Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 287

Thread: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

  1. #81
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    What is amazing to me is that there are people on this thread - you all know who you are, and if you don't, we do - who immediately equate poverty with drug abuse.
    From were I come from poverty means alcohol and drug abuse in many cases. No one here is speaking in absolutes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    That is absurd. In Florida, 20.8% of people over 50 years old live below poverty.
    Most of those are not receiving welfare. You are equating being poor with automatically receiving welfare.

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Some posters on this thread assume that the majority of those people are drug addicts. In Florida over 12% of the population of the people over 50 years old are unemployed. Of course that number does not include the people who have simply quit looking for work. Some posters here naively believe that anyone can work who want to work. Some posters here apparently believe that people over the age of 50 can easily find a job if they only wanted to work.
    You are making bad assumptions based on your own prejudice. This leads to a flawed conclusion I have already covered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    As often happens conservatives are either uninterested in facts or unable to understand them. Only "elitists" are interested in statistics. Most people who receive public assistance are not drug abusers. I would challenge Conservative to pony up with the facts to base her assertions.
    Then most people would not have to worry, now would they?
    Last edited by Black Dog; 06-02-11 at 01:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #82
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    My concern is that in the Obamation economy the number of people in need of help is astronomical and the tests will only add to cost problem that is already too high.

    In the past year, some states have seen increases of 15% or more in their welfare caseloads, including Florida, Ohio, Oregon and Washington.
    And that is fine. Allot of unemployed are not using drugs and will have no problem. Most of them even if they did use would stay clean to find a job anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #83
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,820

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    My concern is that in the Obamation economy the number of people in need of help is astronomical and the tests will only add to cost problem that is already too high.

    In the past year, some states have seen increases of 15% or more in their welfare caseloads, including Florida, Ohio, Oregon and Washington.
    Precisely. The vast majority of Americans want to work. It is part of our culture and heritage. More so that any other nation on earth, Americans place great importance on where a person works and what a person does at his/her place of employment. In the U.S. the social stigma of not working is huge. The assumption that with a real unemployment rate of well over 10% and God know how many underemployed in America that the majority of these people are drug addicts and lazy is stupid and childish. It would be damn near impossible to test these unfortunates every time before they got a support check or food stamps. It would also be demoralizing and unwarranted for a significant majority of them.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  4. #84
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    In some ways, this would have seemed a no-brainer. While it got some political challenges, it seems headed for Constitutional muster as well.



    I would like to think that this shoul dbe common-sense policy nationwide for anyone on any government assistance, to include those getting a government paycheck of any sort.

    Constitutional claims or not, I think this one hard to oppose politically. Of course, I am for the legalization of all drugs, with conditions, but would still want drug testing mandated regardless.
    I don't know if I'd call it "common sense" as much as unnecessary nanny state government interference in the lives of its citizens whom have not been charged with crimes. I'd rather keep this sort of big brother watching out of the hands of government.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #85
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Precisely. The vast majority of Americans want to work. It is part of our culture and heritage. More so that any other nation on earth, Americans place great importance on where a person works and what a person does at his/her place of employment. In the U.S. the social stigma of not working is huge. The assumption that with a real unemployment rate of well over 10% and God know how many underemployed in America that the majority of these people are drug addicts and lazy is stupid and childish. It would be damn near impossible to test these unfortunates every time before they got a support check or food stamps. It would also be demoralizing and unwarranted for a significant majority of them.
    Well if worst case scenario's were the norm we mite have an issue. The truth often lies someplace in the middle.

    So all "ifs" aside whats done is done, and the proof will be in the pudding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #86
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    And that is fine. Allot of unemployed are not using drugs and will have no problem. Most of them even if they did use would stay clean to find a job anyway.
    Is this the "if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about" argument? The one which pretty much gives away that what is being called for is unnecessary and constitutes dangerous growth in government and its powers? Hmmm, interensting.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #87
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Is this the "if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about" argument? The one which pretty much gives away that what is being called for is unnecessary and constitutes dangerous growth in government and its powers? Hmmm, interensting.
    No it's a common sense in this case. To go into the military you get drug tested. To get most jobs worth having you get drug tested. Why should government welfare be any different?

    Forgot to mention every government job requires drug testing. Police, fire, municipal etc. Why does welfare get a pass?
    Last edited by Black Dog; 06-02-11 at 02:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #88
    Professor
    Bigfoot 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    12-01-15 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    This is a great law!

    Why should taxpayers support counter-productive pot heads?
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." -Thomas Sowell

  9. #89
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No it's a common sense in this case. To go into the military you get drug tested. To get most jobs worth having you get drug tested. Why should government welfare be any different?

    Forgot to mention every government job requires drug testing. Police, fire, municipal etc. Why does welfare get a pass?
    Because it's government granted assistance. It's not a job you're doing. You're not applying for a position. I'd like to keep constant monitoring of the People by the government to the smallest value possible.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #90
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    This is a great law!

    Why should taxpayers support counter-productive pot heads?
    Because time and effort can be best spent elsewhere.

    I wonder what the results of a drug test on all of Congress would produce.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •