Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 253

Thread: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

  1. #51
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

    I'm fine with ending it for able body adults.
    Don't know if I think it's right for those that have sever disabilities, that truly prevent them from working.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #52
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,924

    Re: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Maybe you do...but I dont know if you get it. Many of these people mass reproduce not because they arent smart enough to know what causes babies or because they cant get birth control, but because they see having babies as a salve to their pathetic lives. Men impregnate as many women as they can so they can demonstrate their much man status (so WHAT if they dont have a job...or half their teeth). Women have their little babies to show how valid they are as women...who CARES if they dont really know who the father is or cant independently provide for any of them.

    This isnt a platform for or against abortions and using it as such is ridiculous.
    Did I use the word, abortion? No, I did not.

    As to what I did say, the fact, again, is that millions of women and men us Planned Parenthood to obtain low cost birth control. Eliminate PP, you eliminate their access to that source and it is not illogical to believe we will see an increase in unintended pregnancies. It costs taxpayers more to raise children than it does to provide low cost birth control.

  3. #53
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,924

    Re: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    who said anything about abortions? would it hurt poor people to wear a ****ing condom or take the pill? they hand out condoms for free and you can get the pill at the "free clinic". there is no excuse for these people to keep pumping out kids like litters of kittens and then expecting the productive population to support them.
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    so what if they're not free. make a freaking choice. give up a pack of smokes or a case of beer each month and you can afford to buy condoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    both.


    no reversal. they are available for free, but if...GASP...the well dries up, they are still cheaper than a pack of smokes or a case of beer.
    You said because birth control is free, there is no excuse, then I presented you with evidence that there will be less access to free birth control because the GOP is shutting down Planned Parenthood.

    You changed your argument, "so what if it isn't free", thus eliminating your first point.

  4. #54
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    I have a friend who had polio as a child. He uses a wheelchair. Bright guy and likable. He has had to claw his way to meaningful employment all his life. Disabled people are never likely to get the good jobs, if they get any job. They are usually underemployed. Disabled people are often the first to be let go. Usually it is because they have the crap jobs that are the first jobs to go in a cut back. As they downsized two years ago they cut him to half time. No benefits. They cut his hours again. He doesn't want anyone to know but he is now receiving food stamps. He no longer has health insurance. If they cut his food stamps he'll have to eat fewer meals. The state recently agree to set aside half a billion dollars to attract new business by offering corporate welfare.
    What have you done to help him?

    .

  5. #55
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

    Let's go ahead and address some of the stupid arguments that have been laid down in this thread:

    1. "The state can't afford this." - Food is a necessity. The state is nothing more than a collection of people, who are going to pay for the cost of food one way or another, NO MATTER WHAT. Just because the expense disappears from the state's balance sheet doesn't make it go away.

    2. "ZOMG personal responsibility!" - Most of the recipients of food stamps are children, disabled people, elderly people, people who are temporarily unemployed, or people who are employed but don't earn enough to make ends meet. People who choose not to work are a small fraction. This is especially true now, given the current state of the economy. Look around you. With unemployment at 8.7%, the problem is NOT that there aren't enough people who want to work to fill the available jobs...it's that there aren't enough available jobs for the people who want to work.

    3. "Let's let children die to teach their parents a lesson about opening their legs." - We'll go right past the fact that the people who believe this are disgusting sociopaths, or that it isn't the kid's fault, because I know that pointing that out won't convince them of anything. So let's instead look at it from an economic perspective. By any measure, a child is an enormous burden on the parent for at least the first 18 years of their life...food stamps or not. Slightly increasing the cost of raising the kid would have a negligible impact on a person's decision to have a kid or not.

    4. "This will encourage people to work." - Only for the few people who choose not to work, and there aren't that many of them. For everyone else, it will create a whole host of macroeconomic problems and individual hardships. If you take food away from kids, they'll be less likely to do well in school and therefore less likely to be successful when they grow up. If you take food away from the elderly, then people suddenly become more risk-averse and therefore the dynamism of the economy suffers. If you take food away from the working poor, you merely make it even more difficult for them to improve their situation by forcing them to work more hours (time which could be spent acquiring skills/education).
    Last edited by Kandahar; 06-01-11 at 06:43 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #56
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Let's go ahead and address some of the stupid arguments that have been laid down in this thread:

    1. "The state can't afford this." - Food is a necessity. The state is nothing more than a collection of people, who are going to pay for the cost of food one way or another, NO MATTER WHAT. Just because the expense disappears from the state's balance sheet doesn't make it go away.

    2. "ZOMG personal responsibility!" - Most of the recipients of food stamps are children, disabled people, elderly people, people who are temporarily unemployed, or people who are employed but don't earn enough to make ends meet. People who choose not to work are a small fraction. This is especially true now, given the current state of the economy. Look around you. With unemployment at 8.7%, the problem is NOT that there aren't enough people who want to work to fill the available jobs...it's that there aren't enough available jobs for the people who want to work.

    3. "Let's let children die to teach their parents a lesson about opening their legs." - We'll go right past the fact that the people who believe this are disgusting sociopaths, or that it isn't the kid's fault, because I know that pointing that out won't convince them of anything. So let's instead look at it from an economic perspective. By any measure, a child is an enormous burden on the parent for at least the first 18 years of their life...food stamps or not. Slightly increasing the cost of raising the kid would have a negligible impact on a person's decision to have a kid or not.

    4. "This will encourage people to work." - Only for the few people who choose not to work, and there aren't that many of them. For everyone else, it will create a whole host of macroeconomic problems and individual hardships. If you take food away from kids, they'll be less likely to do well in school and therefore less likely to be successful when they grow up. If you take food away from the elderly, then people suddenly become more risk-averse and therefore the dynamism of the economy suffers. If you take food away from the working poor, you merely make it even more difficult for them to improve their situation by forcing them to work more hours (time which could be spent acquiring skills/education).
    So suggesting that adults should engage in personal responsibility is a stupid argument? Wow, you really are a liberal...

  7. #57
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

    [QUOTE=Kandahar;1059532037]Let's go ahead and address some of the stupid arguments that have been laid down in this thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    1. "The state can't afford this." - Food is a necessity. The state is nothing more than a collection of people, who are going to pay for the cost of food one way or another, NO MATTER WHAT. Just because the expense disappears from the state's balance sheet doesn't make it go away.
    By this convoluted Logic, the State should "pay" for everything, since after all, it doesn't matter how it gets paid right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    2. "ZOMG personal responsibility!" - Most of the recipients of food stamps are children, disabled people, elderly people, people who are temporarily unemployed, or people who are employed but don't earn enough to make ends meet. People who choose not to work are a small fraction. This is especially true now, given the current state of the economy. Look around you. With unemployment at 8.7%, the problem is NOT that there aren't enough people who want to work to fill the available jobs...it's that there aren't enough available jobs for the people who want to work.
    Always, we must spend for "the Children". Doesn't matter if there is fraud, waste, abuse or just plain "We're going broke", if one child, doesn't get his dessert, a crime that could have been prevented has occurred, if only we CARED more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    3. "Let's let children die to teach their parents a lesson about opening their legs." - We'll go right past the fact that the people who believe this are disgusting sociopaths, or that it isn't the kid's fault, because I know that pointing that out won't convince them of anything. So let's instead look at it from an economic perspective. By any measure, a child is an enormous burden on the parent for at least the first 18 years of their life...food stamps or not. Slightly increasing the cost of raising the kid would have a negligible impact on a person's decision to have a kid or not.
    More "For the Children" heart string non-sense. If you pay people to have kids, guess what...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    4. "This will encourage people to work." - Only for the few people who choose not to work, and there aren't that many of them. For everyone else, it will create a whole host of macroeconomic problems and individual hardships. If you take food away from kids, they'll be less likely to do well in school and therefore less likely to be successful when they grow up. If you take food away from the elderly, then people suddenly become more risk-averse and therefore the dynamism of the economy suffers. If you take food away from the working poor, you merely make it even more difficult for them to improve their situation by forcing them to work more hours (time which could be spent acquiring skills/education).
    You cannot expect poor people to actually "work", that's unfair, what about the rich kid who drives a Benz on his 16th birthday, how is THAT fair???????

    Remember folks, think of "the Children" and don't forget to Vote Democrat, or a kid might not get his bowl of fruit loops in the morning.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #58
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Let's go ahead and address some of the stupid arguments that have been laid down in this thread:

    1. "The state can't afford this." - Food is a necessity. The state is nothing more than a collection of people, who are going to pay for the cost of food one way or another, NO MATTER WHAT. Just because the expense disappears from the state's balance sheet doesn't make it go away.

    2. "ZOMG personal responsibility!" - Most of the recipients of food stamps are children, disabled people, elderly people, people who are temporarily unemployed, or people who are employed but don't earn enough to make ends meet. People who choose not to work are a small fraction. This is especially true now, given the current state of the economy. Look around you. With unemployment at 8.7%, the problem is NOT that there aren't enough people who want to work to fill the available jobs...it's that there aren't enough available jobs for the people who want to work.

    3. "Let's let children die to teach their parents a lesson about opening their legs." - We'll go right past the fact that the people who believe this are disgusting sociopaths, or that it isn't the kid's fault, because I know that pointing that out won't convince them of anything. So let's instead look at it from an economic perspective. By any measure, a child is an enormous burden on the parent for at least the first 18 years of their life...food stamps or not. Slightly increasing the cost of raising the kid would have a negligible impact on a person's decision to have a kid or not.

    4. "This will encourage people to work." - Only for the few people who choose not to work, and there aren't that many of them. For everyone else, it will create a whole host of macroeconomic problems and individual hardships. If you take food away from kids, they'll be less likely to do well in school and therefore less likely to be successful when they grow up. If you take food away from the elderly, then people suddenly become more risk-averse and therefore the dynamism of the economy suffers. If you take food away from the working poor, you merely make it even more difficult for them to improve their situation by forcing them to work more hours (time which could be spent acquiring skills/education).
    When someone starts with the "children" ****, I ignore them. I'm ignoring you, and so are many others I have no doubt. Let me tell you something, I have children. I have 3 of them, and I raised them. You want to tell me I hate children??? You got the balls to say it to me and mean it? I am sick and tired of liberals using children as human shields for their socialist agenda.
    Last edited by American; 06-01-11 at 07:47 PM.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #59
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    By this convoluted Logic, the State should "pay" for everything, since after all, it doesn't matter how it gets paid right?
    No. Food is a necessity, and people will pay for it one way or another, regardless of whether it's on the state's books or not. So saying that a state (i.e. the people) "can't afford it" is meaningless, because ultimately society does not have a choice but to pay for it one way or another. On the other hand, an Xbox 360 is NOT a necessity, and if the state doesn't buy you one there's a good chance you won't buy one for yourself. And if you don't get an Xbox 360, you won't be "paying" for it in other ways (like you would if you don't get food).

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio
    Always, we must spend for "the Children". Doesn't matter if there is fraud, waste, abuse or just plain "We're going broke", if one child, doesn't get his dessert, a crime that could have been prevented has occurred, if only we CARED more.

    More "For the Children" heart string non-sense. If you pay people to have kids, guess what...

    You cannot expect poor people to actually "work", that's unfair, what about the rich kid who drives a Benz on his 16th birthday, how is THAT fair???????

    Remember folks, think of "the Children" and don't forget to Vote Democrat, or a kid might not get his bowl of fruit loops in the morning.
    I knew that you'd just respond with talking points, rather than anything resembling a coherent argument refuting anything I said. That's OK. Our arguments can speak for themselves.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 06-01-11 at 07:50 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #60
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    No. Food is a necessity, and people will pay for it one way or another, regardless of whether it's on the state's books or not. So saying that a state (i.e. the people) "can't afford it" is meaningless, because ultimately society does not have a choice but to pay for it one way or another. On the other hand, an Xbox 360 is NOT a necessity, and if the state doesn't buy you one there's a good chance you won't buy one for yourself. And if you don't get an Xbox 360, you won't be "paying" for it in other ways (like you would with a lack of food).
    Power, Water, Housing, Fuel. Necessaries. The State should pay for them then yes?


    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I knew that you'd just respond with talking points, rather than anything resembling a coherent argument refuting anything I said. That's OK. Our arguments can speak for themselves.
    Your argument is "For the Children".

    That's it, no matter what embellishments you layer, the final point is always the same;

    We cannot cut back, cut or reduce this entitlement program, because "the children" might suffer.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •