistent basis. Smoking once a day is not good for you in any way and if doing it prolonged, it will cause issues, just like any other drug. As for marijuana, the issues that can be caused are extremely lower than that of Alcohol and Tobacco, and you simply cannot argue that. Every recent medical study (including this one) has listed tobacco and alcohol as much more dangerous than Marijuana. Infact, off the topic of marijuana, alcohol has been put on top of coke in many studies as well.

    As for your 5 x worse thing, I seem to have missed that. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...7/?tool=pubmed

    HAS NOT BEEN CASUALLY LINKED WITH LUNG CANCER hmm.. what else.. how about A connection between marijuana smoking and lung or colorectal cancer was not observed. Or better yet this:
    Furthermore, compounds found in cannabis have been shown to kill numerous cancer types including: lung cancer [9], breast and prostate [10], leukemia and lymphoma [11], glioma [12], skin cancer [13], and pheochromocytoma [14]. The effects of cannabinoids are complex and sometimes contradicting, often exhibiting biphasic responses.

    It seems your claims have just been sent out the window. Disclaimer though.. a lot of the stuff in the report is over the head of anyone who hasn't taken college level biology, sorry about that.
    Last edited by Gargantuan; 06-03-11 at 11:29 PM.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    06-05-11 @ 05:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    117

    Re: War on drugs a bust: commission

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Marijuana is indeed a dangerous drug. Benzopyrene is not your friend, nor do your lungs appreciate it.
    Coffee has benzopyrene, and much more of based upon comparative consumption. Should the Mexican cartel take over the coffee bean market too? Any one want to buy a kilo of Organic Arabica?

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    06-05-11 @ 05:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    117

    Re: War on drugs a bust: commission

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's also 5 times more cancer causing than tobacco. Another delivery.
    Even if this were true, the average pot smoker smokes less the 20 time the equivalent in tobacco. That pretty much takes care of that nonsense.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    06-05-11 @ 05:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    117

    Re: War on drugs a bust: commission

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    But, what evidence is there that the war on drugs isn't working? IOW, how much worse might it be, without drug enforcement?
    1. People still do drugs.
    2. We have empirical non-criminal models in other countries that have proven to be more effective for drug users and cheaper on the tax payers.

  8. #38
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: War on drugs a bust: commission

    Quote Originally Posted by empireofreason View Post
    1. People still do drugs.
    2. We have empirical non-criminal models in other countries that have proven to be more effective for drug users and cheaper on the tax payers.
    Not just that people still do drugs, but the point is that drug use has gone up. Marijuana by 8% I believe, coke by 35%, and heroin somewhere in the 20s. This is since the 90s. That was referenced in the study.

  9. #39
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: War on drugs a bust: commission

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    War on drugs a bust: commission - World - CBC News



    You can find a link to the full report on the CBC website.

    This is big news on the international policy level. I am not at all surprised that American news sources are not talking about it (a co-worker forwarded it to me). The war on drugs has been a colossal waste mainly instigated and supported by private business interests.

    It's time to end the cycle of social destruction and bring back freedom to people's lives. Spain and Portugal have both legalized small possession of all drugs and their drug use rate has been dropping like a stone. You give people agency and transparency, and they use it. What a shocker.

    At the same time, keep targeting the drug lords who are bringing violence and destruction to our society. The best way to do that is to greatly reduce their black market.

    The solution has been obvious for decades now but it is now reaching a cresendo. I expect this report to be buried because it speaks the truth, but I thought it was worth bringing up so that people know there is GLOBAL recognition that the UN drug policy (mainly a carbon copy of the U.S. DEA policy) has been a dismal failure with dire consequences.
    It's about time a commission with some global juice says out loud what I've been saying for decades. Prohibition never works, it just fuels crime syndicates to supply what the public demands. Education, not prohibition, is the way to go. Make drugs legal, regulate them, tax them, use the tax money to fund increased rehabilitation and education. Our prisons and courtrooms would empty out immediately, and law enforcement would be free to go after real criminals, the kind that hurt other people, not just themselves.

    The government has to learn eventually that it cannot control what people choose to do to their own adult bodies. This is a big step. Eventually, the US government will have to acknowledge this failure... although I don't hold much hope that government will actually learn from its own mistakes. It rarely does.
    Last edited by DiAnna; 06-04-11 at 01:00 AM.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    06-05-11 @ 05:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    117

    Re: War on drugs a bust: commission

    Thanks for making tha point clearer.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •