Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: North Korea ultimately wants reunification, I say we give it to them

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    12-24-16 @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    708
    Blog Entries
    6

    North Korea ultimately wants reunification, I say we give it to them

    What does North Korean leader Kim Jong-un really want? - BBC News

    'The big prize: reunification': Supporter Kim Myong Chol

    Kim Myong Chol was born and lives in Japan, but is ethnically Korean.

    He has been to North Korea more than 20 times in the last 40 years, and says he has met representatives of the country's elite as well as, in his words, the two Kims - Kim Jong-un's father and grandfather. He hasn't met the third Kim yet, but praises his "guts, determination and intelligence".

    Some describe Kim Myong Chol as an unofficial spokesman for the leader.

    "What makes him different from the two Kims," he argues, "is that he will succeed in getting what he wants. The reunification of Korea, without foreign interference. Eventually the US will leave Korea and the Korean peninsula will be re-unified.
    There must be a reason why North Korea has survived for so long and is now on its way to developing nuclear weapons. And the only reason I can think of is a human reason: they want a better and stronger Korea.

    I say we give it to them under conditions. First off, let them keep their nuclear weapons and let Japan have its own too (if absolutely necessary). Second, let us slowly remove our American military presence from Korean soil. We will always be a hostile force to North Korea no matter what (we did invade their country after all alongside the UN). In exchange, the Kim dynasty must cease all political activities from here on out. Their descendants will only be given titles and honors but no political power (similar to England's monarchy). The new united Korean superstate will be a democracy and it will be a firm supporter of the United States (as long as we don't station troops there and they play their cards right with China).

    The United Nations can never really come to terms with North Korea given their turbulent interhistory (continuing sanctions and past UN invasion of Korea).

    I want to take a moment here to make it clear that I am no fan of North Korea. I am against Kim Jung Un's brutal dictatorship, labor camps, and all the crimes against humanity that he has committed. However, this is really the best he can do under the circumstances especially when you factor in reunification end goal, hostility with the UN and USA, and also his inheritance.

    Clearly, this is a job for the United Earth High Advisory Council. I believe with this new international and interdialogue platform, we can at least compromise and find meaningful solutions to bring lasting peace and prosperity to this one corner of the world (and maybe to others).

    The alternative to the UEHAC is to continue to sanction North Korea until they fully develop their nuclear capabilities and thus force the world to come to the table on North Korean terms. If this were to happen, the world would have to concede much more to North Korea. Or we could initiate the disaster and catastrophe of invading North Korea again.
    Last edited by Kelfuma; 11-10-16 at 12:20 AM.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Fledermaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    27,978

    Re: North Korea ultimately wants reunification, I say we give it to them

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelfuma View Post
    What does North Korean leader Kim Jong-un really want? - BBC News

    There must be a reason why North Korea has survived for so long and is now on its way to developing nuclear weapons. And the only reason I can think of is a human reason: they want a better and stronger Korea.

    I say we give it to them under conditions. First off, let them keep their nuclear weapons and let Japan have its own too (if absolutely necessary). Second, let us slowly remove our American military presence from Korean soil. We will always be a hostile force to North Korea no matter what (we did invade their country after all alongside the UN). In exchange, the Kim dynasty must cease all political activities from here on out. Their descendants will only be given titles and honors but no political power (similar to England's monarchy). The new united Korean superstate will be a democracy and it will be a firm supporter of the United States (as long as we don't station troops there and they play their cards right with China).

    The United Nations can never really come to terms with North Korea given their turbulent interhistory (continuing sanctions and past UN invasion of Korea).

    I want to take a moment here to make it clear that I am no fan of North Korea. I am against Kim Jung Un's brutal dictatorship, labor camps, and all the crimes against humanity that he has committed. However, this is really the best he can do under the circumstances especially when you factor in reunification end goal, hostility with the UN and USA, and also his inheritance.

    Clearly, this is a job for the United Earth High Advisory Council. I believe with this new international and interdialogue platform, we can at least compromise and find meaningful solutions to bring lasting peace and prosperity to this one corner of the world (and maybe to others).

    The alternative to the UEHAC is to continue to sanction North Korea until they fully develop their nuclear capabilities and thus force the world to come to the table on North Korean terms. If this were to happen, the world would have to concede much more to North Korea. Or we could initiate the disaster and catastrophe of invading North Korea again.
    Japan has no nuclear weapons.

    North Korea is a dictatorship run by a progression of psychopaths.
    “All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”
    ― Douglas Adams

  3. #3
    Stay Salty My Friends.
    CMPancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    South Korea
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,580
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: North Korea ultimately wants reunification, I say we give it to them

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelfuma View Post
    I say we give it to them under conditions. First off, let them keep their nuclear weapons and let Japan have its own too (if absolutely necessary). Second, let us slowly remove our American military presence from Korean soil. We will always be a hostile force to North Korea no matter what (we did invade their country after all alongside the UN). In exchange, the Kim dynasty must cease all political activities from here on out. Their descendants will only be given titles and honors but no political power (similar to England's monarchy). The new united Korean superstate will be a democracy and it will be a firm supporter of the United States (as long as we don't station troops there and they play their cards right with China).


    You are so utterly clueless on international affairs if you honestly believe anyone would agree to those terms. None of that is remotely reasonable to anyone worth their salt in foreign affairs. Good lord, do you honestly think people of South Korea would give the Kim family similar respect the English give the Royal family?
    The risk I took was calculated but man, am I bad at math.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I say that he [Trump] is the most honest guy to come down the pike in a very long while.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    12-24-16 @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    708
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: North Korea ultimately wants reunification, I say we give it to them

    Quote Originally Posted by CMPancake View Post

    You are so utterly clueless on international affairs if you honestly believe anyone would agree to those terms. None of that is remotely reasonable to anyone worth their salt in foreign affairs. Good lord, do you honestly think people of South Korea would give the Kim family similar respect the English give the Royal family?
    Probably not. That's not really the point.

  5. #5
    Stay Salty My Friends.
    CMPancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    South Korea
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,580
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: North Korea ultimately wants reunification, I say we give it to them

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelfuma View Post
    Probably not. That's not really the point.
    So what was your point in providing a bunch of terms that are at best laughably unachievable because....
    The risk I took was calculated but man, am I bad at math.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I say that he [Trump] is the most honest guy to come down the pike in a very long while.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    12-24-16 @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    708
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: North Korea ultimately wants reunification, I say we give it to them

    Quote Originally Posted by CMPancake View Post
    So what was your point in providing a bunch of terms that are at best laughably unachievable because....
    It was a test.

  7. #7
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong, Shanghai, Los Angeles, Singapore, Rotterdam
    Last Seen
    06-20-17 @ 07:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    132

    Re: North Korea ultimately wants reunification, I say we give it to them

    Quote Originally Posted by CMPancake View Post
    So what was your point in providing a bunch of terms that are at best laughably unachievable because....
    Because his suggestion, although as you say bordering on impossible, actually thinks out of the box, and may help us get out of an eventual great war in Asia.

    The Korean peninsula is on a knife's edge, with the PM's fiasco in SK putting governance in total disarray, the PRC's hegemonic interests (legitimate or otherwise), the Japanese subconscious fear that China is going to lay their asses out for Nanjing, fat Kim dreaming of real healthy food and licking his chops as he looks across the border, and Ms. Clinton's ill-conceived pivot to Asia further inflaming tensions. One mistake by some idiot on either side could escalate and start a shooting war on the peninsula, similar to those stupid flyby's on both sides of the Cold War divide, with China, NK, and possibly Russia on one side, and the US, Japan, Australia, and ASEAN on the other.

    Alot of people would suffer. Doing the same crap over and over again (sanctions, food aid, sanctions, aid, sanctions) hasn't done ****. NK sucks as ever, the people are suffering as much as ever, and the Kims get crazier every year. Even the Chinese are sick of his fat ass, but would never tolerate an American presence on their doorstep.

    The two Koreas uniting peacefully would be great for world peace. Hey, fat Kim could be a "tourist attraction" like the British monarchy. Doubt he'd do any worse than Charles.

  8. #8
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2

    Re: North Korea ultimately wants reunification, I say we give it to them

    Quote Originally Posted by CMPancake View Post


    You are so utterly clueless on international affairs if you honestly believe anyone would agree to those terms. None of that is remotely reasonable to anyone worth their salt in foreign affairs. Good lord, do you honestly think people of South Korea would give the Kim family similar respect the English give the Royal family?
    We can not claim to be adding to the human experience rather than detracting from it if this is our reaction to an idea we find far-fetched. We should seek as ever to benefit from new and frightening ideas, explore the hypotheticals, learn something new, ask questions, cross-examine ourselves and take the plunge into foreign oceans.

    Debate is supposed to be an art-form, after all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •