Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 287

Thread: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

  1. #151
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Decriminalized means that you aren't sent to prison for doing it, it doesn't mean that it is legal to do it.

    For example, speeding is decriminalized. It isn't legal to speed, but you can be fined for speeding.

    Wrong, traffic tickets are actually misdemeanors. The lowest level misdemeanor there is, but still. Don't believe me? Try not paying one.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  2. #152
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Huh? What does drug testing have to do with racism?
    What does it have to do with slavery?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  3. #153
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Thank you for stating the obvious.
    No worries, I know how the obvious eludes you sometimes.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  4. #154
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Wrong, traffic tickets are actually misdemeanors. The lowest level misdemeanor there is, but still. Don't believe me? Try not paying one.
    In a literal sense, decriminalization means that it is illegal but that the law is not strictly enforced. I prefer to just reduce the penalties down to fines and taxes.

  5. #155
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    What does it have to do with slavery?
    Nothing. We were talking about the prison system.

  6. #156
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Nothing. We were talking about the prison system.
    What does that have to do with slavery?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  7. #157
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    In a literal sense, decriminalization means that it is illegal but that the law is not strictly enforced. I prefer to just reduce the penalties down to fines and taxes.
    So, you think peddling drugs should be nothing more than a traffic ticket.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  8. #158
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Because time and effort can be best spent elsewhere.

    I wonder what the results of a drug test on all of Congress would produce.
    The results probably wouldn't look good for this guy.


    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  9. #159
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    So, you think peddling drugs should be nothing more than a traffic ticket.
    Yes. With exceptions of course. Peddling drugs to children should still be a felony.

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    It's simple logic. You take the poorest group of people who at the same time are addicted to drugs and you take the money away that they have been using to support their habit. Do you think they are magically going to be cured of their drug habits? Do you think that they are just going to be able to up and quit? These are not people who can afford treatment. These are people who will likely steal, prostitute, gamble, or whatever it takes to get their fix. They are going to end up in prison where the tax payers will end up paying a lot more. Heck, the drug tests aren't free either. That will cost tax payers quite substantially as well.

    It would be better to offer substance abuse treatment if they are going to test them.
    As I am a proponent of legalization of all, then such as me usually favor treatment over incarceration. I do, but recognize that implementation of such will be by small steps, and take time.

    However, your argument still lacks any fundamental merit, and there is no "simple logic" to it. You base it on a completely unsupported distinction that those druggies who get free money from government are somehow less of a problem to themselves, and the rest of us, than those who do not get free money. That implies some discipline from them regarding free stuff and their habit. There is no such expectation. They will take and abuse to the fullest extent possible, for if they had adequate self-control, they would not be targets here. Your "simple logic" is 100% folly IMMHO.

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •