Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 166

Thread: Live Sex Shows Legal in Oregon

  1. #1
    Professor
    George_Washington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    United States of America and proud of it!
    Last Seen
    08-16-06 @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,962
    Likes Received
    0 times
    Likes Given
    0

    Live Sex Shows Legal in Oregon

    I watched The O'Reilly Factor tonight (for 10-10-2005) and he mentioned that live sex shows are legal in Oregon. It's the only state in the union where they are legal.

    What do you guys think about this?

    I think we should pass a national law banning live sex shows as to safeguard the moral foundation of this country.

  2. #2
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Last Seen
    11-02-08 @ 03:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    432
    Likes Received
    0 times
    Likes Given
    0

    Re: Live Sex Shows Legal in Oregon

    I think it should be legal. It is a victimless crime, and all those involved are there willingly. We should look to change the personal decisions of the American people to safeguard our moral foundation.

    Think about this:
    Suppose I don't go to live sex shows because I think it is immoral (which I do). Now suppose I don't go to it only because its illegal and I don't want to get in trouble. In which instance am I showing virtue?

    If you don't see the argument here - I'll give you some more examples:
    Suppose person A gives money to charity because its the right thing to do. Now suppose that person A pays taxes to the government which go to charity. In which instance is person A demonstrating a moral quality?

    Should a woman living under an Islamic Theocracy be praised for modesty if she wears a covering - even if the penalty for not doing it is - well - unpleasant?
    What about a muslim woman doing the same by choice in the US?

  3. #3
    Professor
    George_Washington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    United States of America and proud of it!
    Last Seen
    08-16-06 @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,962
    Likes Received
    0 times
    Likes Given
    0

    Re: Live Sex Shows Legal in Oregon

    Quote Originally Posted by Connecticutter
    I think it should be legal. It is a victimless crime, and all those involved are there willingly. We should look to change the personal decisions of the American people to safeguard our moral foundation.

    Think about this:
    Suppose I don't go to live sex shows because I think it is immoral (which I do). Now suppose I don't go to it only because its illegal and I don't want to get in trouble. In which instance am I showing virtue?

    If you don't see the argument here - I'll give you some more examples:
    Suppose person A gives money to charity because its the right thing to do. Now suppose that person A pays taxes to the government which go to charity. In which instance is person A demonstrating a moral quality?

    Should a woman living under an Islamic Theocracy be praised for modesty if she wears a covering - even if the penalty for not doing it is - well - unpleasant?
    What about a muslim woman doing the same by choice in the US?
    I feel that legalizing it will lead to crime and possibly a higher rate of divorce.

  4. #4
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Last Seen
    11-02-08 @ 03:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    432
    Likes Received
    0 times
    Likes Given
    0

    Re: Live Sex Shows Legal in Oregon

    Quote Originally Posted by George_Washington
    I feel that legalizing it will lead to crime and possibly a higher rate of divorce.
    How so? Making things illegal usually leads to more crime.
    Why a higher rate of divorce?

  5. #5
    Professor
    George_Washington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    United States of America and proud of it!
    Last Seen
    08-16-06 @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,962
    Likes Received
    0 times
    Likes Given
    0

    Re: Live Sex Shows Legal in Oregon

    Quote Originally Posted by Connecticutter
    How so? Making things illegal usually leads to more crime.
    Why a higher rate of divorce?
    I think that just the nature of the business would lead to more crime and I think that divorce would go up because it would give people more of an incentive to want to cheat.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Likes Received
    11319 times
    Likes Given
    10864
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Live Sex Shows Legal in Oregon

    Quote Originally Posted by George_Washington
    I think that just the nature of the business would lead to more crime and I think that divorce would go up because it would give people more of an incentive to want to cheat.
    If a person is going to cheat, I highly doubt it would be because of a live sex show. Broken marriages can only be blamed on the individuals involved, not a performance industry.

  7. #7
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    09-24-11 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534
    Likes Received
    1000 times
    Likes Given
    413

    Re: Live Sex Shows Legal in Oregon

    I think it's kick ass! Although I wouldn't go to see it. Kinda like watching sports on TV. Much more healthy for you if you stop watching and start playing.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  8. #8
    Educator
    Australianlibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Last Seen
    02-07-13 @ 07:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,011
    Likes Received
    306 times
    Likes Given
    68

    Re: Live Sex Shows Legal in Oregon

    Its just sex.

    If people want to pay to watch other people going at it, so be it. Although I much prefer having sex with someone else, rather than watching it live or cable for the matter! Ha ha!. But hay, if that is how you get your kicks then so be it.

    And if you don't like the idea of going to live sex shows, then you don't have to go and watch it.

    In terms of consensual sexual acts between adults, what is moral is relative to the individual. Imagine I said this, I think that conservative Christians should be forced to see live sex acts, because America and the U.S is at threat of becoming prudish!


    Anyway all very interesting!

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    02-10-12 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    845
    Likes Received
    307 times
    Likes Given
    6

    Re: Live Sex Shows Legal in Oregon

    I don't know about you guys, but I prefer my sex shows to have at least five minute delay. That way, there's plenty of time to cut to commercial if anything inappropriate should occur.

    Seriously though, how in the world does waiting for the exact same footage to cycle through editors, manufacturers, video stores and whoever else minimize the 'harm' these shows cause to society? Seems to me that the only additional footage you'd see from live footage would be the bloopers that end up on the cutting room floor. Sounds like people queasy over pornography in general want to cut back on the variety in vain efforts to reduce quantity.

    I'd be very interested in reading rationalizations about how live sex shows (more so than on demand pay-per-view movies, store bought pornos, or 24 hour sex channels) damage society in ways that justify violating the first amendment rights of mutually consenting adults.

  10. #10
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 07:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688
    Likes Received
    7334 times
    Likes Given
    2135

    Re: Live Sex Shows Legal in Oregon

    Of course it should be legal. For one thing, it's no one else's business as long as everyone there is consenting. For another thing, it's DEFINITELY not the federal government's business whether or not individual states allow things like this. We don't need laws to "safeguard the moral foundation of our country," because what you REALLY mean is we need laws to "impose my personal moral foundation on the country." If you consider live sex shows immoral, don't go to them.

    If this is a real political issue, then the United States badly needs to get laid.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 10-11-05 at 01:54 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •