Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Book of Mormon - Scientific Inaccuracies

  1. #1
    Dungeon Master
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    32,194
    Likes Received
    16341 times
    Likes Given
    7510

    The Book of Mormon - Scientific Inaccuracies

    Is the Book of Mormon, like the Bible, written by the hand of God through men, or is it only just invention of a man who deceived his flock? One only has to open the Book of Mormon and read it to find that the gross inaccuracies contained in the book show that this is not the word of God at all, and that Joseph Smith DID deceive his followers by writing fiction.

    1) I Nephi 18:21 And it came to pass after they had loosed me, behold, I took the compass, and it did work whither I desired it. And it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord; and after I had prayed the winds did cease, and the storm did cease, and there was a great calm.

    -The compass was not even invented until 1800 years later.

    2) I Nephi 8:25 And it came to pass that we did find upon the land of promise, as we journeyed in the wilderness, that there were beasts in the forests of every kind, both the cow and the ox, and the a$$ and the horse, and the goat and the wild goat, and all manner of wild animals, which were for the use of men. And we did find all manner of ore, both of gold, and of silver, and of copper.

    -Cows and horses did not exist in the Americas at that time, and would not exist until 2000 years later, when Europeans brought them over.

    I Nephi 4:9 And I beheld his sword, and I drew it forth from the sheath thereof; and the hilt thereof was of pure gold, and the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine, and I saw that the blade thereof was of the most precious steel.

    -Steel did not exist in the Americas until Columbus.

    Enos 1:20 And I bear record that the people of Nephi did seek diligently to restore the Lamanites unto the true faith in God. But our labors were vain; their hatred was fixed, and they were led by their evil nature that they became wild, and ferocious, and a bloodthirsty people, full of idolatry and filthiness; feeding upon beasts of prey; dwelling in tents, and wandering about in the wilderness with a short skin girdle about their loins and their heads shaven; and their skill was in the bow, and in the cimeter, and the ax. And many of them did eat nothing save it was raw meat; and they were continually seeking to destroy us.

    -The cimter is a curved sword, with the sharp edge on the convex side. None have ever been found by archaeologists studying the Americas.

    Mosiah 7:22 And all this he did, for the sole purpose of bringing this people into subjection or into bondage. And behold, we at this time do pay tribute to the king of the Lamanites, to the amount of one half of our corn, and our barley, and even all our grain of every kind, and one half of the increase of our flocks and our herds; and even one half of all we have or possess the king of the Lamanites doth exact of us, or our lives.

    -Barley did not exist in the Americas at that time.

    Ether 2:3 And they did also carry with them deseret, which, by interpretation, is a honey bee; and thus they did carry with them swarms of bees, and all manner of that which was upon the face of the land, seeds of every kind.

    -Honeybees did not exist in the New World until Europeans introduced them in the 1700's.

    This is just for starters. You can read more at the Skeptics Annotated Book of Mormon.
    Last edited by danarhea; 12-14-07 at 10:45 AM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Outlaw
    Lachean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Galt's Gulch
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,801
    Likes Received
    4553 times
    Likes Given
    5773

    Re: The Book of Mormon - Scientific Inaccuracies

    Are you serious Dana? You really wanna go scientific on Mormon claims?

    Of course its going to be unscientific, because Mormonism is just Christianity plus a bunch more mysticism. Or as Sam Harris put it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Harris @ AAI
    Mormonism, it seems to me, is—objectively—just a little more idiotic than Christianity is. It has to be: because it is Christianity plus some very stupid ideas. For instance, the Mormons think Jesus is going to return to earth and administer his Thousand years of Peace, at least part of the time, from the state of Missouri. Why does this make Mormonism less likely to be true than Christianity? Because whatever probability you assign to Jesus’ coming back, you have to assign a lesser probability to his coming back and keeping a summer home in Jackson County, Missouri.
    Ask yourself, who do evil people hate? What philosophy do they abhor?

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Likes Received
    11319 times
    Likes Given
    10864
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Book of Mormon - Scientific Inaccuracies

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Is the Book of Mormon, like the Bible, written by the hand of God through men, or is it only just invention of a man who deceived his flock? One only has to open the Book of Mormon and read it to find that the gross inaccuracies contained in the book show that this is not the word of God at all, and that Joseph Smith DID deceive his followers by writing fiction.

    1) I Nephi 18:21 And it came to pass after they had loosed me, behold, I took the compass, and it did work whither I desired it. And it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord; and after I had prayed the winds did cease, and the storm did cease, and there was a great calm.

    -The compass was not even invented until 1800 years later.

    2) I Nephi 8:25 And it came to pass that we did find upon the land of promise, as we journeyed in the wilderness, that there were beasts in the forests of every kind, both the cow and the ox, and the a$$ and the horse, and the goat and the wild goat, and all manner of wild animals, which were for the use of men. And we did find all manner of ore, both of gold, and of silver, and of copper.

    -Cows and horses did not exist in the Americas at that time, and would not exist until 2000 years later, when Europeans brought them over.

    I Nephi 4:9 And I beheld his sword, and I drew it forth from the sheath thereof; and the hilt thereof was of pure gold, and the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine, and I saw that the blade thereof was of the most precious steel.

    -Steel did not exist in the Americas until Columbus.

    Enos 1:20 And I bear record that the people of Nephi did seek diligently to restore the Lamanites unto the true faith in God. But our labors were vain; their hatred was fixed, and they were led by their evil nature that they became wild, and ferocious, and a bloodthirsty people, full of idolatry and filthiness; feeding upon beasts of prey; dwelling in tents, and wandering about in the wilderness with a short skin girdle about their loins and their heads shaven; and their skill was in the bow, and in the cimeter, and the ax. And many of them did eat nothing save it was raw meat; and they were continually seeking to destroy us.

    -The cimter is a curved sword, with the sharp edge on the convex side. None have ever been found by archaeologists studying the Americas.

    Mosiah 7:22 And all this he did, for the sole purpose of bringing this people into subjection or into bondage. And behold, we at this time do pay tribute to the king of the Lamanites, to the amount of one half of our corn, and our barley, and even all our grain of every kind, and one half of the increase of our flocks and our herds; and even one half of all we have or possess the king of the Lamanites doth exact of us, or our lives.

    -Barley did not exist in the Americas at that time.

    Ether 2:3 And they did also carry with them deseret, which, by interpretation, is a honey bee; and thus they did carry with them swarms of bees, and all manner of that which was upon the face of the land, seeds of every kind.

    -Honeybees did not exist in the New World until Europeans introduced them in the 1700's.

    This is just for starters. You can read more at the Skeptics Annotated Book of Mormon.
    The Book of Mormon has scientific inaccuracies. So what? So does the Bible.

    Something tells me this isn't about the Book of Mormon. I got a sneaking suspicion that you are making a jab at Romney. Still bitter about having your a$$ handed to you yesterday?

  4. #4
    Outlaw
    Lachean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Galt's Gulch
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,801
    Likes Received
    4553 times
    Likes Given
    5773

    Oh, its you...

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    The Book of Mormon has scientific inaccuracies. So what? So does the Bible.
    Oh, well I guess that makes scientific inaccuracies okay!

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Something tells me this isn't about the Book of Mormon. I got a sneaking suspicion that you are making a jab at Romney. Still bitter about having your a$$ handed to you yesterday?
    By the guy who, while begging for religious tolerance, said that freedom requires religion? Not likely...
    Ask yourself, who do evil people hate? What philosophy do they abhor?

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Likes Received
    11319 times
    Likes Given
    10864
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Oh, its you...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Oh, well I guess that makes scientific inaccuracies okay!
    I never made that claim. Why don't you try something out...speak to what I actually said and not what you wish I had said.

    By the guy who, while begging for religious tolerance, said that freedom requires religion? Not likely...
    I never made that claim either. Answer me a question: can you even read at all?

  6. #6
    Outlaw
    Lachean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Galt's Gulch
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,801
    Likes Received
    4553 times
    Likes Given
    5773

    Re: Oh, its you...

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I never made that claim. Why don't you try something out...speak to what I actually said and not what you wish I had said.
    So tell me then, what claim were you making with "So does the bible." What was the point of saying that, what were you trying to get across, if it wasn't a justification.

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I never made that claim either.
    Did I say that you did? I was talking about Romney's argument from the speech that you claimed Dana was bitter about. That was what I was talking about, if you cared to pay attention.

    Has your ad-hominem oriented logic gone so far over the deep end that you cannot distinguish between a response and a claim?

    Shall I say it again for you in simpler language?: Romney said that freedom requires religion, and I doubted that Dana is bitter about such tripe being considered "handing anyone their *** to them." If anything Romney showed how illogical his position is.

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Answer me a question: can you even read at all?
    Yes I can.

    My turn: Why can you not distinguish between my doubting that Dana is bitter about Romney vs me putting a claim into your mouth?

    You've grown so spiteful that you cannot even follow conversation. Where in my previous post did I say you made a claim regarding Romney's hypocritical stance on Secularism?
    Last edited by Lachean; 12-14-07 at 12:58 PM.
    Ask yourself, who do evil people hate? What philosophy do they abhor?

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Likes Received
    11319 times
    Likes Given
    10864
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Oh, its you...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    So tell me then, what claim were you making with "So does the bible." What was the point of saying that, what were you trying to get across, if it wasn't a justification.
    Dana said: Is the Book of Mormon, like the Bible, written by the hand of God through men, or is it only just invention of a man who deceived his flock?

    And then Dana went on to discredit the Book of Mormon, but not the Bible, because of scientific inaccuracies. I made the point that BOTH have scientific inaccuracies so his comparison/contrast proved nothing.

    Did I say that you did?
    Sounded like it to me.

    I was talking about Romney's argument from the speech that you claimed Dana was bitter about. That was what I was talking about, if you cared to pay attention.
    Well had you cared to pay attention or ask a friggin question rather than jump into the fray without a clue what you are talking about, you would have been informed that I was talking about how a bunch of us handed Dana his a$$ yesterday in another thread along the same topic. But, true to form, you just decided to start flapping your gums because you just like to see yourself post. You're just so smawt, arentcha?

    Yes I can.

    My turn: Why can you not distinguish between my doubting that Dana is bitter about Romney vs me putting a claim into your mouth.
    Uhh...because no one made a claim about Dana being bitter about Romney, brainchild. You're just confused all the way around.

  8. #8
    Outlaw
    Lachean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Galt's Gulch
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,801
    Likes Received
    4553 times
    Likes Given
    5773

    Re: Oh, its you...

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Dana said: Is the Book of Mormon, like the Bible, written by the hand of God through men, or is it only just invention of a man who deceived his flock?

    And then Dana went on to discredit the Book of Mormon, but not the Bible, because of scientific inaccuracies. I made the point that BOTH have scientific inaccuracies so his comparison/contrast proved nothing.
    How are Dana's arguments against the scientific inaccuracies of the book of Mormon invalid simply because of the scientific inaccuracies of the Bible?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Sounded like it to me.

    Well had you cared to pay attention or ask a friggin question rather than jump into the fray without a clue what you are talking about, you would have been informed that I was talking about how a bunch of us handed Dana his a$$ yesterday in another thread along the same topic. But, true to form, you just decided to start flapping your gums because you just like to see yourself post. You're just so smawt, arentcha?

    Uhh...because no one made a claim about Dana being bitter about Romney, brainchild. You're just confused all the way around.
    Oh really? So you never said in post #3 that he was making a jab @ Romney because he was bitter about some alleged *** handing of yesterday? I guess yesterday's discussion had nothing to do with Romney at all.

    I wouldn't know, because I don't know what debate you're referring to. But I guess it was just crazy for me to assume he would jab @ Romney for something RELATED.

    What do I need to ask you about when Romney's speech text is available online. I still doubt that Dana would have been bitter about anything having to do with that illogical "freedom requires religion" moron.
    Last edited by Lachean; 12-14-07 at 01:21 PM.
    Ask yourself, who do evil people hate? What philosophy do they abhor?

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Likes Received
    11319 times
    Likes Given
    10864
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Oh, its you...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    How are Dana's arguments against the scientific inaccuracies of the book of Mormon invalid simply because of the scientific inaccuracies of the Bible?



    Oh really? So you never said in post #3 that he was making a jab @ Romney because he was bitter about some alleged *** handing of yesterday? I guess yesterday's discussion had nothing to do with Romney at all.

    What do I need to ask you about when Romney's speech text is available online. I still doubt that Dana would have been bitter about anything having to do with that illogical "freedom requires religion" moron.
    I'm going to try typing real slow this time so maybe you can have at least a chance of understanding...

    My comment, directed to Dana, was about a thread we were both in yesterday that had NOTHING TO DO WITH ROMNEY'S SPEECH. It was about ROMNEY BEING MORMON but not ROMNEY'S SPEECH that you keep caterwauling about.

    God, you have such a boner for trying to prove someone wrong that you can't even comprehend what was written. Maybe it's just that your mouth-foam is now blocking your vision...I dunno. I do know one thing...you have been off my ignore list for a sum total of 1 hour and I'm already starting to regret it.

  10. #10
    Outlaw
    Lachean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Galt's Gulch
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,801
    Likes Received
    4553 times
    Likes Given
    5773

    You've grown so hateful its almost funny

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I'm going to try typing real slow this time so maybe you can have at least a chance of understanding...

    My comment, directed to Dana, was about a thread we were both in yesterday that had NOTHING TO DO WITH ROMNEY'S SPEECH. It was about ROMNEY BEING MORMON but not ROMNEY'S SPEECH that you keep caterwauling about.

    God, you have such a boner for trying to prove someone wrong that you can't even comprehend what was written. Maybe it's just that your mouth-foam is now blocking your vision...I dunno. I do know one thing...you have been off my ignore list for a sum total of 1 hour and I'm already starting to regret it.
    Okay so I guess Romney's speech had nothing to do with his being a Mormon. How silly of me! I guess my memory isn't so good, because somehow I remember him denouncing secularism while begging the nation for religious tolerance.

    I MUST be equivocating on two totally distinct issues having to do with Romney but not his Mormonism...

    PS: You can type as slow as you like, but the text comes out the same to me regardless. Take all the time you need, but perhaps you should try posting more intelligently. Oh and being on your ignore list really breaks my heart, I swear!

    PSS: It doesn't matter, your whole last post was only to dodge the fact that you were in fact trying to justify scientific inaccuracies in one scripture with another.

    PSSS: If my logic is too far above your reading level, feel free to put me back on ignore. Your not addressing my logic is nothing new to me. And while I was on ignore, I debunked your tripe on various threads anyway; For the sake of truth and to arm the ones you were paying attention to.
    Last edited by Lachean; 12-14-07 at 01:33 PM.
    Ask yourself, who do evil people hate? What philosophy do they abhor?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •