Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 287

Thread: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

  1. #11
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,820

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    I see zero rational support in your argument. No work is performed for this welfare. Its free if you ask for it, and then qualify. Don't do drugs, and you can get free stuff paid for by those who earn their money.

    It is that simple.
    No it is isn't that simple and it isn't free. Your erroneous assumption is that poor people are somehow less than equal to you because you work. Most people who need welfare worked before your idols on Wall Street took every dream they had. Most of these people PAID taxes and PAID into the system. It isn't free. Many of those people are veterans. Tell me they didn't pay it forward. Don't give us that holier than thou malarkey. And don't tell me the people who need welfare assistance don't want to work. Most would love having a good job. The entire idea of forcing these Americans to take drug tests because they need assistance is outrageous and shameful and wrong.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-11 @ 10:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    If you take the King's Coin...you are subject to the King's Laws.

    And his Law says you have to be sober to acquire (for free) the tax money of working citizens.

    I don't see the problem.

  3. #13
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,820

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by In Vino Veritas View Post
    If you take the King's Coin...you are subject to the King's Laws.

    And his Law says you have to be sober to acquire (for free) the tax money of working citizens.

    I don't see the problem.
    You obviously have no idea that the United States is not a monarchy. We don't have a king. The U.S. government doesn't earn money. It receives money from taxes which come from the People. The money which the government doles out comes from the people, not from a king.

    God, where do these people come from?










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  4. #14
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    It's social engineering. Social engineering, isn't that a conservative term? Interesting that you have a conservative governor imposing social engineering on citizens. The logistics would be difficult and costly as hell. The idea is also discriminatory against poor people. If it is applied it should then be applied fairly and therefore all employees of any business that receives state money should also be drug tested including corporate officers, boards of directors, and lobbyists. Make it just.

    If the point is that state money may finance drug abuse then any and all state money may finance drug abuse. Test anyone who receives money from the state or test no one that receives money from the state. That also includes state legislature and staff. I don't see that offing happening, do you?

    The proposed Florida law is just another attempt to separate the wealthy and powerful from everyone else, class warfare.
    I wouldn't call it class warfare, but it is doing something that punishes the children.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #15
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    I don't know what is worse, the fact that this law will increase the needless suffering of many Floridians, or that I am in a position to profit off it immensely given the career I have chosen. This must be what it feels like to be a Republican politician.

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    As far as I am concerned. Good. I don't mind pissing in front of someone, do it all the time in a public restroom. It really is simple. Do drugs, don't eat. Don't do drugs and eat. Personally I'd rather eat. But hey...thats just me.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #17
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I don't know what is worse, the fact that this law will increase the needless suffering of many Floridians, or that I am in a position to profit off it immensely given the career I have chosen. This must be what it feels like to be a Republican politician.
    Having to prove you are not drug involved to receive welfare benefits will increase needless suffering? Are you serious? Many employers in Florida require a drug screen as a condition of employment. So welfare recipients should have no conditions regarding moral turpitude?
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  8. #18
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    Having to prove you are not drug involved to receive welfare benefits will increase needless suffering? Are you serious? Many employers in Florida require a drug screen as a condition of employment. So welfare recipients should have no conditions regarding moral turpitude?
    It's simple logic. You take the poorest group of people who at the same time are addicted to drugs and you take the money away that they have been using to support their habit. Do you think they are magically going to be cured of their drug habits? Do you think that they are just going to be able to up and quit? These are not people who can afford treatment. These are people who will likely steal, prostitute, gamble, or whatever it takes to get their fix. They are going to end up in prison where the tax payers will end up paying a lot more. Heck, the drug tests aren't free either. That will cost tax payers quite substantially as well.

    You really think you are morally superior to these people? A lot of these people live very crappy lives and drugs are about the only escape they have. Most started well before they were even adults and have been addicted for years. All these kinds of laws do is take them off the streets and put them in prison on the tax payer's dime. If you were born in their circumstances, you would likely have turned out the same way.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 06-02-11 at 12:22 AM.

  9. #19
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    No it is isn't that simple and it isn't free. Your erroneous assumption is that poor people are somehow less than equal to you because you work. Most people who need welfare worked before your idols on Wall Street took every dream they had. Most of these people PAID taxes and PAID into the system. It isn't free. Many of those people are veterans. Tell me they didn't pay it forward. Don't give us that holier than thou malarkey. And don't tell me the people who need welfare assistance don't want to work. Most would love having a good job. The entire idea of forcing these Americans to take drug tests because they need assistance is outrageous and shameful and wrong.
    What have you been smoking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-11 @ 10:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    You obviously have no idea that the United States is not a monarchy. We don't have a king. The U.S. government doesn't earn money. It receives money from taxes which come from the People. The money which the government doles out comes from the people, not from a king.

    God, where do these people come from?
    It's just a saying, Rusty Trombone...good grief.

    It's also a book by Thomas James Bass.

    Do you understand the meaning?

    The U.S. Government doesn't "recieve" money...it confiscates it.

    And it does not do so from "The People", it does so from some people. In fact, less than half of the citizens.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •