Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 287

Thread: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

  1. #161
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    As I am a proponent of legalization of all, then such as me usually favor treatment over incarceration. I do, but recognize that implementation of such will be by small steps, and take time.

    However, your argument still lacks any fundamental merit, and there is no "simple logic" to it. You base it on a completely unsupported distinction that those druggies who get free money from government are somehow less of a problem to themselves, and the rest of us, than those who do not get free money. That implies some discipline from them regarding free stuff and their habit. There is no such expectation. They will take and abuse to the fullest extent possible, for if they had adequate self-control, they would not be targets here. Your "simple logic" is 100% folly IMMHO.
    I never suggested that drug abusers who are on welfare are any less of a problem for themselves or others than drug abusers who are not on welfare. Of course you can't see the logic of my argument if you interject things I never said.

  2. #162
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    My take on this issue is if my husband and I are both required to be drug tested at least once a year to get money from the government, then so should welfare recipients. Especially in my own case where I am in the Navy reserve which means most of my money comes from showing up and ensuring paperwork is good to go for me one weekend a month and doing actual work for about 3-4 consecutive weeks once a year. Don't get me wrong, I don't use drugs and don't really have a problem with being drug tested randomly (and the Navy definitely observes, unlike the civilian test I had where I got to close the door and was just told not to run any water or flush the toilet), but it does seem kind of unfair that we have to be drug tested to receive money to perform work for the government, but those who receive money from the government as assistance, don't.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I never suggested that drug abusers who are on welfare are any less of a problem for themselves or others than drug abusers who are not on welfare. Of course you can't see the logic of my argument if you interject things I never said.
    Never said you did. This is what I responded to:

    It's simple logic. You take the poorest group of people who at the same time are addicted to drugs and you take the money away that they have been using to support their habit. Do you think they are magically going to be cured of their drug habits? Do you think that they are just going to be able to up and quit?
    Your "simple logic" does not matter with regard to being an argument against this new procedure here in Florida. I am not saying that the druggie gets better or worse. I am saying it is irrelevant, and that a part of the process is to eliminate the druggie from the loop of government help hopefully flowing to the druggie's dependents.

  4. #164
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    The governor, his staff, the lady in the courthouse cafeteria, the attorney general, his aides and staff, the mayors, the county and municipal workers also live on my tax dollar. Piss test them too.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  5. #165
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    The governor, his staff, the lady in the courthouse cafeteria, the attorney general, his aides and staff, the mayors, the county and municipal workers also live on my tax dollar. Piss test them too.
    I agree with this too. In fact, I think all government personnel, including those elected to office should be required to be drug tested as well.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Decriminalized means that you aren't sent to prison for doing it, it doesn't mean that it is legal to do it.

    For example, speeding is decriminalized. It isn't legal to speed, but you can be fined for speeding.
    I hate to tell you bro, but you're wrong. If something is decriminalized, it is legal.

    WordNet Search - 3.1

    (legislation that makes something legal that was formerly illegal)

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Way to cheapen the true horror of slavery.
    Being forced to work without pay is slavery. Being tossed into solitary confinement or facing retribution for not working is also slavery. I don't care if they're inmates or not. A lot of prisons don't pay their inmates for the work they do, it's just made to seem like it's part of the penance.

  8. #168
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    Time for the Slobs sucking the Democrat provided Social Teet in Florida........

    .......... to get a job......or start buying their own smack.......hopefully both.
    .
    .
    .
    What an educated and informed response! What jobs should the unemployed Floridians "get"?










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  9. #169
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    My take on this issue is if my husband and I are both required to be drug tested at least once a year to get money from the government, then so should welfare recipients. Especially in my own case where I am in the Navy reserve which means most of my money comes from showing up and ensuring paperwork is good to go for me one weekend a month and doing actual work for about 3-4 consecutive weeks once a year. Don't get me wrong, I don't use drugs and don't really have a problem with being drug tested randomly (and the Navy definitely observes, unlike the civilian test I had where I got to close the door and was just told not to run any water or flush the toilet), but it does seem kind of unfair that we have to be drug tested to receive money to perform work for the government, but those who receive money from the government as assistance, don't.
    Ma'am, you in my humble opinion are different than most Americans. You have chosen to serve your country. The vast majority of Americans have not. Most Americans won't make that sacrifice, wouldn't raise their right hands and couldn't pass the security clearance. You are not like most Americans. You represent the very best this country has to offer. Many chose to wave the flag, but you have chosen to carry it and to serve under it. You have a taste for freedom that the protected will never know.

    You had to be vetted to serve and you must be vetted to continue to serve. Your Congressman and women and their staff do NOT take the drug tests you are required to take.

    People who now require public assistance do not require a security clearance. They do not serve in the ARMED Forces. They cannot be deployed. They will not be asked to die for their nation. You volunteered. They didn't. You're responsible to a nation. They are trying to stay healthy and alive.

    So we have people who haven't done jack for America demanding that veterans in dire straits shut the hell up and stop asking for assistance. There's something wrong with that.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  10. #170
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    The governor, his staff, the lady in the courthouse cafeteria, the attorney general, his aides and staff, the mayors, the county and municipal workers also live on my tax dollar. Piss test them too.
    I may have heard wrong but I think all government workers are required to take a drug test now. Urine test are very expensive compared to cotton swab test. I think what they could do is find a middle ground and randomly test people for drug use. If one area tends to get a higher percentage of drug use coming through, step up the frequency of the random drug cotton swab test in that area. This to me seems likely a more financially effective of enforcing this law and is much less humiliating.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •