Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: OWS ~ The Progressive's Primary

  1. #21
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    31,909

    Re: OWS ~ The Progressive's Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    well, according to the OP, the OWS can be attributed with this, the promotion of the pubic debate...
    I think they've brought some things to the floor that were being ignored before basically. There is an OCCUPY Amendment that was introduced into congress by Rep. Ted Deutch that is an amendment to remove corporate person hood. Heard a lot of bitching about it before but no congressman doing much about it until the Occupy noise was made. Wealth disparity wasn't talked about near as much. There is also a bill introduced that reinstates Glass/Steagal Act since the OWS movement started. Not saying they did it but these kinds of things were not even anywhere near a newspaper until the occupy movement started making noise about them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac77 View Post
    Fox has plenty of political commentators already. Their job is to tell us what they think and what we should think
    MEIN COVFEFE!

  2. #22
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: OWS ~ The Progressive's Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I think they've brought some things to the floor that were being ignored before basically. There is an OCCUPY Amendment that was introduced into congress by Rep. Ted Deutch that is an amendment to remove corporate person hood. Heard a lot of bitching about it before but no congressman doing much about it until the Occupy noise was made. Wealth disparity wasn't talked about near as much. There is also a bill introduced that reinstates Glass/Steagal Act since the OWS movement started. Not saying they did it but these kinds of things were not even anywhere near a newspaper until the occupy movement started making noise about them.
    the bills to reinstate glass steagal came about before the OWS came along.... and Ted Deutch, the OWS, and anyone else that is opposed to corporate personhood are certifiable morons.
    i'll take lessons in racial sensitivity from David Duke before I entertain another mental midgets mindless yammerings about corporate personhood.

    the OWS certainly had the potential to engage the public in a productive debate... they have made some bad choices that have precluded that from happening to a substantial level... i'll give them props on the wealth disparity angle, though.... too bad it's largely been overshadowed by their other idiot demands and their shenanigans.

  3. #23
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: OWS ~ The Progressive's Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Yay! three pointless ad homs in a row that say nothing more than you guys are pooping your pants angry and can't express why. Way to enrich debate.

    I think this helps explain the fear expressed by some of the OWS protesters:

    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #24
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    74,825

    Re: OWS ~ The Progressive's Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Keridan View Post
    I support the process and have no problem with them providing a primary challenge, but do you really think that's good for the left wing as a whole? Right now the republican primaries are in-fighting and putting people off. That is a boon to your party. Does fragmenting the left wing help?
    You are wrong about the Republican primaries putting people off. This is a normal political process that people expect.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #25
    User USAMP1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    11-30-11 @ 03:16 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44

    Re: OWS ~ The Progressive's Primary

    Either statement is too general. The Republican in-fighting and pop-squating in Congress has certainly turned some people off. Others have conceeded to the ridiculous.

    Anyways, back to OWC... while I do give these people some props for actually caring and getting off their couch, it seems terribly misguided.
    Those people deserve an equal voice in government, but it's their strategy I question. You would think they would occupy Capitol Hill. Good God, there is where most the crooks are employed. Or occupy the ports (the trade with China), or the boarder with Mexico... that's where your jobs went. Go occupy your guidance office, the people that told you we should all have service-support jobs.
    Go occupy rehab. Most employeers have a drug-free policy. Go occupy a voter registration position. Go occupy your Congressman's inbox. There are thousands of better things to occupy than a park.
    "I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies. This is the dawning of the rest of our lives." -Billie Joe Armstrong

  6. #26
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: OWS ~ The Progressive's Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by USAMP1970 View Post
    Either statement is too general. The Republican in-fighting and pop-squating in Congress has certainly turned some people off. Others have conceeded to the ridiculous.

    Anyways, back to OWC... while I do give these people some props for actually caring and getting off their couch, it seems terribly misguided.
    Those people deserve an equal voice in government, but it's their strategy I question. You would think they would occupy Capitol Hill. Good God, there is where most the crooks are employed. Or occupy the ports (the trade with China), or the boarder with Mexico... that's where your jobs went. Go occupy your guidance office, the people that told you we should all have service-support jobs.
    Go occupy rehab. Most employeers have a drug-free policy. Go occupy a voter registration position. Go occupy your Congressman's inbox. There are thousands of better things to occupy than a park.
    It seems you misunderstand the mission of the OWS protesters. This may help:

    OWS Mission Statement

    "As we gather together in solidarity to express a feeling of mass injustice, we must not lose sight of what brought us together. We write so that all people who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world can know that we are your allies.

    As one people, united, we acknowledge the reality: that the future of the human race requires the cooperation of its members; that our system must protect our rights, and upon corruption of that system, it is up to the individuals to protect their own rights, and those of their neighbors; that a democratic government derives its just power from the people, but corporations do not seek consent to extract wealth from the people and the Earth; and that no true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power. We come to you at a time when corporations, which place profit over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality, run our governments.

    We have peaceably assembled here, as is our right, to let these facts be known."

    Read more here: Occupy Wall St. releases their mission statement… « The Devout Infidel
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #27
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,782

    Re: OWS ~ The Progressive's Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    It seems you misunderstand the mission of the OWS protesters. This may help:

    OWS Mission Statement

    "As we gather together in solidarity to express a feeling of mass injustice, we must not lose sight of what brought us together. We write so that all people who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world can know that we are your allies.

    As one people, united, we acknowledge the reality: that the future of the human race requires the cooperation of its members; that our system must protect our rights, and upon corruption of that system, it is up to the individuals to protect their own rights, and those of their neighbors; that a democratic government derives its just power from the people, but corporations do not seek consent to extract wealth from the people and the Earth; and that no true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power. We come to you at a time when corporations, which place profit over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality, run our governments.

    We have peaceably assembled here, as is our right, to let these facts be known."

    Read more here: Occupy Wall St. releases their mission statement… « The Devout Infidel
    blah, blah, blah...

    For the real mission, just look to the motives of those who are pulling the strings. Believe me, it's not this claptrap they put in their mission statement.
    TANSTAAFL

    “Certain types of loudmouthism should be a capital offense among decent people.” ― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

  8. #28
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: OWS ~ The Progressive's Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    blah, blah, blah...

    blah, blah, blah...........

    Thanks for your unsubstantiated opinion there anonymous internet guy!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •