Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 253

Thread: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

  1. #131
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Last year I donated about $15,000 to charities that work to eradicate malaria in Sub-Saharan Africa. I'm also in the process of starting my own non-profit charity to provide free online education to underprivileged children in failing schools in the United States (and perhaps eventually to children in developing countries as well). I do this in addition to working a full-time job.

    What do you do again?
    I give to the Salvation Army, and help collect food for the local food bank. More importantly, I'm not a proponent of the government taking people's money and giving it to others.....AS YOU ARE.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #132
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,674

    Re: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Yes, post of the week. Except that even successful people who are educated and who have tried are not failing because of laziness or stupidity, but because of terrible economic conditions brought on by decades of corruption (corporate and government). To deny that massive corruption and greed is responsible for this horrible mess we're in is either very dishonest or sadly delusional.
    No doubt...the economy is down. LOTS of factors and the government isnt helping things nor has it for a long long time. You forgot the individual greed that created the housing crisis...the people that bought homes and flipped them for outrageous profits, those that bought homes they could not in any way afford, those that were voluntarily stupid enough to jump into ARMs. Still...there IS work, there ARE jobs, and when we are talking the food stamp crowd I think you would be disengenuous if you suggested that the majority are people OTHER than the chronic 'downtrodden' of society.

  3. #133
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    What about letting people go hungry in the wealthiest country in the world... well, #2 anyway.
    Why don't you ask Kandahar, he's senting $15K to Africa.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I give to the Salvation Army, and help collect food for the local food bank. More importantly, I'm not a proponent of the government taking people's money and giving it to others.....AS YOU ARE.
    Relying on donations would never be enough to ease America's social problems. I think you know that.

    I do believe in people being given the choice but if I were to take your stance seriously, we could apply the same argument to taxation as a whole. Why take your taxes so that your money can be used in programs that you don't support? Or anything for that matter? Every person I know - including myself - has some issue with the way the government spends money. If that were a reason for us all to not pay taxes, then our country would go under.

    Are we a nation state, or are we just 310 million individuals in it for ourselves? I think you know the answer to that one too.

    Mind you, with the way the government is run these days, I wouldn't have a problem if about 100 million people decided all at once one year to not pay their taxes. The reason is that I do not support the corrupt financial institutions and corporate powers which are currently running our country and overstepping our Republic.

  5. #135
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,735

    Re: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Miss Lovejoy, exactly how does AT&T relates to Arizon'a budget being problematic?

    MY GOD WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
    Easy. AT&T not only got away with paying absolutely nothing in the way of taxes, but they got themselves a government handout too. Who is paying for that? We are. How are we paying for it? By starving kids.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #136
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Easy. AT&T not only got away with paying absolutely nothing in the way of taxes, but they got themselves a government handout too. Who is paying for that? We are. How are we paying for it? By starving kids.
    Because folks, only Government can feed children.

    Jobs, in Arizona... PSHAW, jobs are nothing. Government hand outs how you live, where it's at.

    (PS Your lean is still too far to the right, you should just go ahead and be completely honest about who you are, it's okay now... )
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #137
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Relying on donations would never be enough to ease America's social problems. I think you know that.

    I do believe in people being given the choice but if I were to take your stance seriously, we could apply the same argument to taxation as a whole. Why take your taxes so that your money can be used in programs that you don't support? Or anything for that matter? Every person I know - including myself - has some issue with the way the government spends money. If that were a reason for us all to not pay taxes, then our country would go under.

    Are we a nation state, or are we just 310 million individuals in it for ourselves? I think you know the answer to that one too.

    Mind you, with the way the government is run these days, I wouldn't have a problem if about 100 million people decided all at once one year to not pay their taxes. The reason is that I do not support the corrupt financial institutions and corporate powers which are currently running our country and overstepping our Republic.
    Irrelevant even if true, and you haven't proven it.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    You know - they could solve all that if they just gave away food instead of throwing it in the trash at restaurants and grocery stores - consider it tax-deductable, require it to be donated to charity - cost to the state = $0.00. How many people can billions of pounds of a full variety of foods feed each year?
    I have been thinking that for YEARS.

  9. #139
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    No doubt...the economy is down. LOTS of factors and the government isnt helping things nor has it for a long long time. You forgot the individual greed that created the housing crisis...the people that bought homes and flipped them for outrageous profits, those that bought homes they could not in any way afford, those that were voluntarily stupid enough to jump into ARMs. Still...there IS work, there ARE jobs, and when we are talking the food stamp crowd I think you would be disengenuous if you suggested that the majority are people OTHER than the chronic 'downtrodden' of society.
    I hear this argument all the time. Banks aren't responsible because people were dumb enough to sign the contracts, so now they're SOL. I'm not buying it. Especially considering that even attorneys often struggle to comprehend the labyrinth of legal gobbledygook.

    The fact is that the economy is playing a larger role in many foreclosures, bankruptcies, and unemployment than many people here are admitting. Pridefully looking down on others in terrible situations may provide a temporary source of self esteem but it isn't honest.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    That plays into it, but that's also playing the "Victim" card.
    I was unemployed for a while, I didn't take food stamps, welfare, or jobless bennies. My wife an dI cut spending, made sacrifices and worked on her pay check alone scarping by sometimes living off raman noodles for several days. I blamed no one, but myself for failing to a land a job, the economic situation made it difficult, but not impossible. I knew, if I suddenly was able to exist without a job and have money left over due to aide programs... it would make it easier for me to NOT find a job. Necessity is the greatest teacher.
    I take it you and your wife have no kids. Because if you did, your gesture of self reliance would have put you out on the street/
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  10. #140
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: New Mexico to end food stamp supplement

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    New Mexico to end food stamp supplement | New Mexico Independent

    Well, it's official, New Mexico would rather Rich People get Tax Breaks then elderly people and the poor eat.
    Well, that should make most conservatives very happy, shouldn't it?



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •