• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Global warming scam?

I never said I was the intellectual... putting words in peoples mouth... does that work for you?

No, I said that I'm not a scientist, so I had to look into it for myself; I had done so and came to a conclusion. I wasn't trying to say I was any smarter than anyone else... but this one never really was up for debate, was it... I mean it seems the common thread is that it's a 'case closed' and there are so few areas of science that can get a 'case closed'... especially when we can't even predict weather next saturday with anything more than a lucky guess....

I never said that you said that... did I? ;)

I said that you seem to be the one portraying the Intellectual by your use of terms and such.
Just an observation of what is Ironic, not what is factual. Get over it.

You will never beat me in a debate regarding the usage of words... ever. Seriously. :2razz:

I never said that you said that... did I? ;)

I said that you seem to be the one portraying the Intellectual by your use of terms and such.
Just an observation of what is Ironic, not what is factual. Get over it.

You will never beat me in a debate regarding the usage of words... ever. Seriously. :2razz:

Trust me I noticed... I was just making the point that you, and others, must get dizzy with how much everything that's said gets spinned beyond the context.

But I'm done with digressing from the question : That both sides have series of debunked 'science' articles, studies, etc, that there is nothing conclusive. However, thinking critically... that real poisons are hurting the planet, and nothing in the 'green/environmental' politics is even aimed at these REAL concerns while seeming green.

In an attempt avoid this being taken out of context (AGAIN); even if the issue was 'we gotta reduce/eliminate all toxic elements from manufacturing; and other pollutants AT THE SAME TIME as reducing the excess PRODUCTION of Co2 (to avoid turning man into an environmental enemy merely by breathing)... then to have agressive forest replantation programs, etc, etc.' If ALL THESE issues, and not just CO2 were labelled by the environmental politics THEN I would have had no choice but to agree. BUT since it's only a fragment of the issue, to me at least, it's clear that this is just another issue that isn't as much aimed at 'solving' the problem, but rather 'perpetually controlling' the problem.

No more analogies, no more arguments, I'm done... the only other conclusion is that there is an abundance of estrogen in this argument... but since that wasn't at issue, have a good one...

Trust me I noticed... I was just making the point that you, and others, must get dizzy with how much everything that's said gets spinned beyond the context.

But I'm done with digressing from the question : That both sides have series of debunked 'science' articles, studies, etc, that there is nothing conclusive. However, thinking critically... that real poisons are hurting the planet, and nothing in the 'green/environmental' politics is even aimed at these REAL concerns while seeming green.
I'm sorry both sides have scientific articles that "debunk" the other side?
Show me a single paper from your side that says CO2 is not the culprit of modern day warming.

BmanMcfly said:
In an attempt avoid this being taken out of context (AGAIN); even if the issue was 'we gotta reduce/eliminate all toxic elements from manufacturing; and other pollutants AT THE SAME TIME as reducing the excess PRODUCTION of Co2 (to avoid turning man into an environmental enemy merely by breathing)... then to have agressive forest replantation programs, etc, etc.' If ALL THESE issues, and not just CO2 were labelled by the environmental politics THEN I would have had no choice but to agree. BUT since it's only a fragment of the issue, to me at least, it's clear that this is just another issue that isn't as much aimed at 'solving' the problem, but rather 'perpetually controlling' the problem.

No more analogies, no more arguments, I'm done... the only other conclusion is that there is an abundance of estrogen in this argument... but since that wasn't at issue, have a good one...
On this site, I've actually done the calculation for how much breathing man contributes to the atmosphere and you want to know what it equated to? The entire population came out to and rounded up to 5 coal burning power plants.

I'm sorry both sides have scientific articles that "debunk" the other side?
Show me a single paper from your side that says CO2 is not the culprit of modern day warming.

On this site, I've actually done the calculation for how much breathing man contributes to the atmosphere and you want to know what it equated to? The entire population came out to and rounded up to 5 coal burning power plants.

well, we better shut down all 5 of them...:lol:
Many hours I have watched, and watched again, the discovery channel, science channel, national geogrpahic channel, NOVA, etc. about this issue, and this much is clear...there are no simple, single causes or solutions to any of our environmental issues.
I am in favor of shutting down older dirty coal plants and replacing them with nukes, and also in favor of using a lot less oil, and not just for environmental reasons. But it won't happen overnight. The last president to urge us in the right direction on environmental issues was Jimmy Carter, and I hope that the next president repeats the call and this time doesn't let opportunity slip away just because oil gets cheap again...

Sorry, Jfuh, in a previous post I posted a series of articles that went into the factors that caused the recent warming; that stellar and solar influences have 'Influenced' the recent climate changes. I really am done with this debate; it's guaranteed to remain a stalemate.

Many hours I have watched, and watched again, the discovery channel, science channel, national geogrpahic channel, NOVA, etc. about this issue, and this much is clear...there are no simple, single causes or solutions to any of our environmental issues.

Just about the mainstream sources, there are 6 primary companies that control the VAST majority of media sources. Given that there is the agenda to push 'environmentalism' in order to gain further control over the population; can be stated as 'since this is a politicized issue if there are studies that show less impact from global warming it won't sell (be as interesting to viewers, whatever) as well, and might hurt investors/advertisers sprouting from this 'green' movement.'

However, I do agree with you, that there is no single cause or solution to thiese issues.

I am in favor of shutting down older dirty coal plants and replacing them with nukes, and also in favor of using a lot less oil, and not just for environmental reasons. But it won't happen overnight. The last president to urge us in the right direction on environmental issues was Jimmy Carter, and I hope that the next president repeats the call and this time doesn't let opportunity slip away just because oil gets cheap again...

I feel quite similarly to this; except first, let's not call them 'reniewable' and 'non-reniewable' ressources... that alone is misleading. "Unlimited energy sources" and 'Consumable energy sources' would be more adequate when searching for a solution to energy needs.

There exists the technology to render powerplants (coal, oil, gas and nuclear) useless as it stands; windfarms, solar power, 'magnetically powered generators', tidal generators, and likely many others that have been discovered by military and as yet classified or withheld from public for whatever reasons. (This is not an issue that's debateable, the debate would be HOW MUCH MORE advanced is the military tech relative to public tech.) And no, these changes take time, I mean if you're going to replace the way we get electricity, it would have to be done as a 'weaning' process. I'm not saying nuclear is bad, it is clean, but the issue is with the waste, and the potential hazards of malfunction (as rare as that may be).

That's just issues dealing with electricity, which is still in a simplified state. Then you can get into the toxicity of products /packaging we consume, construction techniques, materials, city layouts. Then, we can look at the way we pull ressources out of the ground, we could also look to the pulp&paper industry... each one will have challenges to reduce the toxicty (either to humans or to the environment), could also reopen the debate on GMO foods regain control of what is modified, how it is modified, to what extent and for what purpose, etc.

Politicians will only tip-toe around solutions such as these; but when a 'blanket issue' like Co2 comes up, then it's easy to come up with the solution 'ok, let's tax co2, get people to stop using it... (without thinking that human breath is a co2 producer... something that you can't forget when talking a Co2 tax.)

Sorry, Jfuh, in a previous post I posted a series of articles that went into the factors that caused the recent warming; that stellar and solar influences have 'Influenced' the recent climate changes. I really am done with this debate; it's guaranteed to remain a stalemate.

Just about the mainstream sources, there are 6 primary companies that control the VAST majority of media sources. Given that there is the agenda to push 'environmentalism' in order to gain further control over the population; can be stated as 'since this is a politicized issue if there are studies that show less impact from global warming it won't sell (be as interesting to viewers, whatever) as well, and might hurt investors/advertisers sprouting from this 'green' movement.'

However, I do agree with you, that there is no single cause or solution to thiese issues.

I feel quite similarly to this; except first, let's not call them 'reniewable' and 'non-reniewable' ressources... that alone is misleading. "Unlimited energy sources" and 'Consumable energy sources' would be more adequate when searching for a solution to energy needs.

There exists the technology to render powerplants (coal, oil, gas and nuclear) useless as it stands; windfarms, solar power, 'magnetically powered generators', tidal generators, and likely many others that have been discovered by military and as yet classified or withheld from public for whatever reasons. (This is not an issue that's debateable, the debate would be HOW MUCH MORE advanced is the military tech relative to public tech.) And no, these changes take time, I mean if you're going to replace the way we get electricity, it would have to be done as a 'weaning' process. I'm not saying nuclear is bad, it is clean, but the issue is with the waste, and the potential hazards of malfunction (as rare as that may be).

That's just issues dealing with electricity, which is still in a simplified state. Then you can get into the toxicity of products /packaging we consume, construction techniques, materials, city layouts. Then, we can look at the way we pull ressources out of the ground, we could also look to the pulp&paper industry... each one will have challenges to reduce the toxicty (either to humans or to the environment), could also reopen the debate on GMO foods regain control of what is modified, how it is modified, to what extent and for what purpose, etc.

Politicians will only tip-toe around solutions such as these; but when a 'blanket issue' like Co2 comes up, then it's easy to come up with the solution 'ok, let's tax co2, get people to stop using it... (without thinking that human breath is a co2 producer... something that you can't forget when talking a Co2 tax.)

except for the tin hat issues of media and secret military technology, you are making some sense. If the military has any such technology, it is far too expensive for public use. And the media is just a flock of parrots, most of us know that by now.

jfuh said:

OK

Quantitative implications of the secondary role of carbon dioxide climate forcing in the past glacial-interglacial cycles for the likely future climatic impacts of anthropogenic greenhouse-gas

A review of the recent refereed literature fails to confirm quantitatively that carbon dioxide (CO2) radiative forcing was the prime mover in the changes in temperature, ice-sheet volume, and related climatic variables in the glacial and interglacial periods of the past 650,000 years, even under the "fast response" framework where the convenient if artificial distinction between forcing and feedback is assumed. Atmospheric CO2 variations generally follow changes in temperature and other climatic variables rather than preceding them. Likewise, there is no confirmation of the often-posited significant supporting role of methane (CH4) forcing, which despite its faster atmospheric response time is simply too small, amounting to less than 0.2 W/m2 from a change of 400 ppb. We cannot quantitatively validate the numerous qualitative suggestions that the CO2 and CH4 forcings that occurred in response to the Milankovich orbital cycles accounted for more than half of the amplitude of the changes in the glacial/interglacial cycles of global temperature, sea level, and ice volume. Consequently, we infer that natural climatic variability notably the persistence of insolation forcing at key seasons and geographical locations, taken with closely-related thermal, hydrological, and cryospheric changes (such as the water vapor, cloud, and ice-albedo feedbacks) suffices in se to explain the proxy-derived, global and regional, climatic and environmental phase-transitions in the paleoclimate. If so, it may be appropriate to place anthropogenic greenhouse-gas emissions in context by separating their medium-term climatic impacts from those of a host of natural forcings and feedbacks that may, as in paleoclimatological times, prove just as significant.

Can increasing carbon dioxide cause climate change?

The realistic physical functioning of the greenhouse effect is reviewed, and the role of dynamic transport and water vapor is identified. Model errors and uncertainties are quantitatively compared with the forcing due to doubling CO2, and they are shown to be too large for reliable model evaluations of climate sensitivities.

Falsification Of The Atmospheric CO2 Greenhouse Effects Within The Frame Of Physics

The atmospheric greenhouse effect, an idea that authors trace back to the traditional works of Fourier 1824, Tyndall 1861, and Arrhenius 1896, and which is still supported in global climatology, essentially describes a fictitious mechanism, in which a planetary atmosphere acts as a heat pump driven by an environment that is radiatively interacting with but radiatively equilibrated to the atmospheric system. According to the second law of thermodynamics such a planetary machine can never exist. Nevertheless, in almost all texts of global climatology and in a widespread secondary literature it is taken for granted that such mechanism is real and stands on a firm scientific foundation.

Industrial CO2 emissions as a proxy for anthropogenic influence on lower tropospheric temperature trends

Furthermore, temperature trends for the regions not spatially correlated with these CO2 emissions are considerably smaller or even negligible for some of the satellite data. We also show, using the same measure, that two important climate models do not reproduce the geographical climate response to all known forcings as found in the observed temperature trends. We speculate that the observed surface temperature changes might be a result of local surface heating processes and not related to radiative greenhouse gas forcing.

Modeling climatic effects of anthropogenic carbon dioxide emissions: unknowns and uncertainties

Such uncritical application of climate models has led to the commonly held but erroneous impression that modeling has proven or substantiated the hypothesis that CO2 added to the air has caused or will cause significant global warming. An assessment of the merits of GCMs and their use in suggesting a discernible human influence on global climate can be found in the joint World Meteorological Organisation and United Nations Environmental Programme’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reports (1990, 1995 and the upcoming 2001 report). Our review highlights only the enormous scientific difficulties facing the calculation of climatic effects of added atmospheric CO2 in a GCM.

Multi-scale analysis of global temperature changes and trend of a drop in temperature in the next 20 years

The dominant contribution of CO2 concentration to global temperature variation is the trend. However, its influence weight on global temperature variation accounts for no more than 40.19%, smaller than those of the natural climate changes on the rest four timescales. Despite the increasing trend in atmospheric CO2 concentration, the patterns of 20-year and 60-year oscillation of global temperature are all in falling. Therefore, if CO2 concentration remains constant at present, the CO2 greenhouse effect will be deficient in counterchecking the natural cooling of global climate in the following 20 years. Even though the CO2 greenhouse effect on global climate change is unsuspicious, it could have been excessively exaggerated. It is high time to re-consider the trend of global climate changes.

Phanerozoic Climatic Zones and Paleogeography with a Consideration of Atmospheric CO2 Levels

Compilation of climatically sensitive deposits (chiefly evaporites, calcretes, coals, bauxites, kaolins and kaolinites, tillites, dropstones, glendonites and cool-water marine sediments, palms, as well as crocodilians etc.) through twenty-seven Phanerozoic time intervals enables one to revise the contemporary paleogeography in a manner consistent with the climatic information. We also take account of some of the available biogeographic information. Comparison of the changing Phanerozoic global climatic gradients based on geological evidence with the previously published models of Phanerozoic atmospheric CO2 based on geochemical assumptions indicates that either the assumptions on which the geochemical models are based are erroneous or that atmospheric CO2 is not a greenhouse gas.

The Continuing Search for an Anthropogenic Climate Change Signal: Limitations of Correlation-Based Approaches

Several recent studies claim to have found evidence of large-scale climate changes that were attributed to human influences. These assertions are based on increases in correlation over time between general circulation model prognostications and observations as derived from a centred pattern correlation statistic. We argue that the results of such studies are inappropriate because of limitations and biases in these statistics which leads us to conclude that the results of many studies employing these statistics may be erroneous and, in fact, show little evidence of a human fingerprint in the observed records.

Let me know when you're ready for more.

Last edited:
except for the tin hat issues of media and secret military technology, you are making some sense. If the military has any such technology, it is far too expensive for public use. And the media is just a flock of parrots, most of us know that by now.

I did explain it in terms that doesn't require 'conspiracy' in the sense of people getting together to discuss what ideas to show or not... but more the financial motivations for the 'lack of balance' when presenting such issues.
And, yes, I was assuming that military had harnessed technology thought up by Nikola Tesla (wireless electricity, teleportation, etc). I was mainly trying to show that there are sources of energy that are at or near 'zero-point' that could be developped and harnessed that could avoid 'risking' nuclear energy.

That there are no simple solutions, I completely agree, that there is no simple cause I partially agree because for AGW, it's a lot more than simply the automobile, however no matter how you cut it, the combustion of fossil fuels is a HUGE factor.
My sources are not discovery, science channel national geographic nova or any of the popular mediums, but rather Nature, Science and various other hardcore scientific mediums which all arrive at the same 500gigaton gorrilla sitting in the corner of the room - carbon dioxide from fossil fuels.
IN fact as you and I have gone back and forth, there need to be significant changes to the entire mentality of modern day living and transportation.
The whole " we need to get off oil" mentality ironically started with Nixon and I agree, Carter had the right idea, and was mocked for it - today we are paying that price, literally.

OK
Let me know when you're ready for more.
1. Key words are "past interglacial" So again, nothing to refute current AGW
2. Makes absolutely 0 mention whatsoever about AGW being wrong but goes into the measurement of and
from gill's source said:
It is further noted that the common assertion that even small changes in mean temperature can lead to major changes in climate distribution is ill-founded and, likely, wrong.
An error you are making from the 5 year minimal decreases in temperature. Your own source completely refutes your claims.

3. absurd article that has not been published through any scientific medium via peer review - about as valid you writing on this site.

4. Doesn't say a damn thing about AGW being false and infact says just the opposite in the first part you dishonestly ommitted.
Gills source which he claims repudiates AGW said:
Surface temperature trends during the last two decades show a significant increase which appears to be anthropogenic in origin. We investigate global temperature changes using surface as well as satellite measurements and show that lower tropospheric temperature trends for the period 1979–2001 are spatially correlated to anthropogenic surface CO2 emissions, which we use as a measure of industrialization.

5. Wow, again ommission from the very same source you cited
gill's source which he claims disproves AGW said:
Our review highlights only the enormous scientific difficulties facing the calculation
of climatic effects of added atmospheric CO2 in a GCM. The purpose of such a limited review of the deficiencies of climate model physics and the use of GCMs is to illuminate areas for improvement.
Our review does not disprove a significant anthropogenic influence on global climate.

6. Did you even bother to read your own quote??
Even though the CO2 greenhouse effect on global climate change is unsuspicious, it could have been excessively exaggerated.
THere is again no countering of AGW.

7. Again lying by ommission, you quoted most of the abstract but left out this very last phrase. I will now quote the abstract in it's entirety.
[FONT=Times,Times New Roman]Abstract—Compilation of climatically sensitive deposits (chiefly evaporites, calcretes, coals, bauxites, kaolins and kaolinites, tillites, dropstones, glendonites and cool-water marine sediments, palms, as well as crocodilians etc.)
through twenty-seven Phanerozoic time intervals enables one to revise the contemporary paleogeography in a manner consistent with the climatic information. We also take account of some of the available biogeographic
information. Comparison of the changing Phanerozoic global climatic gradients based on geological evidence with the previously published models of Phanerozoic atmospheric CO2 based on geochemical assumptions indicates that either the assumptions on which the geochemical models are based are erroneous or that atmo-spheric CO2 is not a greenhouse gas. We prefer the former possibility.

8. I will need to read the rest of the article. But so far you're 0 for 7 - one article isn't even an article and the other 6 you lied by ommission and only presented part of the picture, often times in the abstract dishonestly ommitting key words. I've little doubt that you're doing the same with the 8th source as the abstract is dealing with the method in which the models were derived and not with the conclusions of these models. I will certainly have more after I get the article through a University account.

However so far you have been shown to be highly dishonest and lying by ommission. Did you even bother to look at those sources yourself before you posted? Or did you simply google for something on heartland institute and just cut and paste?
[/FONT]

I did explain it in terms that doesn't require 'conspiracy' in the sense of people getting together to discuss what ideas to show or not... but more the financial motivations for the 'lack of balance' when presenting such issues.
And, yes, I was assuming that military had harnessed technology thought up by Nikola Tesla (wireless electricity, teleportation, etc). I was mainly trying to show that there are sources of energy that are at or near 'zero-point' that could be developped and harnessed that could avoid 'risking' nuclear energy.
Tesla has one or 2 good ideas and somehow all his ideas are credible? Sorry, there are no magic beans available.

I think that, quite simply, the greater villain is growth. No matter how green you are, no system based on growth can last indefinitely on a finite planet. At some point, that system will hit its limit, and if growth is required for it to exist, that system will collapse. Any solutions that do not address that will only provide us with temporary relief.

I think that, quite simply, the greater villain is growth. No matter how green you are, no system based on growth can last indefinitely on a finite planet. At some point, that system will hit its limit, and if growth is required for it to exist, that system will collapse. Any solutions that do not address that will only provide us with temporary relief.

agree, but education could help a lot. I hate to think that we must brainwash and propagandize our children, but if it can get us to be less wasteful and therefore less polluting, I would go for it.
That would be useful in developed countries, but how do you get the starving masses in 3rd world countries to use birth control? The urge to have sex is as strong as the urge to eat.
Long time ago, I read that India, or some place near it, was giving out transistor radios to any man who would have a vasectomy. Don't think that would work today, tho.

Which experts?? Mine or yours?? We don't know...

It's apparent you don't know. The rest of us aren't so confused.

I doubt you're much more of a scientific mind than I am, but in all this the only CONCRETE thing we can agree on is that MORE RESEARCH is needed to solve the discrepencies in climate change theory.

What discrepancies?

Except that I looked at this from both sides

Really? You've actually read all the links I posted in this thread?: http://www.debatepolitics.com/Environment/37809-anthropogenic-global-warming-101-a.html

Paying particular attention to the videos in the second post?

and the politicization of the climate change debate shows ME that this is part of a political agenda (aka a BS issue to get society to accept a worse situation)

Interesting. The politicization of AGW shows to me that there's quite a bit of money at stake for the industries involved; not that AGW is a bunk theory.

Let's take a simple ex : a humid city vs a dry city. In a humid city blah blah blah...

Look, if water vapor were a forcing, the endless cycle of evaporation and warming (71% of the Earth's surface is water) would have rendered this planet a barren rock eons ago.

He also states he's not a climate scientist. Obviously, he must know better than NASA, NOAA, the EPA, the AGU, the AIP, etc. :rofl

It doesn't mean you have to deny... but having CO2 as a red herring keeps many well intentioned people from getting into the REAL issues... because you will say 'I cut my Co2 footprint by 20%, I did my part.' When all the areas causing REAL environmental damage are allowed to continue unaffected by 'environmentalism.'

It's not a red herring if it's real. Good try, though.

What have the proposed solutions been??
- Cap and trade : where nothing is reduced, just those under the cap sell their slack to those above the cap.
- Carbon tax : Make all travel more expensive so that people won't travel as much, but rather stay in the confines of the city in which they live.

Don't care. I'm not talking about solutions.

Also, how can we debate solutions when the problem is still 'debateable'...

Exactly. And that's why skeptics are so interesting in keeping the discussion in the "debate" phase. Just like when the dangers of tobacco were coming out.

So we've gone from denying 'extra-earthbound' factors to acknowleging their effect??

I wasn't deny solar forcing. I just said it didn't account for the current warming. You do understand the difference, yes?

I mean, if the farmers almanac indicates a warming trend based on all factors and then you say 'well, yes it's all factors, but Co2 is still a culprit'... can you see the sidestep in logic??

It wouldn't be "all factors" if it didn't include CO2.

Again, you're spinning what I said out of context... I said that humans CAN cause REAL environmental damage... but IF humans are affecting the CLIMATE that the culprit is not going to be the NUTRIENT of CO2 but RATHER a REAL pollutant or combination.

CO2 is nutritious? Put a bag over your head and breathe deep (don't do this alone). Lemme know how you feel after.

I maintain that CO2 is the red herring preventing a REAL environmental movement from stopping those that are causing REAL environmental damage from their 'business as usual'.

So... where exactly is your disconnect with AGW? Are you not convinced of the radiative properties of CO2; that it's a greenhouse gas? Are you not convinced that CO2 levels have been increasing?

Yes, Immune.

And scientific studies saying such? Or just propaganda from the hippies at Greenpeace?

But, are you proposing that IAVD is CAUSED by GMO food??

No. :shock: Where the hell did you get that idea?

Environmental factors; herbicide, over-production, over-breeding, orver-pollinating, the stain caused by GMO foods, were all factors as I said earlier...

Actually, it was stressors from a severe winter. Glad to see you actually read my article. :roll:

Well, just so you know, 'an inconvenient truth' in the UK must now legally begin with a warning about the bias contained in the film.
UK Court : Schools Must Warn of Bias in 'An Inconvenient Truth' | NewsBusters.org

And just so you know, TGGWS was found by Ofcom, the UK media regulator, to be unfair to the IPCC, David King, and Carl Wunsch and breached a requirement of impartiality about global warming policy.

But you knew that, right? Since you've looked at "both sides".

I think you're confusing 'conspiracy' with a 'David Icke' type of conspiracy (who believes that the world is controlled by 'blood-drinking shape shifting humanoid reptiles'... now THAT is a wild over-blown conspiracy that you are talking about... not this evidenced, announced, and acted upon conspiracy that I'm talking about that is no less than 30 years old)

Riiiiiight.... Because the idea that lizards are controlling the government is just looney, but the idea that Algore and the Club of Rome have infiltrated and not control the entire scientific community is perfectly sane and rational. :rofl

Yes, because noone has adequately addressed the lag issue except by twisting logic.

How exactly does this explanation "twist logic?"

Again, I showed about 10 sources 'peer-reviewed' at your request saying that the climate is controlled by the sun and cloud cover more than CO2.

Ten sources that you admitted you didn't even read.

"The ENTIRE scientific community"????

YES. I'll repeat: no remaining scientific body of national or international standing is known to reject the basic findings of human influence on recent climate.

Who was the one using 'propaganda' again???

You. I was citing actual studies and science. You were citing a bogus documentary.

Not so long ago, you called me stupid for saying that the sun had an effect on climate....

I wasn't deny solar forcing. I just said it didn't account for the current warming. You do understand the difference, yes?

I don't remember calling you stupid...

There are articles debunking your debunking articles as well... and likely debunkers on the AGW side are working on those debunks at this time.

And when NASA, NOAA, etc. reverse there stance, you can remind us all how you were just like Galileo.

The Debate is NOT OVER in spite of 'claiming victory'...

Spoken like a true creationist. er, wait... what established scientific theory are you trying to debunk again? All these skeptic arguments look the same to me.

much like we 'claimed victory' in Iraq what 3-4 years ago now?? and there are still soldiers dying??

Wow. ADD much?

just cause AGW supporters claim 'consensus' doesn't make it so...

You're right. As luck would have it, we have evidence to back up that statement.

Sorry, no specific page numbers, even tho I've found others too

I didn't think you'd actually read it, merely relying on ridiculous conspiracy theory sites.

And the other dozen or so scientists in the documentary?

I've been over this: http://www.debatepolitics.com/Envir...enic-global-warming-101-a.html#post1057766593

Pay attention.

Let's use the example of 9-11... NIST was government funded and when a scietntist asked the 'wrong questions' he was fired. Here... So, given that; and the 'lack' of consensus on the issue... who's to say that hasn't happened at the IPCC??

Yes! I knew you were a 9/11 Twoofer, too! :mrgreen:

Show me something with measurements and actual data.

Done.

People often wonder why the planet didn’t warm from 1944 to 1975. Denialists often say that the planet actually cooled for 30 years or more, but this is simply not so; the cooling was confined to a brief period (about 1944 to 1951), followed by relative stability for several decades. But the question remains, with man-made CO2 (and other greenhouse gases) in the atmosphere, why did the planet not warm for several decades mid-century?

The answer is that during that time, the warming from man-made greenhouse gases was offset by the cooling from man-made aerosols. Aerosols are tiny particles which remain suspended in the atmosphere for several days to weeks if they’re in the troposphere (the lower part of earth’s atmosphere), or several years if they’re in the stratosphere (the upper part of earth’s atmosphere). They tend to block incoming sunlight from reaching earth, thereby cooling earth’s climate.

. . .

NASA GISS, in addition to estimating global average temperature, also estimates average temperature separately for the two hemispheres. In an earlier post I showed the difference between the hemispheres, based on data for land-only stations in the two hemispheres. Here’s the temperature evolution of the two hemispheres using both land and ocean data (northern hemisphere in red, southern in blue):

hemis.jpg

The “smooth” versions show that while the northern hemisphere did indeed cool for several decades mid-century, the southern hemisphere did not — exactly what we would expect from sulfate-aerosol forcing.

Glad I could help.

Done.

Glad I could help.
Gill is only going to ignore that because his argument is only from 2002 through 2007. Which he claims completely debunks 100+ years of warming.

Done.

Glad I could help.

Ahh yes, good old Tamino. When did Tamino's blog get published in a peer reviewed publication??

Come back when you have some actual proof from a reputable source, preferably peer reviewed. This is the usual crap that Tamino puts out there, long on maybes and short on data.

By the way, don't you even realize that all of the current global warming is occurring in the northern hemisphere? That's right, no warming has been found in the southern hemisphere. Those pesky aerosols must have migrated south.

Last edited:
Ahh yes, good old Tamino. When did Tamino's blog get published in a peer reviewed publication?? Come back when you have some actual proof from a reputable source, preferably peer reviewed. This is the usual crap that Tamino puts out there, long on maybes and short on data.
OHHH, so NOW you agree finally that it IS a requirement to be published in peer review article to count as credible scientific evidence for or against?
Well then plz still waiting on you to present a single paper that refutes AGW.

Gill said:
By the way, don't you even realize that all of the current global warming is occurring in the northern hemisphere? That's right, no warming has been found in the southern hemisphere. Those pesky aerosols must have migrated south.
That must be why it's called GLOBAL warming and not Northen hemisphere warming.
But to answer, might have something to do with the fact that the earth's land masses (less circulation) are mostly on the northern hemisphere where as the southern hemisphere is mostly oceanic (circulation by ocean current).
But then again, what's happening to Antarctic ice shelfs? Similarity with Greenland and arctic ice by any chance?

OHHH, so NOW you agree finally that it IS a requirement to be published in peer review article to count as credible scientific evidence for or against?

Yes, but only when it's one our our sources. It's a rule.

Accusation: "Because of X, Y and Z, you are wrong"
Response: If they fail to call you an idiot, there are a few ways to respond to this. Either nitpick an aspect of their argument so that you can ignore the rest while diverting the discussion into a meaningless tangent. Or cut and paste large sections of print or references to papers that may or may not agree with you (the exhaustion strategy). Finally, it's always a good idea to just ignore them and restate your original argument. Alternatively demand they provide you with *scientific* evidence that their theory is the correct one. If they do, ignore it and restate your original argument.

Yes, but only when it's one our our sources. It's a rule.
Actually I share the sentiment no matter who's source it is.
When it comes to ANY scientific concept, if you are to present an idea that is scientifically established fact it shouldn't be difficult to back it up with a peer reviewed publication that supports just such a fact.
In retrospect your source actually backs up his opinion and writing with actual scientific peer reviewed original research and does not lie about it through omission in the way that Gill did here and got embarrassingly caught for doing here.
But I agree with your sentiment, not only limited to gill, all of the deniars always post from a blog source or opinion article that is never supported by any scientific original research, Then bitch and complain of the evil conspiracy of liberal universities or researchers seeking funding.

Riiiiiight.... Because the idea that lizards are controlling the government is just looney, but the idea that Algore and the Club of Rome have infiltrated and not control the entire scientific community is perfectly sane and rational. :rofl

Yes; one is verifiable, known, published, the people real, their affiliations public information. I didn't say they 'Controlled' in the sense that you are thinking... but a catastrophic outlook caused by global warming will 'sell' better than to give a more accurate outlook (The earth will warm, then will cool down again for a while, and eventually will come back to another warm period like it's done for millions of years and like it will do for millions of years to come). When an issue is politicized science, there is also 'political pressures' to find a study that will promote the idea. This is NOT conspiracy, this is the system and how business works.

Again, like the FDA... you can't say there is a conspiracy between FDA and big pharma companies that create 'synthetic' drugs. The procedure involved with the safety studies assures that big pharma will not produce 'organic' medicines because the product cannot be patented; and the FDA will not pass drugs without this testing. These companies however will synthesize organic medicines and then get the testing done because then they can sell for a better price than an organic medicine that cannot be 'owned'.

It's not a consipiracy, it's the way business works. The club of rome, only takes advantage of the way business works...

Whereas, David Icke's theories are quite rediculous in that there isn't any real EVIDENCE of this (except maybe through his view of the world).

How exactly does this explanation "twist logic?"

Nothing, because it actually represents a balanced viewpoint.

Models suggest that rising greenhouse gases, including CO2, explains about 40% of the warming as the ice ages ended.

So admittedly there are other factors to climate change.... Something I've stated repeatedly.

Ten sources that you admitted you didn't even read.
No, that I read just enough to verify its relevance... small difference.

YES. I'll repeat: no remaining scientific body of national or international standing is known to reject the basic findings of human influence on recent climate.

What about these guys?? Global Warming Science and Public Policy - Personnel

I did find
sunspot.gif
rather interesting... seeing as we are about at the minimum and then I come across an article like this.

And when NASA, NOAA, etc. reverse there stance, you can remind us all how you were just like Galileo.
NASA - Top Story - NASA STUDY FINDS INCREASING SOLAR TREND THAT CAN CHANGE CLIMATE - March 20, 2003 ?
Even though it's not quite a reversal, you can see the correlation for yourself... and admitted that the affect was noted, but the degree of it's effect is uncertain as of yet.
So, even NASA agrees that further study is needed... or was I just imagining that?

Spoken like a true creationist. er, wait... what established scientific theory are you trying to debunk again? All these skeptic arguments look the same to me.

No, you forget that it's the creationists that say the 'debate is over'... 'God (IPCC for argument) said it, I believe it, end of discussion' is a 'creationist' argument.

Good attempt.

You're right. As luck would have it, we have evidence to back up that statement.

LMAO at your 'consensus' page... There is even argument on this 'consenus' on this page... 4 pages worth.

I didn't think you'd actually read it, merely relying on ridiculous conspiracy theory sites.

So now when I hear a quote I must have read the book from which it came to count?? Rather than taking sections from the book quoted at length to avoid being 'taken out of context' and left to the reader to figure the implications.

Let me guess; you believe that the 'Council on Foreign Relations' is a conspiracy theory too?? That the Federal reserve is run by the same families that have run it from the start, that must be a conspiracy too? Look, just because you're uncomfortable accepting certain ideas doesn't mean that it is conspiracy... especially when talking about verifiable organizations?

I've been over this: http://www.debatepolitics.com/Envir...enic-global-warming-101-a.html#post1057766593

Pay attention.[/QUOTE]

It's apparent you don't know. The rest of us aren't so confused.

Well, it's easy to avoid confusion when you refuse to acknowledge that politicization of science isn't going to produce 'unbiased' results.

What discrepancies?
That CO2 doesn't FULLY explain global warming historically... yes, the lag time is important. That CO2 has grown due to human production doesn't mean that CO2 will then 'drive' the environment... with the reduction in solar activity the past 2 years, it's no wonder that they've had snow in kenya.... when by the logic of AGW the earth should still be warming...

Oh wait, the sun doesn't have an important affect on climate...

Really? You've actually read all the links I posted in this thread?: http://www.debatepolitics.com/Environment/37809-anthropogenic-global-warming-101-a.html

Paying particular attention to the videos in the second post?

Except for the various links from which I wouldn't have been able to source for various reasons : blogs, lack of peer review, etc...

I think I've determined where this argument is stemming from
1. CO2 absorbs infrared radiation.
2. Infrared radiation is reflected upwards from the surface of the Earth.
3. CO2 is produced by the burning of coal, oil, natural gas, wood, ethanol, and biodiesel.
4. We burn a lot of these carbon-rich fuels by oxidizing them.
5. CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere are measurably increasing.
6. Oxygen concentrations in the atmosphere are measurably decreasing.
7. Globally, average temperatures are observed to be increasing.
8. Therefore, based on #1-7, the increase in CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere is causing the increase in temperature.

BUT it's all based on the assumption of a stable 'input' of heat... which the sun is not... remember even NASA now says there's an effect (although not the extent of it).
So, as the sun's effect goes through another minimum, then there will be a reduction in energy getting to the earth, to be trapped by the greenhouse gases. Now, Let's say this cycle has a few years before it hits a 'high' again, in that time cooler temperatures will mean the oceans will absorb more co2 (which will still be artificially higher).

Oh wait, the sun's affecting our global temperature... that's a conspiracy theory.

Interesting. The politicization of AGW shows to me that there's quite a bit of money at stake for the industries involved; not that AGW is a bunk theory.

Right, there's alot of money at stake, because it's not too often you get a chance to condition people to be taxed on EVERYTHING in the name of carbon, including exhalation.

Look, if water vapor were a forcing, the endless cycle of evaporation and warming (71% of the Earth's surface is water) would have rendered this planet a barren rock eons ago.

No, water isn't a 'forcing agent' I didn't mean to imply that... I was stating that water vapour is a greenhouse gas that is more abundant than co2. The forcing agent is the sun... without the sun there would be no energy to heat the atmosphere.

It's not a red herring if it's real. Good try, though.

It IS a red herring if it's real, but is being used to keep you away from looking at other MORE IMPORTANT environmental issues.

Don't care. I'm not talking about solutions.
I guess you'd rather wait for government to tell you that 'to protect the environment' you'll have to pay a 'carbon tax' based on : vehicle, furnace, hot water heat + the amount of co2 you realease by exhalation.

Exactly. And that's why skeptics are so interesting in keeping the discussion in the "debate" phase. Just like when the dangers of tobacco were coming out.

The skeptics also argue that a 'warm earth' is preferable to a 'cool climate' for agriculture, etc... but that there is massive deforestation going on there are fewer trees to absorb more CO2... by blaming the civilian driving around too much is an oversimplification that leads to stupid ideas that solve nothing, like carbon taxes or 'cap and trade' ideas that solve NOTHING.

The difference between this issue and the issue of tobacco was that the tobacco companies had direct vested interest; it was putting at risk a highly addictive product whose users fought tooth and nail to keep using

The sun is the ONLY FORCING agent; if not for the sun there is no 'greenhouse effect'.

CO2 is nutritious? Put a bag over your head and breathe deep (don't do this alone). Lemme know how you feel after.

Are you serious?? Do I really need to explain the 'carbon cycle' to someone that is clearly educated like yourself??

I'll do it anyway O2 -> carbon based animal exhales = CO2 -> trees exhale = O2. So, yes it's a nutrient.

So... where exactly is your disconnect with AGW? Are you not convinced of the radiative properties of CO2; that it's a greenhouse gas? Are you not convinced that CO2 levels have been increasing?

The disconnect is the simplification for political purposes, the AGENDA attached to global warming. When there are more urgent issues to be dealt with affecting the environment and ecosystem of the planet.

Yes! I knew you were a 9/11 Twoofer, too! :mrgreen:

No, I actually believe that 19 hijackers from a cave in afghanistan hijacked 4 planes, and circumvented NORAD for long enough to hit 3 out of 4 targets, and that the jetfuel melted the structure enough to cause total collapse into it's own footprints, and also that day small fires and 'unusual magnetic forces' in column number 47 of WTC7 caused that building to collapse completely into its own foot-print.

NIST is based on sound science, and they made sure to fire any scientist that started asking questions that 'defied science' by suggestion that explosives seem to have been in the buildings...

Last edited:

Again, like the FDA... you can't say there is a conspiracy between FDA and big pharma companies that create 'synthetic' drugs. The procedure involved with the safety studies assures that big pharma will not produce 'organic' medicines because the product cannot be patented; and the FDA will not pass drugs without this testing. These companies however will synthesize organic medicines and then get the testing done because then they can sell for a better price than an organic medicine that cannot be 'owned'.

No, I actually believe that 19 hijackers from a cave in afghanistan hijacked 4 planes, and circumvented NORAD for long enough to hit 3 out of 4 targets, and that the jetfuel melted the structure enough to cause total collapse into it's own footprints, and also that day small fires and 'unusual magnetic forces' in column number 47 of WTC7 caused that building to collapse completely into its own foot-print.

NIST is based on sound science, and they made sure to fire any scientist that started asking questions that 'defied science' by suggestion that explosives seem to have been in the buildings...
please, one conspiracy per thread!!! and take these others to conspiracy section of this forum....its called staying on topic!!!
I'm gonna need a tin hat to protect me from the tin hat crowd..:shock:

Last edited:
please, one conspiracy per thread!!! and take these others to conspiracy section of this forum....its called staying on topic!!!
I'm gonna need a tin hat to protect me from the tin hat crowd..:shock:

No it's called using analogy;

Look, if you deny conspiracy, then you deny the holocaust, which could have only happened through a conspiracy in the government at the time. I'm sorry that the idea of conspiracy makes you uncomfortable; but what I've talked about is known and accepted. Not conspiracies

The video was in response to a question... And even then, I simply recited the NIST explanaition of events. Go find the newest revision of the NIST report for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom