Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 121 to 125 of 125

Thread: Dem debate 4/14/2016

  1. #121
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,754
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dem debate 4/14/2016

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    And thats how it should be- Bernie only does well in non-democratic caucuses anyway.
    The fact that Hillary does poorly in Open Primaries is something that the establishment should consider if Trump becomes the nominee. Bernie destroyed her in New Hampshire. In fact Bernie has won every open Primary unless I'm mis-remembering. Trump kills it in Open primaries so if it's Trump vs Hillary I think the Dems are going to be in for a nasty surprise.

  2. #122
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,260

    Re: Dem debate 4/14/2016

    Quote Originally Posted by FieldTheorist View Post


    Well, you can't have it both ways. He's currently doing better than she is in the national polls, and the reason for this is that the Democratic party isn't interested in absorbing young people into their party. Setting aside the fact that this is wildly stupid and shortsighted, it is making the very direct statement that they don't want young voters to get involved in the Democratic primary. It doesn't matter to them if these young people are liberal, progressive, or left-wing, which is what (ostensibly) should be sufficient to be a Democrat.

    (Of course, that's not what the Democratic party stands for nowadays.)

    I was referring to Rob's comment about last minute voters who sign up for the party- Ive heard many of them do that by switching at the last minute just to vote on a whim. I consider that on par with fakery and political manipulation.

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    The fact that Hillary does poorly in Open Primaries is something that the establishment should consider if Trump becomes the nominee. Bernie destroyed her in New Hampshire. In fact Bernie has won every open Primary unless I'm mis-remembering. Trump kills it in Open primaries so if it's Trump vs Hillary I think the Dems are going to be in for a nasty surprise.
    LOL Bernie did not win every open primary- thats a delusional statement. The only primary that he won as I recall was Michigan (but even then his delegate count was only slightly higher than what Hillary got) and his home state of Vermont.

  3. #123
    Professor
    FieldTheorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Seen
    02-22-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,400

    Re: Dem debate 4/14/2016

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    I was referring to Rob's comment about last minute voters who sign up for the party- Ive heard many of them do that by switching at the last minute just to vote on a whim. I consider that on par with fakery and political manipulation.
    Are they going to vote for that candidate in in the national election? If so, I think it's highly relevant. We live in a political system that's rigged for only two candidates from two parties. Why shouldn't independents help pick who they want to run, particularly if they are both the largest group of voters and they are deprived of any other opportunity? It's both bad for the party (because they are now required to have a substantial portion of Independents in order to secure the presidency) and it's bad for Independents' right to play a meaningful role in the American democracy.
    "The question is whether privileged elites should dominate mass-communication, and should use this power as they tell us they must, namely, [to] manipulate and deceive the stupid majority, and remove them from the public arena. The question, in brief, is whether Democracy and Freedom are values to be preserved or threats to be avoided." --Chomsky

  4. #124
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,260

    Re: Dem debate 4/14/2016

    Quote Originally Posted by FieldTheorist View Post
    Are they going to vote for that candidate in in the national election? If so, I think it's highly relevant. We live in a political system that's rigged for only two candidates from two parties. Why shouldn't independents help pick who they want to run, particularly if they are both the largest group of voters and they are deprived of any other opportunity? It's both bad for the party (because they are now required to have a substantial portion of Independents in order to secure the presidency) and it's bad for Independents' right to play a meaningful role in the American democracy.
    The dem nomination process should be decided by dems, not by independents. Same thing with the GOP nominations. If the independents want a say in another party's nominations then they shouldnt be registered as independents.

    Clinton Is Winning The States That Look Like The Democratic Party | FiveThirtyEight

  5. #125
    Professor
    FieldTheorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Seen
    02-22-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,400

    Re: Dem debate 4/14/2016

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    The dem nomination process should be decided by dems, not by independents. Same thing with the GOP nominations. If the independents want a say in another party's nominations then they shouldnt be registered as independents.

    Clinton Is Winning The States That Look Like The Democratic Party | FiveThirtyEight
    I'm not sure why you're bringing Hillary into this, but that's perfectly fine in my book --that rule can be enacted once political party's start agreeing to disenact the laws that make them the only games in town. For instance, make it reasonably possible for Independent politicians to get into national debates, enact runoff ballots, do campaign finance reform, and so on.

    But you can't write laws that literally finance and support the two party that keeps them the only games in town, AND have a Party-based purity test at the primary voting booth. That's just undemocratic and it's a facade for the rich and powerful maintaining their hegemony over the so-called democratic process.
    "The question is whether privileged elites should dominate mass-communication, and should use this power as they tell us they must, namely, [to] manipulate and deceive the stupid majority, and remove them from the public arena. The question, in brief, is whether Democracy and Freedom are values to be preserved or threats to be avoided." --Chomsky

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •