All of the above.Today I read the following posted in one of the abortion threads where one poster was speaking to another about the two's irresolvable completely polemically differing perspective on an abortion issue matter that they kept iterating over and over and over with each other .. until one finally said:
And though I was not the person being spoken to, I couldn't help but think "no, duh!" and want to ask them both, "then why do you keep hammering each other about it?" .. which got me to wondering about people's real motives in general for posting in these abortion threads.
So .. "why" indeed!
That's generally what I'd like to know: why do you post in the abortion threads?
Everyone has their reasons, and not all of them, understandably, are the same.
I chose options #1, #7, and #12 in the poll (see poll options below)
For me, I chose option #1 in the poll (see poll options below), as I post in the abortion threads for the same reason I post seriously in every forum: I have an innate "ontological" inclination to value and trust the truth in creating the optimal solution to any problem or conflict, and when I see an opportunity to present significant relevant facts and the truth they reveal or to correct obvious misrepresentations of fact/reality, I'm drawn to the opportunity. For me, it's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but, no matter what the resultant verdict.
Because of the extreme polemic dualistic nature of the abortion conflict, there are a ton of posts in these threads that reflect either a conscious disdain or unconscious denial of the facts and relevant truth of many particulars associated with this issue .. and I thoroughly enjoy refuting them in the name of creating conflict resolution no matter from which polemic side of the argument the misrepresentations originate, though it really does get tiring doing so over and over and over again with so many people in so many different threads, and it can dishearten me a bit that so many people post so carelessly and show little to no interest in truly resolving the conflict well.
Indeed though, with regard to resolving the abortion conflict, I realize that only a truth-based middleground-style of presentation is likely to lead to a solution that both of the traditional polemic-opposition sides in the conflict can unite and champion, and that plays into the mediation/arbitration aspects of my particular Jungian character and temperament.
In addition, the abortion conflict centers around a life and death matter that touches deeply, thus strengthening my desire to present the truth and correct falsity .. so I also chose option #12 (see poll options below). Many prenatals are being killed and many women are suffering serious psychological-physiological life-threatening health issues whether they choose to abort or not, nearly all that could be prevented if we could create a real solution to this problem.
But my reason for posting in the abortion threads -- to present the facts and the truth they reveal leading to real resolution of the matter that benefits all and that both oppositions can truly embrace without changing their relevant values -- is, as I have found, rare in these threads .. and, yeah, call me a dreamer if you like, but that's why I post in these threads. And posting for the reason I do furthers my knowledge, skills, and personal growth, again valuable to someone of my Jungian ilk, and thus I also chose option #7 in the poll as well (see poll options below).
Most people, however, do indeed post in the abortion threads for quite a different number of reasons .. and it's your reason for posting in these threads that interests me in this thread.
So, please sincerely list as many of the poll's observed reasons by number as apply to you and expound on those reasons why you post the way you do in the abortion thread.
And please, be emotionally honest in your reply, and not just for the ethical rightness of everyone's trusting sake, but because, the nature of this conflict being what I've observed it to be, if you answer contrary to what you've actually posted in other abortion threads, that'll likely be obvious to others.
Polls at DP are limited to just 10 options, which is way too few in number to accurately represent the reasons people post in the abortion threads. Thus the poll in this thread will be informal until the number of options is increased and an after-the-fact formal poll is added to this thread with precisely the options below.
The poll question: Why do you post in the abortion threads?
The poll options are as follows, and list as many in your answer-post as apply to you:
1. To present the facts and the truth they reveal leading to real resolution of the matter that benefits all and that both oppositions can truly embrace without changing their relevant values.
2. To convince posters on the opposite side that they are wrong so they will change their mind to my sideís perspective.
3. To convince casual readers who drop by these threads that my side is right and the opposite side is wrong.
4. To influence voters/politicians to support my side and reject my oppositionís side.
5. To in some way address and resolve my personally experienced issues resulting from having decided to/not to have an abortion.
6. Because I know someone who suffered as a result of deciding to/not to have an abortion.
7. To further my knowledge, skills, and personal growth.
8. Because this is a serious life-or-death matter for prenatals.
9. Because this is a serious life-or-death matter for women.
10. To argue for womenís rights, as Iím really afraid these rights are being compromised.
11. To argue for prenatalsí rights, as Iím really afraid their rights are being subverted.
12. Because this is a serious life-or-death matter for both women and prenatals.
13. To hide from really addressing my personally experienced issues with abortion.
14. To indirectly work out my unresolved family-of-origin issues.
15. Because I'm codependent, and I have a compulsive need to rescue others which I act out on rescuing women/prenatals.
16. Because I'm codependent, and regardless of what I really believe on this issue, if I speak out on this issue to suit someone I know then they won't attack/abandon me.
17. Because God/my religion influences me to post as I do.
18. Because I'm afraid the religious are trying to force their religious beliefs on me and others through this issue.
19. Because I'm a guy who just can't afford child-support payments from an unintended/unplanned pregancy she decides to keep.
20. Because regardless of whether the pregnancy was intended, I'm a guy who doesn't want his offspring killed should she decide to abort.
21. Because birth control really isn't reliable.
22. Because birth control containing progestin functions to kill prenatals and everyone needs to be warned about that.
23. Because abstinence must be practiced as the only right way to prevent unintended pregnancies.
24. To show I have so much more schooling than others and thus I am right and my opposition is wrong.
25. Because Iím naturally argumentative.
26. Because Iím a natural sophister and there is sooo much opportunity in this topic to practice sophistry.
27. Because I think itís wrong that women should ever have to be pregnant.
28. To control women into becoming my conservative male ďbreeding cattleĒ, no matter how that harms women.
29. To control women into complying with my liberal male ďfrack-and-kill freedomĒ, no matter how that harms women.
30. Because Iím a man who hates women telling me I have to be silent in this matter.
31. Because Iím a woman who hates men having any say in this matter.
32. Because Iím a man who hates women.
33. Because Iím a woman who hates men.
34. Because I'm bored and this topic is very stimulating.
35. Other (please specify).
Think about that for a second.
Anyways #2, #3, #7, #8, #11, #17, also #25 might have something to with it, finally #30 is worded bad for me but I do think that men should have at least a small say in the matter