Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Lawsuit challenges constitutionality of Colorado's TABOR amendment

  1. #1
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Lawsuit challenges constitutionality of Colorado's TABOR amendment

    This article just blows me away. State lawmakers and local government officials are challenging the constitutionality of the Colorado's Taxpayer's Bill of Rights.

    The suit alleges that TABOR, which prohibits the legislature from raising taxes without a vote of the people, limits the General Assembly's power in violation of the U.S. Constitution guarantee that states have a "republican" government, in which the authority to govern is given to elected officials.
    It would be hilarious if it wasn’t so stinking sad that elected officials think they need less democracy to better represent their constituents. The lawsuit says, among other things:

    "At our nation's birth, some 3 million citizens acted through their representatives at a constitutional convention to commit the nation to a government of representative democracy, a republic, and rejected direct democracy," the lawsuit argues. "Today, the Constitution carries the same commitment in a nation of over 300 million people."

    So these Republicans and Democrats believe that their constituents are infringing upon the constitutional right of the state government to tax and spend as much as it wants?


    How are idiots like this getting elected?



    Denver Post Article

    Link to Lawsuit

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Disputatious71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,747
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Lawsuit challenges constitutionality of Colorado's TABOR amendment

    This raises an interesting question, should we replace our government with one more inclined towards passions and factions (aka Mob Rule), which not only removes from issues needed deliberation but also favors majorities over minorities in such a way that the minorities rights could be trampled upon. After all mob rule did not bode well for the Greek city states...

  3. #3
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Lawsuit challenges constitutionality of Colorado's TABOR amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Disputatious71 View Post
    This raises an interesting question, should we replace our government with one more inclined towards passions and factions (aka Mob Rule), which not only removes from issues needed deliberation but also favors majorities over minorities in such a way that the minorities rights could be trampled upon. After all mob rule did not bode well for the Greek city states...
    Sorry dude, this isn’t mob rule. Mob rule is more like giving people who don’t pay taxes the right to vote to raise taxes.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Disputatious71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,747
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Lawsuit challenges constitutionality of Colorado's TABOR amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    Sorry dude, this isn’t mob rule. Mob rule is more like giving people who don’t pay taxes the right to vote to raise taxes.
    Then is it your opinion we do not have a Democratic Republic ?

  5. #5
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Lawsuit challenges constitutionality of Colorado's TABOR amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Disputatious71 View Post
    Then is it your opinion we do not have a Democratic Republic ?
    It is my opinion that we have a Constitutional Republic.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Disputatious71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,747
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Lawsuit challenges constitutionality of Colorado's TABOR amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    It is my opinion that we have a Constitutional Republic.
    Do you believe it is Democratic ?

  7. #7
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Lawsuit challenges constitutionality of Colorado's TABOR amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Disputatious71 View Post
    Do you believe it is Democratic ?
    Have you read the US Constitution?

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Disputatious71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,747
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Lawsuit challenges constitutionality of Colorado's TABOR amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    Have you read the US Constitution?
    I am staying on topic, are you ? It is your post and it appears you do not believe the Republic we have in the USA is democratic, but to ease your mind I have read it several times and appear to have a better understanding of it than you do.
    The question is more important than the answer!

  9. #9
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Lawsuit challenges constitutionality of Colorado's TABOR amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    This article just blows me away. State lawmakers and local government officials are challenging the constitutionality of the Colorado's Taxpayer's Bill of Rights.



    It would be hilarious if it wasn’t so stinking sad that elected officials think they need less democracy to better represent their constituents. The lawsuit says, among other things:




    So these Republicans and Democrats believe that their constituents are infringing upon the constitutional right of the state government to tax and spend as much as it wants?


    How are idiots like this getting elected?



    Denver Post Article

    Link to Lawsuit
    I don't see how they can challenge it since the people voted in accordance with the Constitution for the state of Colorado to amend it with TABOR. That is a republican principle in the Constitution of the United States they are citing as cause for the suit. Upon reading Constitution of the State of Colorado under Section I it states, "All political power is vested in and derived from the people; all government, of right, originates from the people, is founded upon their will only, and is instituted solely for the good of the whole." It is followed by Section II which states, "The people of this state have the sole and exclusive right of governing themselves, as a free, sovereign and independent state; and to alter and abolish their constitution and form of government whenever they may deem it necessary to their safety and happiness, provided, such change be not repugnant to the constitution of the United States."

    This is what happens when you have people that don't understand the basics of our system of government and the Constitution(s) protections of rights. Constitution(s) are a limit on government not the people who have ultimate authority.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Disputatious71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,747
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Lawsuit challenges constitutionality of Colorado's TABOR amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    I don't see how they can challenge it since the people voted in accordance with the Constitution for the state of Colorado to amend it with TABOR. That is a republican principle in the Constitution of the United States they are citing as cause for the suit. Upon reading Constitution of the State of Colorado under Section I it states, "All political power is vested in and derived from the people; all government, of right, originates from the people, is founded upon their will only, and is instituted solely for the good of the whole." It is followed by Section II which states, "The people of this state have the sole and exclusive right of governing themselves, as a free, sovereign and independent state; and to alter and abolish their constitution and form of government whenever they may deem it necessary to their safety and happiness, provided, such change be not repugnant to the constitution of the United States."

    This is what happens when you have people that don't understand the basics of our system of government and the Constitution(s) protections of rights. Constitution(s) are a limit on government not the people who have ultimate authority.
    I believe the underlined part was the part being used to attempt to refute the amendment
    The question is more important than the answer!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •